Who's your candidate to take over as GM?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's AGM, not GM. He didn't call the shots. No idea what his input was, to move from Mitch to Justin. He was part of the brain trust to move from Wentz/Foles to Hurts, though. Again, no idea what his input was.
Okay. The Bears front office isn't doing great. Why hire someone from an organization that doesn't have a good track record?

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
They won 3 times as many games in the first half. 1-8 to finish the season. There’s no defense. Kliff has lost consistently - literally 100% - on the backside of every season he has EVER coached. No outliers. No exceptions to the rule. EVERY SINGLE SEASON.
I'm not defending anything. I'm just saying it's a huge stretch to call it a collapse. You know it as well no matter how you word it. Yes 3 is 3 times as much as one but it's still a 2 game difference no matter how you word it which isn't by any means a collapse. Call the entire season a collapse sure but not a 2nd half collapse.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm not defending anything. I'm just saying it's a huge stretch to call it a collapse. You know it as well no matter how you word it. Yes 3 is 3 times as much as one but it's still a 2 game difference no matter how you word it which isn't by any means a collapse. Call the entire season a collapse sure but not a 2nd half collapse.
I don’t know what to tell you if you don’t think there’s a material difference between starting 3-4 and ending 1-9. One is a 43% win rate the other is 11%.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This makes too much sense for Mike. He get's an outside candidate but one that he knows and has worked for the Org for years.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
So interview the guy that flopped on Trubisky and Fields? Sounds awesome.
I posted some of this earlier. Cunningham is widely regarded as a great talent evaluator. He scouted for years. I think he took the AGM slot to learn more about the other hats a GM has to wear. That lack of knowledge is a concern. My understanding is he was not the primary decision maker on Bears‘ personnel though he certainly gave input. I think the Cards need a personnel-first guy with such a thin roster.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I posted some of this earlier. Cunningham is widely regarded as a great talent evaluator.

one of the problems of the Keim era was that the team got so little out of rounds 4-7 and UDFAs relative to other teams

some of that was Keim trading off those slots (i.e. a 5th rounder for Cody Ford -- good grief), but much was a terrible hit rate. I get most 5-7 picks dont pan out, but the Cards have underachieved here

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I just hope whoever it is has a coherent vision of the type of team they want to build and execute it. Steve seemed to just make random moves in isolation that didn't make a ton of sense when all put together, because he was constantly plugging holes caused by not drafting well over a number of years.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The meh candidate for me is Jerry Reese. Sure they won two Super Bowls but like others pointed out, the headliners for those Super Bowl teams were mostly Accorsi guys. The Giants were real up and down during that era as well.

Lots of meh drafts and their success was buoyed for a long time by Eli Manning.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The meh candidate for me is Jerry Reese. Sure they won two Super Bowls but like others pointed out, the headliners for those Super Bowl teams were mostly Accorsi guys. The Giants were real up and down during that era as well.

Lots of meh drafts and their success was buoyed for a long time by Eli Manning.

The 2007 win maybe but not the 2011 win.

Cruz, Bradshaw, Manningham, JPP, Linval Joseph, Amukamara, Phillips, Jacquan Williams, Aaron Ross, Hakeem Nicks, Pascoe, Will Beaty etc were all Reece draft picks.

And guys like Boley, Grant, Canty and Tynes were his FA signings.

It was only really the O line and Manning that were still Accorsi guys.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A major problem with Reese is that he has been out of football since 2017. He is not current on players, changes, systems etc. You need a GM that can take over on day one and not be in a learning role.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
my speculation: Mike interviewing Reese is a favor to the Mara's -- who i suspect gave him their take on the Cardinals situation

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA