Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. Acting like or avoiding mentioning the incident is a disservice to the seriousness (using the N word) and deemphasizes the seriousness of all the allegations. Nobody wants to debate the merits of using the word.
The problem I have is it's too close to policing thoughts. Not everyone agrees that the black community owns that word. Sarver bringing it up over and again was stupid but not every non-racist is going to agree that he was being racist. Racially insensitive, yes, racially inappropriate, yes but we don't end careers over that. Or we shouldn't.

I suspect Sarver is a racist but his use of the word in that fashion doesn't rise to the level necessary (IMO) to justify the actions many of us would have liked to see. And everytime someone yells about it, it takes focus from the real issues.

There were more than enough examples of mistreatment of employees to warrant him being removed. And if the focus shifts to the toxic workplace and misogynstic behavior throughout the organization, maybe his supporters will lose the will to support him when they can no longer stand behind "see, he didn't call anyone the n word".

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t care if he’s even just doing this as a power grab… by all means GRAB POWER FROM THAT RACIST, MISOGYNIST PRICK.

Jahm Najafi seems to be the voice of reason within the Suns ownership even if he does not seek to be a managing partner.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even better.
It might be for nothing. Gambo is saying that this guy has bumped heads with Sarver for years and that Sarver has tried to buy him out multiple times because of it. For now, it doesn't appear he has the support of other owners based on the ownership group's initial response.

I am hoping this encourages the others to take a stand.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem I have is it's too close to policing thoughts. Not everyone agrees that the black community owns that word. Sarver bringing it up over and again was stupid but not every non-racist is going to agree that he was being racist. Racially insensitive, yes, racially inappropriate, yes but we don't end careers over that. Or we shouldn't.

I suspect Sarver is a racist but his use of the word in that fashion doesn't rise to the level necessary (IMO) to justify the actions many of us would have liked to see. And everytime someone yells about it, it takes focus from the real issues.

There were more than enough examples of mistreatment of employees to warrant him being removed. And if the focus shifts to the toxic workplace and misogynstic behavior throughout the organization, maybe his supporters will lose the will to support him when they can no longer stand behind "see, he didn't call anyone the n word".
Sorry Steve… when you are told REPEATEDLY not to use that word and then you REPEATEDLY use that word, ESPECIALLY in front of Black people, you’re a freaking racist.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might be for nothing. Gambo is saying that this guy has bumped heads with Sarver for years and that Sarver has tried to buy him out multiple times because of it. For now, it doesn't appear he has the support of other owners based on the ownership group's initial response.

I am hoping this encourages the others to take a stand.
Gambo is making himself look terrible the more he carries water for Sarver.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

That doesn't cut it. "Not everyone agrees in the black community" are people who are not in the black community. The people directly impacted by the history of that word. If you willing use the word knowing that it hurts people, what it means to people and don't care? Sorry, you are racist. You are likely a major a-hole to boot.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not how he came across at all. He was simply pointing out the history between Sarver and Jahm Najafi. Gambo days ago predicted that Najafi would do exactly this. I am saying it doesn't appear he has support of the other minority owners because they already released a statement indicating they support the leagues decision. So, it appears that Jahm is the exception to the group.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope the national attention puts pressure on the other owners who are acting like enabling, sniveling cowards.
That doesn't cut it. "Not everyone agrees in the black community" are people who are not in the black community. The people directly impacted by the history of that word. If you willing use the word knowing that it hurts people, what it means to people and don't care? Sorry, you are racist. You are likely a major a-hole to boot.
I mean… these usually go hand in hand.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Enclosed in the tweet below is a copy of the full letter.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean… these usually go hand in hand.
Gambo predicted a couple days ago that Najafi would be the first minority owner to break away and demand Sarver's resignation based on their turbulent history. He was right. Now all we can hope for is a snowball effect.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don’t see how that’s carrying water he basically called this happening. He also said Sarver and Book have a relationship beyond player-owner so he doesn’t expect a damning statement from him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t see how that’s carrying water he basically called this happening. He also said Sarver and Book have a relationship beyond player-owner so he doesn’t expect a damning statement from him.
He was carrying water yesterday making the “sophomoric locker room talk” argument. When I read Covert’s post it seemed like Gambo was saying the guy with a grudge is making good on it. If that’s not the case, okay.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
There is no way that is NOT going to happen. Gambo covered this after talking to people in the league. He said there is ZERO doubt Sarver still runs things unofficially. Basically it's the "honor" system outside of Sarver showing up to anything publicly. There is no way to actually enforce him to stop running the team "unofficially".

Well, in that case, the "punishment" is even more of a joke than I initially thought.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was carrying water yesterday making the “sophomoric locker room talk” argument. When I read Covert’s post it seemed like Gambo was saying the guy with a grudge is making good on it.
I have been listening since this broke and I think he is just expressing all the different views on this. If anything he has been playing the skeptic anything comes of it. He definitely has not sounded like an apologist for any of the behavior to me.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
sorry... that is a pathetic minimization of what he did and who is he is. he's a racist, misogynist, sexist pig who created such a toxic culture that was so bad, it even trickled down to HR, the people who are supposed to PROTECT the workers, who ended up "losing records" and even breaking confidentiality agreements from employees.

IDGAF what other owners do or did. We KNOW what Sarver did which is on the record and admitted by him where he sexually harassed women, fired them from their positions because they were pregnant, pushed his **** into someone's face and REPEATEDLY used the N-word after being told not to MULTIPLE TIMES.

As for "rich people aren't stupid"... sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't... but what we know is filthy rich people ARE ARROGANT and believe the rules don't apply to them. If Sarver didn't, he wouldn't have continued to use the N-word or treated women like trash for twenty years.

If it were a "pathetic minimization of what he did", he would have been removed already. Either it is not a minimization, or it is very common in the NBA. I don't actually disagree with you about anything in particular- I sure as hell wouldn't want to work for him, but it's obviously not enough to get him booted. In my opinion, this means that this is relatively common in the NBA and they don't want Sarver exposing it, so they handed him this joke of a punishment. I dislike the guy as much as you do, but our feeling towards Sarver don't change any facts regarding this whole situation. If I were to be given a vote on whoever votes on what to do, I'd vote "Yes" on his removal while jumping up and down and performing the dance of joy. Sadly, I don't have a vote.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
The first of the minority owners (Jahm Najafi) of ownership group calls for the resignation of Robert Sarver.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Isn't that the guy that has a long history with Sarver. I swear I've put my hopes in that dude before only to find out he was a chronic malcontent that had zero support among the owners/ investors.

I mean, this is a good step in the right direction, but this one dude that has a certain reputation already isn't gonna be enough. Jones, Monty, Booker, Bridges, CP3, and a few others need to go to Sarver's house and have a talk with him. That's what it's gonna take. malcontent minority owner and virtue-signaling city officials aren't gonna cut it.

I just don't understand how he has so much support within the organization. They can't be all as bad as Sarver and simply protecting themselves, can they?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were a "pathetic minimization of what he did", he would have been removed already. Either it is not a minimization, or it is very common in the NBA. I don't actually disagree with you about anything in particular- I sure as hell wouldn't want to work for him, but it's obviously not enough to get him booted. In my opinion, this means that this is relatively common in the NBA and they don't want Sarver exposing it, so they handed him this joke of a punishment. I dislike the guy as much as you do, but our feeling towards Sarver don't change any facts regarding this whole situation. If I were to be given a vote on whoever votes on what to do, I'd vote "Yes" on his removal while jumping up and down and performing the dance of joy. Sadly, I don't have a vote.
We've already seen some of the "toxic workplace" problems elsewhere and it didn't lead to the owner being forced out. As a result, I think the league has its hands mostly tied. Sarver needs to be removed as soon as possible but Silver has set the stage for the community and the ownership group to provide the impetus for his exit instead of taking him on directly.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't care if the result is fair to Sarver or not... he is a terrible owner and an absolute embarrassment.

Put him on some scales and see if he weighs as much as a duck.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
We've already seen some of the "toxic workplace" problems elsewhere and it didn't lead to the owner being forced out. As a result, I think the league has its hands mostly tied. Sarver needs to be removed as soon as possible but Silver has set the stage for the community and the ownership group to provide the impetus for his exit instead of taking him on directly.
I agree. That's pretty much spot-on, in my opinion.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't that the guy that has a long history with Sarver. I swear I've put my hopes in that dude before only to find out he was a chronic malcontent that had zero support among the owners/ investors.

I mean, this is a good step in the right direction, but this one dude that has a certain reputation already isn't gonna be enough. Jones, Monty, Booker, Bridges, CP3, and a few others need to go to Sarver's house and have a talk with him. That's what it's gonna take. malcontent minority owner and virtue-signaling city officials aren't gonna cut it.

I just don't understand how he has so much support within the organization. They can't be all as bad as Sarver and simply protecting themselves, can they?
I'd like to see Devin go public, with both the good and the bad. Acknowledge his own personal feelings about the man including support for him if he feels it's justified but most importantly he needs to stand up for the employees that have been mistreated for years.

I suspect that Sarver has mastered the ability to wear a different hat for his peers than the one he shows to his subordinates.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry… EVERYONE has said the NBA got their wrong. The fact that the NBA minimized the racist, sexist and misogynist behavior does not make their minimization truth.

At a certain point you have to start to wonder about how/why the minority owner who’s actually a minority was branded the “malcontent” from the rest of the organization that perpetrated and enabled the continued perpetration of so much racist, sexist and misogynistic behavior.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I'm seeing is a growing tidal wave of support to remove Sarver as the Suns owner.

There is already justification presented by the NBA to do so. Now it's up to the minority owners to take action.

It's going to be very difficult for current Suns ownership to function in the face of this amount of adversity and it will only grow.