2022 World Cup Thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get what they're doing with the expanded format, changing to 3 group games so that there aren't any extra games played. 3 group games + an extra round. That said, I don't like it.
I don't get it. There was already 3 group games, each team playing each other once?

:confused:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I absolutely love it. If they don't want additional time added, stop allowing players to take over 30 seconds to throw the ball in from the sidelines, or faking injuries. Or substitutions that take 1-2 minutes that weren't added on. The extra time this World Cup is something that FIFA has done right this time. Not every game has the crazy long minutes.
I get what you are saying and I do want the refs to get the call right. if the players are time wasting and there are injuries the ref should absolutely add time. In the wc games that I've watched the VAR reviews have been quick, but I haven't seen every match.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I wonder if it's easier with offside as the computers are modeling the position of a pair of fully dimensional objects

Boundary plays you have a sphere and that is really it.

Tennis technology is good, but it's a smaller ball and is at the impact point

Wonder if they could arrange the goal post or another fixed object to be aligned with the line and then compare the positioning similar to offsides or put in a camera on the post and by the flag similar to the pylon cameras in the NFL

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blah, sorry, I meant groups of 3 teams, not 3 group games. So lowering it to TWO group games won't raise the number of overall games.
Ouch. Not sure I like only 2 group games unless there are quite a few at large spots.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. They're saying it will be easier for the big teams to get through, squeezing out the minnows. Plus we'll lack the tenseness of those third games, like when Mexico and Germany went out.
The 3rd game tenseness was the best part of the WC so far. Sigh. It made me yearn for the days when Picture in Picture was still available on TVs.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I kind of like the 16-3 team grouping, it makes for these games being more important and wins more important instead of playing for draws. The problem with it is one of the teams playing the first game gets more time off between games than the other two teams do. That is an inherent advantage to the team that gets more off days before playing their second game.

The 12/4 team format keeps time off even for all four teams. The problem here is you have 24 advance, then you need to have 8 at of the 12 third place teams fill the brackets to get to 32 teams so you can have even numbers to get to two finalist. This to me ends up being like the NBA playoffs, you play 3 games and yet you only eliminate 16 or a third of the field after group play.

The US, Mexico and Canada will get automatic bids because they are host countries.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Hopefully this generation of US players is just starting to build and doesn't land with the same thud

My main complaint is the start time - not because it's early, I'm dumb enough to set an alarm and watch serie b.......

My son has a tournament have this weekend - girls are like an hour away and he had to check in at 9

What are the odds I can avoid the score at a soccer tournament?!?!?
My son has a soccer scrimmage (tournament next weekend though)... they tried to change the time with no success, and I am pretty emphatic that I'm staying home and watching the game.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I kind of like the 16-3 team grouping, it makes for these games being more important and wins more important instead of playing for draws. The problem with it is one of the teams playing the first game gets more time off between games than the other two teams do. That is an inherent advantage to the team that gets more off days before playing their second game.

The 12/4 team format keeps time off even for all four teams. The problem here is you have 24 advance, then you need to have 8 at of the 12 third place teams fill the brackets to get to 32 teams so you can have even numbers to get to two finalist. This to me ends up being like the NBA playoffs, you play 3 games and yet you only eliminate 16 or a third of the field after group play.

The US, Mexico and Canada will get automatic bids because they are host countries.
Problem is, there will be a lot more draws. Teams with 1 point can conceivably advance. No bueno for the quality.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Problem is, there will be a lot more draws. Teams with 1 point can conceivably advance. No bueno for the quality.
Can you imagine the chaos if all three teams played to draws with the same score in each game. No goal differential, no most goals scored and no head to head advantage.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Round of 16 starts tomorrow

Saturday, Dec. 3:

• Match 49: Netherlands vs. United States (10 a.m. EST, Khalifa International Stadium)
  • Match 50: Argentina vs. Australia (2 p.m. EST, Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium)
Sunday, Dec. 4:

• Match 52: France vs. Poland (10 a.m. EST, Al Thumama Stadium)
  • Match 51: England vs. Senegal (2 p.m. EST, Al Bayt Stadium)
Monday, Dec. 5:

• Match 53: Japan vs. Croatia (10 a.m. EST, Al Janoub Stadium)
  • Match 54: Brazil vs. South Korea (2 p.m. EST, Stadium 974)
Tuesday, Dec. 6:

• Match 55: Morocco vs. Spain (10 a.m. EST Education City Stadium)
  • Match 56: Portugal vs. Switzerland (2 p.m. EST, Lusail Stadium)

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Happy to see South Korea go through. this has a 2002 feel to it.

and the Ghana fans were really sticking it to the Uruguay fans after they realized they wouldn't go though. payback for 2010.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The US has possession, has had some solid chances but finds themselves down 2-0. It’s the difference between making your chances count and not. The next cycle this team really needs to find a solid striker.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Well that is all she wrote. Unmarked man at the far post buries it

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Hopefully Dike, who is only 22, develops between now and 2026 to a striker we can count on.
he's a player I enjoy to watch. Pepi and Pefok are others. We also have a young player at FC Rangers who is not really known, Malik Tillman who is scoring big goals there. Dike had injuries that I think killed his chances of making this team. I still look at the Jordan Morris selection and wonder if one of the other young players who were left off could have had an impact, but I just wonder if Berhalter was trying to get some experience into this team where he could.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose