CBS: NFL GM Candidates for 2023

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL at Glen Cook being mentioned. The last thing I would want is anyone from the Brownies organization.

49ers assistant GM would be a strong experienced out of the box hire.

It's totally going to be Adrian Wilson though.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's totally going to be Adrian Wilson though.

Even the CBS article hints at it:

Cardinals VP of pro personnel Adrian Wilson: Wilson's in the Cardinals Ring of Honor and a beloved member of the franchise. He flirted with the Jaguars GM job when it was thought Byron Leftwich would get the gig there. He and Harris have the trust of team owner Michael Bidwill.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don't say anything like that to give MB even an inkling of a thought that those two would be fine with us around here. Get new blood from outside the organization.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harris has several more years working in the FO, though...and had to be scrappy as a player, to carve out a 5-6 year career. I think I'd rather have him, if it comes down to AW and Harris.

100%

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Without knowing most to any extent and would definitely want to look close at 49ers assistant GM Adam Peters.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Wilson is probably a shoe-in for the job, however I wish they would go after Borgonzi from KC. Fourteen seasons in that organization hopefully taught him how to draft and manage a roster.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Wilson is probably a shoe-in for the job, however I wish they would go after Borgonzi from KC. Fourteen seasons in that organization hopefully taught him how to draft and manage a roster.
I'm a broken record here, but it should be Harris, if it's between the two.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
I would prefer an outside hire. Someone from an organization that has a long track record of success. The whole organization needs to change. I have seen in my professional career how a good CEO can change the culture of an organization. We need that change and it will not come from an inside hire.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We might not need to track separate GM and Head Coach hires if we pick the right guy. ;)

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Harris has several more years working in the FO, though...and had to be scrappy as a player, to carve out a 5-6 year career. I think I'd rather have him, if it comes down to AW and Harris.
Agreed.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I'm a broken record here, but it should be Harris, if it's between the two.
I think Wilson gets it simply because I believe he's been around longer than Harris. If Bidwill really wants to clean the slate an outside person is a requirement.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think Wilson gets it simply because I believe he's been around longer than Harris. If Bidwill really wants to clean the slate an outside person is a requirement.
Harris has like 6 more years in the FO than AW. Harris had a shorter playing career and immediately went to the scouting department. Spent many more years at each level, where AW was more fast tracked upward.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Harris has like 6 more years in the FO than AW. Harris had a shorter playing career and immediately went to the scouting department. Spent many more years at each level, where AW was more fast tracked upward.

True, but it doesn't make one better than the other at FO duties IMO.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Well then maybe Harris is the lead candidate. Still don't ant either one.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly if they're going to try and get Payton, and it sounds like they likely are, they can't really hire a GM first like you normally do. Payton is going to want input on the GM so unless they know for a fact he likes AW, or someone else, they're going to have to go after Payton first.

That's actually one of my concerns we'll chase Payton, he won't pick us, and we'll have missed on other coaches, and GM's, while chasing him.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Honestly if they're going to try and get Payton, and it sounds like they likely are, they can't really hire a GM first like you normally do. Payton is going to want input on the GM so unless they know for a fact he likes AW, or someone else, they're going to have to go after Payton first.

That's actually one of my concerns we'll chase Payton, he won't pick us, and we'll have missed on other coaches, and GM's, while chasing him.

Lots of positions being poached from playoff teams, so there's gunna be some delay for everyone.

I think SP news will come pretty quickly if both L.A and Dalllas win this weekend and the Rams are still either locked/limbo by then.

Last edited:

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Looks like Monti Ossenfort is an option. Most of his career with Patriots and Titans.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Would Wilson/Harris come into play with a Payton hiring as he would want more control?

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose