ESPN Believes Cards Can Be a Quick Rebuild.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You don't think letting the fans and community that support you know who you are? Or even the wider NFL?

You don't think it's concerning that the guy that's normally the center of attention, the big cheese, the golden boy wants no publicity?

You're not concerned that the traits normally found in reclusive loners aren't normally those found in good leaders?

He talks to the media regularly as required. Does he need to be more attention seeking? Isn't that what people get criticized on a regular basis?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He talks to the media regularly as required. Does he need to be more attention seeking? Isn't that what people get criticized on a regular basis?

It's not attention seeking. Are you suggesting literally every other QB in the league is just an attention seeker and Kyler has it right?

Or do you think it more likely the single outlier in the whole league might be a bit odd? Not only the whole league now. Maybe the whole league ever.

Not a single 5 minute spot on GMFB, Rich Eisen, Pat McAfee etc at all in 4 years? Not a single podcast with a fellow player or someone he used to play with? Not even a local radio spot?

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's not attention seeking. Are you suggesting literally every other QB in the league is just an attention seeker and Kyler has it right?

Or do you think it more likely the single outlier in the whole league might be a bit odd? Not only the whole league now. Maybe the whole league ever.

What? He's just not specifically comfortable with media, some are. Some are attention seeking, though.

Does every QB have regular interactions with media outside of the normal? Does every "locker room leader" also?

He's probably more on the football side rather than the entertainment side, which includes interacting with the talking heads.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Every single one huh? On a regular basis?

Kyler did do a media piece and he kinda bombed it and he was awkward as f**k. Obviously it's not his thing and probably self conscious about it. I still fail to see what that has to do with anything football or locker room leadership. He does what he has to.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
WGAF about stupid media tours

Me.

You don't think it's indicative of a character flaw? That one of the few black QB's and former #1 overall pick has done zero media outside the mandated weekly press conference in 4 years? That's got to be a first.

He doesn't do any charity work either. No public relations stuff at all. He goes to work, he goes home, as soon as the season ends he goes to Dallas.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Me.

You don't think it's indicative of a character flaw? That one of the few black QB's and former #1 overall pick has done zero media outside the mandated weekly press conference in 4 years? That's got to be a first.

He doesn't do any charity work either. No public relations stuff at all. He goes to work, he goes home, as soon as the season ends he goes to Dallas.
Several things you said are just factually incorrect.

We get it, you don't care for the dude. And if it's just you having this much of an issue then it's not much of an issue.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Every single one huh? On a regular basis?

Kyler did do a media piece and he kinda bombed it and he was awkward as f**k. Obviously it's not his thing. I still fail to see what that has to do with football or locker room.

Yup. Every single one on the regular.

It has everything to do with football. How you are as a person is how you are as a player. No media, no charity work, no PR is just odd and indicates a reclusive, selfish character.

Go to work, go home, play video games.

Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Lamar, Cousins, Dak, heck probably every QB in the league has a charitable foundation. Not Kyler. Even Andy Dalton has one.

You don't think that being the only starting QB (certainly the only high profile one) in the league with no media, no charity work, no PR work and that does nothing in the local community is indicative of some serious character issues?

I know some here are going to defend him but that's just weird. Really weird.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Several things you said are just factually incorrect.

We get it, you don't care for the dude. And if it's just you having this much of an issue then it's not much of an issue.

What's incorrect?

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Me.

How about this one

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How about this one

Next

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
You don't think letting the fans and community that support you know who you are? Or even the wider NFL?

You don't think it's concerning that the guy that's normally the center of attention, the big cheese, the golden boy wants no publicity?

You're not concerned that the traits normally found in reclusive loners aren't normally those found in good leaders?
When EF Hutton speaks, people listen.

He shouldn't need to have everything public and front and center, but when he speaks to his team they need to listen. That's it. That's being a leader.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yup. Every single one on the regular.

It has everything to do with football. How you are as a person is how you are as a player. No media, no charity work, no PR is just odd and indicates a reclusive, selfish character.

Go to work, go home, play video games.

Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Lamar, Cousins, Dak, heck probably every QB in the league has a charitable foundation. Not Kyler. Even Andy Dalton has one.

You don't think that being the only starting QB (certainly the only high profile one) in the league with no media, no charity work, no PR work and that does nothing in the local community is indicative of some serious character issues?

I know some here are going to defend him but that's just weird. Really weird.

Again, the zero of anything is incorrect. It may be low, though.

You are pretty much the only person to have this criticism, even a media hit piece would be salivating at how much he totally doesn't do all of these things. But these general concerns aren't brought up. Other concerns, yes.

Most people are pretty critical of him for a lot of reasons that are pretty widespread in "media" but unrelated to your concerns.

Yeah well, I wish you spent your criticisms on Deshaun Watson at the time and his "character flaws," but made sure to spend your energy defending him. We all pick our battles.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
we watch teams go from totally out of it to winning playoff games in a year or two. The NFL is designed for exactly that.

with a better than average defense, the 2020 (not even the 2021) version of Kyler Murray gets them into the playoffs and are competitive when they are there

to do that: a lot of correct decisions need to be made. We'll see if Monti is the guy

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I couldn't care less if Murray goes on to any show. I also don't care if he's reclusive and protective of his private life...I respect it.

I only care that he respects his coaches and teammates and they respect him, and he works to get better on the field, because that, along with his talent, is what is going to lead to more wins.
I can see both sides of the argument. I agree with this in that being a media wh*** doesn't make you good. Look at Baker Mayfield. That guy has sucked since day 1, yet his face is plastered all over TV and interviews, etc...
However, I do believe being the QB and "face of the franchise", there is a responsibility to be in the limelight and take the heat (both good and bad). Kyler does not seem to do that. Instead of saying "me" or "I", it is always "we" or someone else fault. Like I've said before, his attitude seem to be more like a Cam Newton instead of the other #1's like Lawrence, Burrow, etc...
Perfect example is the Jax/Chargers playoff game. When Lawrence had the terrible first half throwing interception after interception, he was still over there on the sidelines hyping up the OL and rest of offense. I said to my wife, if that was Kyler he would be off at the edge of the bench by himself pouting. Attitude needs to change, starting with a head coach that won't coddle the QB.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When EF Hutton speaks, people listen.

He shouldn't need to have everything public and front and center, but when he speaks to his team they need to listen. That's it. That's being a leader.

Sure. You don't think an ability to handle an 8 minute fluff piece of Rich Eisen about your fat new contract or your MVP calibre season so far and being able to lead a room of 53 guys is related?

Because the 2nd one is harder than the 1st one.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Sure. You don't think an ability to handle an 8 minute fluff piece of Rich Eisen about your fat new contract or your MVP calibre season so far and being able to lead a room of 53 guys is related?

Because the 2nd one is harder than the 1st one.
If he's accomplishing the second, I don't need to see the first.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If they're drafting high, in position to get a young QB, and Kyler doesn't change his attitude, they may be correct. That's a lot of ifs, though. You have to hope your new coach can get through to Kyler and help get his head right. I'd hate the lottery of drafting a high QB, because while there's hope, there's also trepidation. Look what's happened to us after drafting a QB high: no idea if he can get the job done yet. Still worrying about maturity issues. Yeesh!

As to the re-build, it's not going to be a 1-year turnaround simply because of Kyler's injury and the awful shape the roster's in. You can't--and shouldn't--plug so many holes with FA. We have to have a solid draft class to help with that. If Kyler does get his head on right, if our new GM is savvy, and if our new coaching staff is any good, I can see a 2-year turnaround and trip to the playoffs, sure. That's a lot of ifs, too, though.
If frogs have wings them mother ******* will take off flying lol. Here's for hoping for your 2 year turnaround or less bro. So many holes, so many questions. I hope our new GM & asst GM are what they are said to be.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Literally all Brit has to do is google 'Kyler Murray charitable' and pops up dozens of articles showing his public charitable contributions.

We also have no idea what is done anonymously or that media wasn't keyed in on. Apparently going on softball media tours and virtue signaling one's charitable accomplishments on social media is what makes great character nowadays. Pathetic.

More Kyler derangement syndrome.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again, the zero of anything is incorrect. It may be low, though.

You are pretty much the only person to have this criticism, even a media hit piece would be salivating at how much he totally doesn't do all of these things. But these general concerns aren't brought up. Other concerns, yes.

Most people are pretty critical of him for a lot of reasons that are pretty widespread in "media" but unrelated to your concerns.

Yeah well, I wish you spent your criticisms on Deshaun Watson at the time and his "character flaws," but made sure to spend your energy defending him. We all pick our battles.

People rarely pick up on the things not being done. Either way it's very obviously not happening and it's very obviously a very unique thing in the NFL. And anyone with any balance should be concerned that their starting QB has some uniquely negative traits.

Only someone deluding themselves would say that their QB not doing any media, PR, community or charity work in 4 years is a good thing.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
People rarely pick up on the things not being done. Either way it's very obviously not happening and it's very obviously a very unique thing in the NFL. And anyone with any balance should be concerned that their starting QB has some uniquely negative traits.

Only someone deluding themselves would say that their QB not doing any media, PR, community or charity work in 4 years is a good thing.
But Kyler Murray has done those things. As Mao said above, a simple Google search will show you the way.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Literally all Brit has to do is google 'Kyler Murray charitable' and pops up dozens of articles showing his public charitable contributions.

We all have no idea what is done anonymously or that media wasn't keyed in on.

More Kyler derangement syndrome.

Lol this is peak Mao.

I couldn't give a crap he donated $20k to to some youth org. I'm talking about his time. His presence. His actually doing something physical in the community like other QB's do because, you know, he actually cares about something other than himself.

He could even combine the two and pop up on Rich Eisen to push a charity or foundation but I'd settle for just appearing on any media anwhere and talking about himself.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
But Kyler Murray has done those things. As Mao said above, a simple Google search will show you the way.
Which mostly leaves the media section, which is fine. Media sucks. Great for fans, but I wouldn't want to talk to the media a second longer than I have to. And yes, I've been in leadership positions for years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose