Things Don’t Look Much Brighter Despite Record

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Considering the historic failure of this franchise it shouldn’t be surprising that the fan base includes a sizable number of optimists or they wouldn‘t keep selling all those tickets. I’m sure several of them will object to this post. However, IMO, they continue to be victims of wishful thinking.

I’ll be told the Cards are 2-2, not great, but not a cause for major alarm. My concern is simple. Sunday I saw one of the worst performances by a Cardinal team that I have witnessed. This is a bad team, though not all bad. However I don’t see the playoffs in their future. First, consider who they have beaten; quite possibly the 2 worst teams in the league. Second, consider it took until the second half of the fourth game for the Cards even to acquire a lead during regulation time. Third, if this isn’t the worst play calling and play design you’ve seen, I’m surprised you still view football. Assuming they are not decimated by injury, the team will get better when Hopkins returns. Just not enough better for a successful season.

Certainly the defense has exceeded expectations, though I don’t see them beating many teams that have a good passing offense. The Cards’ offense is perhaps the most predictable I’ve seen. Consider the use of Rondale Moore. The Cards have been saying how his absence has limited the offense’s options. Yet, Sunday did we see any impact plays by Moore? In fact, they weren’t even really attempted unless you count those weird behind the line calls. Dortch, who has been one of the few offense threats, was largely ignored except for punt returns. They finally did run Murray some, but not enough. The Cards’ offensive alignments and personnel packages virtually telegraphed what the play would be. Thus Carolina often seemed to be in the perfect defensive alignment for almost every play. I’ve covered elsewhere issues of red zone strategy and timeout usage. The level of chaos is staggering. So much so it appeared at one point Murray and Kingsbury were shouting at each other.

Next week the Cards play the Eagles. The Eagles are undefeated, but looked terrible last Sunday. That said, this figures to be a bad matchup for the Cards. The Eagles dropped an incredible number of passes. Hurts is not a great passer, but he’s decent and a solid rushing threat. If they don’t keep him contained he’ll burn them. AJ Brown will required safety assistance over the top. They use 3 WRs often, employing numerous crossing routes to confuse the CBs. He’s a special player, like Hopkins. The Eagles defense was sound against both the rush and the pass. The Eagles got penetration and constantly harassed Lawrence. If the Cards start slowly again, they will risk getting blown out.

I don’t see a path to victory in this game. The Eagles are a far better team than expected. They are well coached and even if the Cards take a step forward it won’t likely be enough.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sunday I saw one of the worst performances by a Cardinal team that I have witnessed.
Really?

Worse than 44-21 at home four weeks ago?
Worse than 34-11 in the playoffs nine months ago?
Worse than 34-10 against this same team last season?

Maybe you just didn't watch these games, but a win is a win, and this team didn't look appreciably better or worse than the one we saw the past three weeks to me.

First, consider who they have beaten; quite possibly the 2 worst teams in the league.

The Houston Texans and Washington Commies would like a word with you.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really?

Worse than 44-21 at home four weeks ago?
Worse than 34-11 in the playoffs nine months ago?
Worse than 34-10 against this same team last season?

Maybe you just didn't watch these games, but a win is a win, and this team didn't look appreciably better or worse than the one we saw the past three weeks to me.

The Houston Texans and Washington Commies would like a word with you.
Exactly. I was just about to post something similar. If this is the worst performances he has seen, he can't possibly see that many games.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Talk about exaggeration. No way was this one of the "worst performances" by a Cardinal team. You have to consider the context of "worst Cardinal performances," which covers a lot of ground. This one wasn't even close. Just go back to game one of this season or last year's playoff disaster...now those were some of the "worst performances." Oh the memories.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and people say I'm negative!

all cheese ever needs is just a SHRED of hope. 2-2 gives me enough shred not to focus on the negatives and be happy that we haven't dug ourselves into a season ending hole before October.

who knows... maybe we pull a shocker next week! (and please lord let that happen... one of me, @Ouchie-Z-Clown and @daves best friends is an INSUFFERABLE Eagles fan. Would be great to shove that game right up his actual New Jersey-ass.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

all cheese ever needs is just a SHRED of hope. 2-2 gives me enough shred not to focus on the negatives and be happy that we haven't dug ourselves into a season ending hole before October.

who knows... maybe we pull a shocker next week! (and please lord let that happen... one of me, @Ouchie-Z-Clown and @daves best friends is an INSUFFERABLE Eagles fan. Would be great to shove that game right up his actual New Jersey-ass.
Josh McCown is the answer

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was already counting on this team losing this week and winning next week. Yet somehow a Geno Smith led offense just scored 48 points while Kyler keeps struggling in the first half.

I think cheese is rubbing off on me.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Getting Wesley and Hopkins back make this offense much better and asding Hamilton back help depth in a secondary that is much better than expected.
Agree with the above, and I also hope that when our NT (Lawrence) returns and teams with Watt and Allen our DL will be good. Gardeck and Golden have to improve our pass rush. If we can finish our first six games, no D Hop, 3-3, we'll still have a shot at the playoffs.

The bad news was Harry's scouting of the Eagles, who will be a very tough opponent. Harry did mention that they dropped a lot of passes, last week, which gave me hope. But then I remembered the terrible weather conditions that they played in.

Still a lot of FB to be played.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Gambo himself said that they wouldn't have beaten any other team in the NFL yesterday with the way they played, and he's on state tv! Can anyone here say they've seen an uglier overall FIRST HALF of football than yesterday? That was just crap on the field.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose