Cardinal Round 1 Can't Miss Options

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
When one picks as high as Cards are projected at in the upcoming '23 draft, you would be wise and are expected to choose one of the few "can't miss" prospects to be successful. To hell with need, you have to hit on a sure winner, your future rests on it.

Expecting up to 3 of the picks leading to the Cards' selection (projected currently to be 6-8) to be QBs, that leaves let's say 5 'can't miss' prospects one hopes exist in this draft for our Cards. I believe I can safely list up to 5/6 here, and in doing so, hope the Cards (and Keim) can keep it simple by staying on this script. Here are the ones that seem to fit the bill in the order I personally rate them. I deliberately left off QBs, CBs, WRs, and those players with any substantial number of or any serious injuries, along with positions of such depth where players' abilities were hard to rank and separate, like CB.

Will Anderson Jr., Edge, Alabama
Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia
Myles Murphy, Edge, Clemson
Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas
Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern
Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State

If you wonder why I would include Robinson, well I feel we passed on LaDaimian Tomlinson in 2001 and Adrian Peterson in 2007, so I listed him as simply another opportunity to get a premium RB which comes along only once every 5-10 years at best.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Jalen Carter sounds like a stud. Probably goes top 5 no?

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
When one picks as high as Cards are projected at in the upcoming '23 draft, you would be wise and are expected to choose one of the few "can't miss" prospects to be successful. To hell with need, you have to hit on a sure winner, your future rests on it.

Expecting up to 3 of the picks leading to the Cards' selection (projected currently to be 6-8) to be QBs, that leaves let's say 5 'can't miss' prospects one hopes exist in this draft for our Cards. I believe I can safely list up to 5/6 here, and in doing so, hope the Cards (and Keim) can keep it simple by staying on this script. Here are the ones that seem to fit the bill in the order I personally rate them. I deliberately left off QBs, CBs, WRs, and those players with any substantial number of or any serious injuries, along with positions of such depth where players' abilities were hard to rank and separate, like CB.

If you wonder why I would include Robinson, well I feel we passed on LaDaimian Tomlinson in 2001 and Adrian Peterson in 2007, so I listed him as simply another opportunity to get a premium RB which comes along only once every 5-10 years at best.
with all the needs this team has, if they go out and draft a f'ng running back my head will explode

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, these are all the guys Keim is gonna pass on, right?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lot is going to be down to QBs.

Firstly, I think this class isn't great. There's none I'd happily take top 3.

Second, who needs a QB? Panthers? They have a 3rd round QB might role with.

Texans, Colts, Washington. Maybe Bucs if Brady quits.

I'm not convinced 3 QBs go above us like they would most years.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I've been so wrong the last few years that I don't even want to play anymore.

Regardless..... Keim will make the worst possible selection IMO so it won't matter very much.

My recommendation. Rush the passer and protect the QB.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lot is going to be down to QBs.

Firstly, I think this class isn't great. There's none I'd happily take top 3.

Second, who needs a QB? Panthers? They have a 3rd round QB might role with.

Texans, Colts, Washington. Maybe Bucs if Brady quits.

I'm not convinced 3 QBs go above us like they would most years.
Many qb's selected in the top 10 recently weren't considered a top 10 pick 5 months before the draft

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I'm sure Robinson is VG. But remember Saquan (Sp?) Barkley was/is VG, but am not sure if was a great pick because of injuries. Thus I hope Robinson doesn't get picked by Arizona with a top ten pick.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Our D would have been significantly better if we had any Edge threat whatsoever. Can't imagine us not drafting Edge.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I've been shocked by Josh Jones's play at LT, because I thought he flat out stunk at RT, and was below average at G. But we don't need another LT! It's so Cardinals that we have two capable LTs and are below average at every other o-line position.

We might be able to squeeze one more year out of Beachum, but we desperately need quality FA and draft capital spent on all three interior oline spots. And please don't plug in Hayes as a starter for 2023. We'll be lucky if he's a reliable depth player.

Maybe we could trade back to get two lower first round picks and draft a quality C and G? Then pick up a good G in FA?

When one of the draft gurus has a moment, please let us know the draft projections for the top C and top G in this years class.

Last edited:

Card4Life

Rookie
Reaction score
I'd build my O-Line and D-Line (preferably an edge rusher) at all costs. If I had to place priority on one, I would go O-Line first. In an effort to try and make himself look smart, Keim has gambled the last few years on a couple of guys (Simmons and Collins), while completely ignoring the gaping holes that we need to fill.

I've stuck by this team since the Jim Hart and Terry Metcalf days and have surely experienced my share of pain as a fan. What makes these times so disappointing, is that most all of this is self inflicted by incompetence at the highest levels of the organization.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you guys think there's enough tape of Jones at LT that we could maybe trade him for a pick?

Considering Jones has played exactly the same level as Hump and Jones is younger and far cheaper would it not make more sense to trade Hump?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Yes his value is very high, but I wouldn’t give him up. This draft has lots of OLs, so the return would be reduced.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Do any of our intern GM's know that the NFL has a trade deadline? And if they are talking about the offseason, please say so. I need a laugh more than anyone, but to read a question of whether any team needs a LT, I'll go with my old Archie comics.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Our biggest needs are center, guard, and running back on offense and cornerback, edge rusher and tackle on defense. I don't want to draft a running back in round one and don't like the idea of drafting one of the highly rated tackles with with the idea of playing him at guard for a year or two.

Considering that Jalen Carter will be taken before us, that leaves us with either a cornerback or edge rusher in round one. Pick the best one at either of those positions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose