Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Former Disney CEO Bob Iger, Amazon founder and ex-CEO Jeff Bezos, Oracle co-founder and past CEO Larry Ellison and Washington Wizards minority governor Laurene Powell Jobs (the widow of Apple co-founder and ex-CEO Steve Jobs) are expected to be interested in buying the Phoenix Suns and Mercury.”

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Former Disney CEO Bob Iger, Amazon founder and ex-CEO Jeff Bezos, Oracle co-founder and past CEO Larry Ellison and Washington Wizards minority governor Laurene Powell Jobs (the widow of Apple co-founder and ex-CEO Steve Jobs) are expected to be interested in buying the Phoenix Suns and Mercury.”

I can’t remember the last Ramona was right about anything.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Jobs could sell her 20% of the Wizards and buy the whole enchilada with her pocket change. Well, it wouldn't break her.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Larry Ellison has been trying to buy a team for ages, not sure how he hasn't landed one yet. Dude is absolutely loaded, he certainly seems like the type who would throw a ton of money towards winning a title.

If he buys them Monty and Jones will have a lot of pressure to win big.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if the future expansion to Seattle and Las Vegas takes some of the big wigs off the table. It seems like the richest of the rich would be more inclined to throw their money at one of the expansion teams.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'd like to see Larry Fitz be a part of a group, where he can increase his ownership...Maybe he gets with TB12 and a few others??? I guess it depends on of the entire team is sold or if Sarver is just bought out of his %.
No. This is how you get cash strapped ownership. Basketball
Loving Billionaire or bust.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m putting together a group for ownership as starting with the forum members here. Think of the basketball wisdom and value we bring to the table! Sure, there may be occasional fights and arguments over roster spot #15, but we’re about results and will get stuff done!

Many people of us have owned fantasy basketball teams which is really no different.

Who’s in?!
I will pay one dollar more than anyone else to be the governor of the team.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Just read Sarver's statement on selling the team again and I'm even more ecstatic that he's selling.

What a pompous a-hole. There was none percent chance it would work with him and he should know that. It's not about an "unforgiving climate"...it's the fact that he still doesn't think he did anything wrong and few people could ever get over that.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am SHOCKED Sarver folded so easily! I was willing to bet he was going to hold on out of spite. I bet Draymond starting the pressure on other owners, had a few of those owners from other teams calling Sarver and letting him know they would have to vote to strip him of ownership. That would make the Suns cheaper when he has to sell from a weak position. Sarver is no dummy when it comes to money. He is a fool when it comes to people. That pompous letter announcing the sale and blaming everyone else for his troubles shows he will never learn. In the end, Sarver will end up with a billion dollars.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just read Sarver's statement on selling the team again and I'm even more ecstatic that he's selling.

What a pompous a-hole. There was none percent chance it would work with him and he should know that. It's not about an "unforgiving climate"...it's the fact that he still doesn't think he did anything wrong and few people could ever get over that.
Yup. He’s total pondscum, making himself the victim here.

It’s ludicrously tone deaf and lacking any self-awareness, whatsoever.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw something interesting about Chris Paul being ownership cancer, in a way. Initially he started his career in New Orleans and before leaving the league bought out the owner, placing it under league control for his final time there.

Of course in LA he dealt with the Sterling nonsense.

He was in Houston and the team was sold after his first season there.

Now this situation with the Suns.

OKC is the only club he was part of that didn't have an ownership change during his time there. 4/5 has to be a record of sorts though.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw something interesting about Chris Paul being ownership cancer, in a way. Initially he started his career in New Orleans and before leaving the league bought out the owner, placing it under league control for his final time there.

Of course in LA he dealt with the Sterling nonsense.

He was in Houston and the team was sold after his first season there.

Now this situation with the Suns.

OKC is the only club he was part of that didn't have an ownership change during his time there. 4/5 has to be a record of sorts though.

Other than Houston, you could say he isn't cancer, he is the cure.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'm not against Iger the way some seem to be since it takes more than money to be a good owner(Sterling was the richest NBA owner for most of the time he had the Clippers) and I think he'd have more than sufficient backing along with ability to run an organization, but those are some serious deep pockets being mentioned.
Yup. I almost crashed my car when I heard bezos name come up on nba radio.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol is Trump really in consideration to maybe buy the Suns? I'd find that soooooo az hilarious

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

What a great ownership group they would all make together. I think we wouldn’t have to worry about cash with all of them on board. They should do it.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't find it funny in any way. That would be the one thing that would make me leave 47 years of Phoenix Suns fandom behind.
It was just an example of a potential controversial owner - and could the NBA block such a sale

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m ecstatic about Sarver selling, but I do admit all the talk of billionaires makes me a bit sad. In a different universe the Suns could be owned by a nonprofit corporation like the Packers. On a different scale, three of the CFL teams my extended family cheers for are owned by them as well, as are a few minor league baseball clubs.

I can only hope there’s some kind of Arizona or Suns connection for the new ownership, but even that is less likely in sports as time goes on.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knicks fans would probably be on board with offering 7 first round picks for Paul if he can get rid of Dolan.

Oddly enough, that's exactly where the conversation went right after it was brought up how owners don't survive CP3.

I do kinda wish he could have ousted Clay Bennett from OKC for stealing the team from Seattle and being too cheap to keep Harden, Durant, and Westbrook together. He never let allowed them a real opportunity to see what they could do. Before Harden's rookie deal was up, he sent him packing. All he had to do was amnesty Kendrick Perkins to avoid the luxury tax in year 1 with Ibaka, KD, Russ, and Harden. They could have easily found a ring chaser to fill in for Perk.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
New Orleans - George Shinn
Los Angeles - Donald Sterling
Oklahoma City - Clay Bennett
Phoenix - Robert Sarver

Yeah, Chris Paul was obviously to blame for the ownership issues where he played....