OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you really feel? :lol:
15% of the houses in my neighborhood are short term rentals. Most are advertised as party houses - companies are out there advertising Scottsdale has the bachelorette party capital of the world. They come in and buy these houses do cheap repairs on them turn their backyards into party oasis and then are unreachable when it comes to noise complaints

And the state GOP has banned cities from doing much regulation of them

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
15% of the houses in my neighborhood are short term rentals. Most are advertised as party houses - companies are out there advertising Scottsdale has the bachelorette party capital of the world. They come in and buy these houses do cheap repairs on them turn their backyards into party oasis and then are unreachable when it comes to noise complaints

And the state GOP has banned cities from doing much regulation of them
I hate that! If a city wanted to make regulations on short term rentals, they should be able to do it.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope every single one of those MF‘s lose their shirt. STR‘s have infested neighborhoods and ruined them.
sheesh man, some people have invested their hard earned money into real estate and are just trying to improve their financial situation through short term rentals. I get you probably have some noisy neighbors but to hope everyone who has an airbnb loses their shirt is just.....uncaring

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sheesh man, some people have invested their hard earned money into real estate and are just trying to improve their financial situation through short term rentals. I get you probably have some noisy neighbors but to hope everyone who has an airbnb loses their shirt is just.....uncaring
They bought up house that people need to LIVE IN with the eye to making easy money, not caring about the neighborhood or the impact it had on the residents. If they didn’t give a damn about me why should I give a damn about them?

My house is a huge investment for me. It’s where I live it’s my life to have it negatively impact just so some greedy investors can try to make easy money and then I’m supposed to feel sorry for them if they don’t?

Did they do anything for me when they were raking in money during the pandemic? Hell no. Basically told all of us to F off and deal with it

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But it’s really kind of BS. STR has essentially put zoning laws in their head. These are zoned residential for a reason. There are commercial zones for hotels. If someone airbnbs their pad a couple/few times per year but otherwise lives there or rents it to a permanent resident, that’s one thing, but if these properties are essentially now being used as the tiniest of boutique hotels, it’s just skirting zoning laws. And those laws exist for a reason.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They bought up house that people need to LIVE IN with the eye to making easy money, not caring about the neighborhood or the impact it had on the residents. If they didn’t give a damn about me why should I give a damn about them?

My house is a huge investment for me. It’s where I live it’s my life to have it negatively impact just so some greedy investors can try to make easy money and then I’m supposed to feel sorry for them if they don’t?

Did they do anything for me when they were raking in money during the pandemic? Hell no. Basically told all of us to F off and deal with it
there are plenty of people who move on from a home or rent it out and/or airbnb is. Not every real estate investor is a venture capitalist.

You're basically insinuating that all airbnbs are mega corps trying to ruin your neighborhood and rooting for mom and pop people who rented out an old home to fail because of it.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But it’s really kind of BS. STR has essentially put zoning laws in their head. These are zoned residential for a reason. There are commercial zones for hotels. If someone airbnbs their pad a couple/few times per year but otherwise lives there or rents it to a permanent resident, that’s one thing, but if these properties are essentially now being used as the tiniest of boutique hotels, it’s just skirting zoning laws. And those laws exist for a reason.
I see zero difference between airbnb-ing my second home vs renting it out to someone on a year long lease.

Sure, some airbnb landlords are probably asshats, but, to demonize them all is just discrimination.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct.

Example - ALL of the 15 or so houses in my neighborhood that are STR used to be occupied full time by residents. 15 houses out of the housing pool, 15 houses being used as hotels in a residential neighborhood.

If a house was used by a snowbird 5 months out of the year, and rented out in the summer, that would be fine, because the owner would be more careful about the rental.

The original purpose of Airbnb was to rent out a spare room, or a back house, or a summer home to fill in gaps when the owner wasn't there. Not as a permanent hotel.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are plenty of people who move on from a home or rent it out and/or airbnb is. Not every real estate investor is a venture capitalist.

You're basically insinuating that all airbnbs are mega corps trying to ruin your neighborhood and rooting for mom and pop people who rented out an old home to fail because of it.
Majority are mega corps.

I would be ok with rules like Atlanta has - an owner can only own ONE non-occupied AirBnb, and they have to be an Atlanta resident, with contact information available to the neighborhood, plus they could rent out rooms in their own house.

That would be fine. But when you have corporations owning hundreds of AirBnB's, or the investor buying them and turning 4 or 5 over to a property manager, then that is not acceptable.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All I'll say is.... Don't hate the player. Hate the game. The big players have been doing this since easy money has existed. Post 2000-2008. It's now just becoming more recognized in today's day and age because of the technology presence of the Airbnbs of the world. That same issue will fix itself when people don't have the money to pay the prices that are being asked. We are seeing it now. My posted tweet from earlier was just one example.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I see zero difference between airbnb-ing my second home vs renting it out to someone on a year long lease.
That's a wild take. You don't see a difference in people at a rental for a party weekend, and someone signing up for 1 year lease at property? Not the same beast by any measure.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a wild take. You don't see a difference in people at a rental for a party weekend, and someone signing up for 1 year lease at property? Not the same beast by any measure.
Yup - not to mention the constant turnover, never knowing who SHOULD be there, not knowing how to handle garbage (I had to call the city over the Airbnb next to me because they kept missing the garbage pick up, and had three weeks worth of garbage bags piled up against our adjoining wall). Next week they had their garbage can piled high on the street, and caught the cleaning lady fill my can to overflowing with more garbage (which is illegal in Scottsdale), no respect for the neighborhood, etc

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clearly they are different scenarios, but, its my house.

The problem is with the mega corps, and, thats fine. but to wish all of airbnb loses its shirts, is just....whatever. You guys do as you want.

every airbnb I have stayed in has rules against these claims as well.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clearly they are different scenarios, but, its my house.

The problem is with the mega corps, and, thats fine. but to wish all of airbnb loses its shirts, is just....whatever. You guys do as you want.

every airbnb I have stayed in has rules against these claims as well.
Rules are worthless if they’re not enforced

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Sure, some airbnb landlords are probably asshats, but, to demonize them all is just discrimination.
There’s a huge difference in the behavior of people that are going to be your neighbors and those that are there for a party weekend. Cmon man.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Good things are that there are free foreclosures, loans are still secured, and hopefully the people gobbling up STRs are becoming fewer and fewer. Maybe they'll start selling as well to help correct the marketv for actual occupant buyers.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

90! o_O
90%! Not saying it's not true, but that's like saying they almost have ZERO applications. These houses are still selling. Just taking longer for less.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose