Someone Break Down this WR Scenario for me

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
We have 5 WRs who are 5´7¨ to 5´10¨ and 170-175 lbs. Why, how, what, and who? Are we cloning these guys at the practice facility? Can´t we combine a couple of them into one 6´5¨ guy?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
hey dont look at me man....I got dogged by everybody last year when I said I would draft Alec Peirce in the first round.

that 6'3 4.4 guy really looks good now, when there is only 1 tall WR in the draft.

41 catches for 600 yards... not bad for a rookie WR2

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Cardinals have been a finesse team on both sides of the ball during the entire KK regime. Time to get away from that. We obviously need bigger WR's, nastier Linemen on both sides of the ball & if we don't figure out how to use both Simmons & Collins, neither will be contributors moving forward. And we need a RB who's explosive and fast enough to break runs to the house.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals have been a finesse team on both sides of the ball during the entire KK regime. Time to get away from that. We obviously need bigger WR's, nastier Linemen on both sides of the ball & if we don't figure out how to use both Simmons & Collins, neither will be contributors moving forward. And we need a RB who's explosive and fast enough to break runs to the house.
Jahmyr Gibbs rb

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Jahmyr Gibbs rb
He is only 20 years old, so he isn't even filled out yet.

I want us to have a bull dozing RB that puts fear in the other team. One that draws the whole defensive front 7 to him every time he gets the ball. Just think how that would play into Murray's hands if we had a stud at RB like that. I guess that's why I wouldn't mind taking Robinson if we traded back and picked up other R2 picks so we could still fill our other holes with solid rookie players. I think if we had a total of 3 or 4 good R2 and R3 picks after trading back in R1, we would still find players we would like a lot at CB, IOL, DT, DE/OLB. Every year there are several R2-4 players that outperform many of the R1 picks.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I want us to have a bull dozing RB that puts fear in the other team. One that draws the whole defensive front 7 to him every time he gets the ball. Just think how that would play into Murray's hands if we had a stud at RB like that. I guess that's why I wouldn't mind taking Robinson if we traded back and picked up other R2 picks so we could still fill our other holes with solid rookie players. I think if we had a total of 3 or 4 good R2 and R3 picks after trading back in R1, we would still find players we would like a lot at CB, IOL, DT, DE/OLB. Every year there are several R2-4 players that outperform many of the R1 picks.
Gibbs reminds me of Kamara. Has speed, soft hands out of the backfield. His reads and cutbacks are exciting. Makes connors look like he’s running in mud. Not bagging on Connor. There is a role for him.
But a guy like Gibbs can turn a 4 yard run for Connor into a 12 yard run.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gibbs would be a good choice as we need an infusion of speed at RB
That’s an understatement. Connor is a tough SOB. But he needs a complimentary back to give this offense a 1-2 punch.

Speed kills. It’s the difference from turning the corner on a sweep. It turns a 5 yard run into a 12 yard run. And most of all it strikes fear into the heart of defenses. They HAVE to respect it. Add play action off of that and an offense goes from average to very good.
Of course it won’t matter if we can’t put 5 quality linemen in front of him.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That’s an understatement. Connor is a tough SOB. But he needs a complimentary back to give this offense a 1-2 punch.

Speed kills. It’s the difference from turning the corner on a sweep. It turns a 5 yard run into a 12 yard run. And most of all it strikes fear into the heart of defenses. They HAVE to respect it. Add play action off of that and an offense goes from average to very good.
Of course it won’t matter if we can’t put 5 quality linemen in front of him.
Some of us remember the Coryell years well. And we remember how he amped up our passing game with Hart. But, few remember that one of the first things he did was to draft Terry Metcalf. Adding Metcalf to that offense is what made it special. Every time he touched the ball, he was a threat to take it to the house. So much so, that Coryell threw the ball to him often, and had him returning KO’s & punts. Once injuries & his propensity to fumble caught up to him, our offense slowed down. And the threat of Metcalf made Jim Otis a much more lethal element too. This version of the Cardinals needs a Terry Metcalf in the worst way.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of us remember the Coryell years well. And we remember how he amped up our passing game with Hart. But, few remember that one of the first things he did was to draft Terry Metcalf. Adding Metcalf to that offense is what made it special. Every time he touched the ball, he was a threat to take it to the house. So much so, that Coryell threw the ball to him often, and had him returning KO’s & punts. Once injuries & his propensity to fumble caught up to him, our offense slowed down. And the threat of Metcalf made Jim Otis a much more lethal element too. This version of the Cardinals needs a Terry Metcalf in the worst way.
Amen brother. Otis was an underrated beast. And when Metcalf got the ball in his hands our opponents and their fans clenched their collective butts.
We don’t have any player, especially RB that fills that role.
I know rb’s have been devalued… unless you don’t have one.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is only one of those in the entire league right now, Henry. Connor is about as close as you can get to that.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
For what we will be paying Hollywood and these small slot type receivers who scare no one, we could have just paid Kirk. Sad understanding of talent and worth.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I tend to agree with the , Kliff and Kiem essentially constructed the air raid WR room. It wasn't that hard to pick WR's in year one, I think most of us had seen how valuable Maclaurin was at OSU for Haskins and how big Brown and DK were, Isabella was probably someone Kliff thought might work, and at Texas Tech he probably would have but never in the NFL. I think this is why everything had to change, you can't build through the draft if you shop at Purdue, Temple, UMass it never has worked.

Both of those two will never be in the NFL with that much power again, so I think you will see a phase out of the small WR core, I can't imagine a GM getting hired saying, nothing wrong with that room.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree with the , Kliff and Kiem essentially constructed the air raid WR room. It wasn't that hard to pick WR's in year one, I think most of us had seen how valuable Maclaurin was at OSU for Haskins and how big Brown and DK were, Isabella was probably someone Kliff thought might work, and at Texas Tech he probably would have but never in the NFL. I think this is why everything had to change, you can't build through the draft if you shop at Purdue, Temple, UMass it never has worked.

Both of those two will never be in the NFL with that much power again, so I think you will see a phase out of the small WR core, I can't imagine a GM getting hired saying, nothing wrong with that room.
This wide receiver room is built so ass backwards. Dortch fits as a 4th Wr. So does Moore because he can’t stay healthy. He should be splitting time with Dortch.
We don’t know what’s going on with Hopkins. Brown is not really a #1. We lack a bigger 50/50 Wr that can knock over a cb.
I’m thinking Wesley will get every opportunity to be the bigger , taller guy but I doubt he has an impact.
Maybe trade Hopkins and bring in a guy like Slayton… I know he is no Hopkins but did have 70 catches and 700 yards. I’m grasping at straws here I know. But somebody has to replace Hopkins. Maybe a rookie?
Bottom line this Wr room is built with to many of the same parts.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose