Cardinals Hire Titans' Monti Ossenfort as New GM

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Monti is not the first choice. Hahahahaha...hahahahahahaha....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Why do you consider yourself a fan when at the same time you find it funny that bad things happen to the team, as well as that they are getting bad press, and laughed of by all other fans? I mean, why do you want to? It is almost a variation of sadism.

Anyway, if true, there could be several reasons why Cunningham would say no, and none of us know. Maybe something personal happened after his interview. Maybe he was told that Payton were brought in, and that Cunningham would have limited power and had to learn to work with Payton. Maybe his wife didn't like cockroaches. Maybe something else. I mentioned motivational theory in my column. It is essentially about how different people are motivated by different things, so be careful with the immidiate assumption that the Cardinals are a sad, sad organization that nobody wants to go to.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
You make several good points but I think he was as victim of awful pass protection, really poor receivers. I believe he has the skillset to develop when they upgrade the line and get some #1 and #2 receivers. Living in Chicago and and being a Cardinal fan it is somewhat easier to be objective...wish the Cardinals had him as we are stuck with someone who I don't believe has what it takes.
yup, you get it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Absolute poverty franchise. How do you let something like this get out?

What was the hype? He was a remarkably risky draft prospect, and he panned out enough that he got a second contract with the team. He was Offensive Rookie of the Year and a 2x Pro Bowler. If you're thinking about the Evolutionary Michael Vick hype (which has kind of proven accurate) or the MVP hype that Paul Calvisi has been pushing since Kyler's second year, I dunno.

Kyler has an attitude; people who disagree with that are blinding themselves. Whether that attitude is a problem maybe needs more evidence. We're changing the water in the fishbowl over the next couple months; we'll have a better idea of what the root problem is soon.

Hilarious that you think it's a problem with Cunningham. There are only 32 of these roles in the NFL and they don't come along often. How awful must the initial interview have been for Cunningham to turn it down?

How about we don't use some unsubstantiated rumor to slag off the franchise?

If true, Glazer probably got it from Cunningham or someone at the Bears and there are 1000 reasons he may have said no.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He turned it down because this franchise is stuck paying the sulking 4 foot millennial that isnt good at his job.

If he cardinals had a Justin Fields/Herbert/Purdy type he would have taken the job guaranteed.

Kyler Murray is the 800 lb gorilla in the room and no one wants to accept that as long as the cardinals are stuck paying this loser they arent going anywhere.
Oooph. Harsh.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sorry, i should have explained this better for you.

I am saying if we had a cost controlled QB with noticeable upside we wouldnt have the embarrassing reality of people turning down high ranking jobs from the organization.
If I had one question to ask and hoped for a true answer it would be 'who was the champion behind the decision to give Murray a contract like that?" We will never get the truth. That goes for all three of the contracts...

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Still don’t see the whole “it adds up” could be true could not be true. Will we ever know?
If you were looking for a job would you jeopardize your reputation by falsely stating someone offered you a job? Knowing the Cardinal camp could come out and refute your claim? And would most teams be that Tom Petty?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you want certain guarantees in your contract and the most money possible you take all the interviews and try to get your interest trending unless you're a superstar Madonna like Sean Payton

And keep in mind we weren't the sexiest option at the dance, we rarely are lol

Sorry but no. There are only 29 GM jobs. They are incredibly rare. Over the next 5 years Cunningham would be lucky if 5 became available and 4 of 5 will be at bottom tier franchises.

You don't turn them down if they are there or you might never get another.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about we don't use some unsubstantiated rumor to slag off the franchise?

If true, Glazer probably got it from Cunningham or someone at the Bears and there are 1000 reasons he may have said no.
He is part of year 2 of a new regime. The Bears have draft picks and a ton of cap space. Their arrow is pointing up. If he stays with the Bears and they make the playoffs next year how will that look on his resume’?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why do you consider yourself a fan when at the same time you find it funny that bad things happen to the team, as well as that they are getting bad press, and laughed of by all other fans? I mean, why do you want to? It is almost a variation of sadism.

Anyway, if true, there could be several reasons why Cunningham would say no, and none of us know. Maybe something personal happened after his interview. Maybe he was told that Payton were brought in, and that Cunningham would have limited power and had to learn to work with Payton. Maybe his wife didn't like cockroaches. Maybe something else. I mentioned motivational theory in my column. It is essentially about how different people are motivated by different things, so be careful with the immidiate assumption that the Cardinals are a sad, sad organization that nobody wants to go to.
Go check my Arians era posts. I was a Keim and Arians fan. When good things happen I enjoy them. This is not it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is part of year 2 of a new regime. The Bears have draft picks and a ton of cap space. Their arrow is pointing up. If he stays with the Bears and they make the playoffs next year how will that look on his resume’?

If he was even offered it. I don't believe any personnel guy with any sense turns down any GM job ever. They are uber rare and those that do become available are nearly always bottom tier teams.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I take reports like this with a grain of salt.

Cunningham lost a bit of his shine not getting hired by  two franchises in one cycle. Very easy for someone to say they were offered and turned it down, even though he did take the interview.
I dunno. It's probably easier to say nothing, especially in the small world of NFL front offices. What's the benefit to Cunningham to make it up? General managers are very rarely hired on the back of a popular tide.

If the Bears win 12 games and make the playoffs next year, he's going to keep getting interviews.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he was even offered it. I don't believe any personnel guy with any sense turns down any GM job ever. They are uber rare and those that do become available are nearly always bottom tier teams.
True, and maybe the Bears offered him a substantial raise. Maybe he has kids in school. There are a many reasons that makes it really and crazy to speculate on.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hilarious that you think it's a problem with Cunningham. There are only 32 of these roles in the NFL and they don't come along often. How awful must the initial interview have been for Cunningham to turn it down?
I didn't.

Did you read the first part of what I said?

But that slipper sure fits.

I then said, based on him not getting the Titans job, that he looks like ass

For the record that means that him and our franchise look like ass

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dunno. It's probably easier to say nothing, especially in the small world of NFL front offices. What's the benefit to Cunningham to make it up? General managers are very rarely hired on the back of a popular tide.

If the Bears win 12 games and make the playoffs next year, he's going to keep getting interviews.

Interviews where? If he's lucky maybe 1 or 2 jobs comes up next year and that one will likely be a trash org.

Of the 29 jobs available 17 of them have a GM that's been in place 3 years or less and around 10 have entrenched GM's.

The only jobs even vaguely on the line are Telesco and maybe Paton quits because he's been sidelined.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Interviews where? If he's lucky maybe 1 or 2 jobs comes up next year and that one will likely be a trash org.

Of the 29 jobs available 17 of them have a GM that's been in place 3 years or less and around 10 have entrenched GM's.

The only jobs even vaguely on the line are Telesco and maybe Paton quits because he's been sidelined.
It also makes him look unprofessional that he trashes someone trying to promote him.

What a way to cool your career.

Now if he's 'the hot name', maybe it doesn't matter, if he's just one of those guys that bubbles up to the top and doesn't make it, well, whoops.

A thousand guys are trying to reach the top, and he's made it to the cusp, why do it?

As for us, we already know our team's history, him piling on only potentially hurts his.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Cunningham is currently employed by the Bears who have been a dumpster fire for the last ten years. Hard to see how he is comfortable working there but not interested in working for the Cardinals?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Cunningham is currently employed by the Bears who have been a dumpster fire for the last ten years. Hard to see how he is comfortable working there but not interested in working for the Cardinals?
Yep. This sounds like a sour grapes moment. Mike gave him the interview, but then was fixated on Monti. He loses the job in Tennessee to Ran Carthon. So now the question is, why didn't he get either job?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If you're stacked with depth across the board (as the eagles seem to be) it DOES seem to truly be BPA.
The Eagles still need linebackers. If a really good LB was on the board vs. a receiver rated a bit higher, they are taking the LB. Smith is on his rookie contract and AJ Brown just signed an enormous contract. They also have Goedert and Sanders too. Not enough targets to justify taking a receiver there.

Now when Smith is closer to the end of his rookie deal, maybe that receiver is taken instead.
Certainly, the long and short term plan for the players in place plays a role, but as Philly heads toward a predicted deep playoff run, the question asked around these parts is "who do we draft?" Especially considering they will have pick # 10 (?) this year. We can only hope to have that problem one day. So many damn holes across this roster.
The Cardinals do have a lot of holes, but can also free up some cap space this year and extend some contracts out into 2024. They will have the money to remake parts of the roster, but they certainly will have some MEH veterans signed to play fairly important roles.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yep. This sounds like a sour grapes moment. Mike gave him the interview, but then was fixated on Monti. He loses the job in Tennessee to Ran Carthon. So now the question is, why didn't he get either job?
He and Murray seem like they have a similar attitude, they might have been good friends.
You must be registered for see images attach