Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Man, the players, the majority of whom are Black, shouldn’t have to be in the position of fighting their Rich, White, Racist/mysoginistic boss. I won’t blame ANY of them for not wanting to make a stand.

At some point freaking WHITE PEOPLE HAVE TO HOLD THEIR OWN ACCOUNTABLE. It’s encumbent on US as fans to stop buying their product en masse. To shun the entity we believe have failed us. To fight FOR the players because they shouldn’t have to.
This. No tolerance for this kind of behavior.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't write a letter, but I cancelled my NBA league pass subscription today. I wrote (other reason, please specify) that as an NBA and Phoenix Suns fan for 30 years, I won't watch the NBA until he's been kicked out of the league, and it was disgraceful how they handled the situation with the symbolic fine and one year suspension, knowing that this has been going on for 20 years. So I voted with my money. That's one of the best ways of getting a point across to these big companies.

S A R V E R
E
L
L
I’m doing the same thing. My Game Pass is canceled for this season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I’m doing the same thing. My Game Pass is canceled for this season.
It's a shame that this is going to affect the players and their young fans, who have no idea what is going on with the owner, the most.

I have yet to decide whether to cancel my Game Pass, but I'm leaning not. My 6-year-old son loves Devin Booker and I can't imagine the conversation I would have to have with him if he asks why I cancelled and he can't watch him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a shame that this is going to affect the players and their young fans, who have no idea what is going on with the owner, the most.

I have yet to decide whether to cancel my Game Pass, but I'm leaning not. My 6-year-old son loves Devin Booker and I can't imagine the conversation I would have to have with him if he asks why I cancelled and he can't watch him.
I don’t really feel bad for the fans. I feel for the players, but I don’t think they’re going to be effected the most either. The people that are going to be effected the most from this are those who’s lives Sarver, his team and the HR department ruined at one point or another. The people who had the courage to step forward and go on the record about the sexist and racist harassment they endured/saw. Those will be the people effected the most in addition to anyone who suffers the same fate moving forward and knows there’s no remedy.

That said, I understand wanting to protect your son from the horrors of the world as long as possible so I don’t begrudge your decision in the least.

I don’t have those concerns, personally . And I think this will be a challenge not watching the Suns because they have become a part of my schedule and life again the last two years after completely falling off my map for about a decade previous. But I just can’t anymore. I can’t support that franchise until there is an exorcism of the rot deep within.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don’t really feel bad for the fans. I feel for the players, but I don’t think they’re going to be effected the most either. The people that are going to be effected the most from this are those who’s lives Sarver, his team and the HR department ruined at one point or another. The people who had the courage to step forward and go on the record about the sexist and racist harassment they endured/saw. Those will be the people effected the most in addition to anyone who suffers the same fate moving forward and knows there’s no remedy.

That said, I understand wanting to protect your son from the horrors of the world as long as possible so I don’t begrudge your decision in the least.

I don’t have those concerns, personally . And I think this will be a challenge not watching the Suns because they have become a part of my schedule and life again the last two years after completely falling off my map for about a decade previous. But I just can’t anymore. I can’t support that franchise until there is an exorcism of the rot deep within.
I want to make sure you understand, my post in no way diminishes the pain and suffering the victims have gone through. Of course it's the worst for them.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Hey I've got a 6 year old as well who's into the Suns, but he's just a sports fan, he'll watch anything. I think he likes soccer the best, probably Premier League, and they don't have aaannnyyy issues with owners.

If he asks why we won't be getting Suns games this year, I'll tell him that... hmmm, I have to think out something. I think boycotting for an obvious reason sets a good example. If it's better to set an example for a teenager than for a 6 year old, I won't argue with that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to make sure you understand, my post in no way diminishes the pain and suffering the victims have gone through. Of course it's the worst for them.
I appreciate that. Just hearing so much about what this means for the players and the fans (me included), that I just wanted to stay myself who I am most upset for.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I think it’s safe to say at this point he’s a racist also. If you have been told NUMEROUS times not to use the N-word since 2004 and in 2018, you are STILL complaining about why you can’t use the N-word, you’re a racist. If you tell a Black person “No, no, no. I hate diversity.” You’re a racist.

Is he a racist with a capital KKK? No. But he’s a racist.

When people show you who they are, believe them.
And saying you want a black coach because "N-words need an N-word" as he allegedly said is not just repeating the word back from a black man's conversation. This is him using the word as a racist. Also, his theory is obviously untrue as the current champions prove. Color has nothing to do with it. Good coaches are good coaches period no matter their skin color. Same with being a leader of men which we are lucky to have in Williams. The same can't be said of Sarver.

Superbone

Reaction score
I was 15 years old when the Suns came to town. From Johnny "Red" Kerr as first head coach, Dick Van Arsdale and Gail Goodrich picked up in the expansion draft and Gary Gregor their very first draft pick, I've seen it all. It would take way too long and make this post way too long to list all of the highs and lows through the years. Losing the coin toss for Lew Alcindor who became Kareem Abdul Jabbar, the 1976 finals and the triple overtime best basketball game I ever saw, the drug scandal, the death of Nick Vanos, KJ, Chambers, Majerle, Barkley, Nash, on and on. My favorite Sun of all time is Connie Hawkins, loved The Hawk.

All of that to say that a part of the 15 year old boy that still remains in me, that blead purple and orange is so crushed at this entire sordid Sarver era. It has been an ish show for a long, long time. He has been an embarrassment from the get go and now is the face of racism, misogyny and disgusting behavior in so many ways. My interest in the Suns and the NBA as a whole has waned the past decade or so, I just can't hardly watch it any more. And, I won't be watching it as long as Sarver is involved in the league in any manner, as I stated in a previous post.

I ask your indulgence for my selfish rant, I just had to express it somewhere. My mind goes back to the Madhouse on McDowell, on the night my boss took me to the game and it was Nick Vanos' last home game he ever played. It goes back seeing The Hawk soaring and scoring against the likes of Wilt Chamberlain. I see The Flying Dutchman begin and end as a Sun. I see Kevin Johnson driving to the hoop with reckless abandon. I see so many treasured memories of watching the Suns with my Dad and younger brother and then, later, my sons.

All of that and has become to a steaming pile because of a racist, misogynistic, boorish idiot. What a shame.
See, I was there for most of that too. My fandom and memories are too deep to allow an idiot like Sarver to ruin them. I no longer have my dad who I enjoyed the majority of this with throughout my life but I still have all the memories. I refuse to give Sarver any kind of power over them. I will continue to despise the man but love the team. I respect the hell out of everybody on down from James Jones, Monty Williams, and all of our players. These are all quality men that deserve my respect. Sarver can go to hell!

Superbone

Reaction score

These are the things you remember as a kid with your dad. Believe me as I have been on both sides. Your son will cherish the memories of watching the beauty of Booker's game with his dad just like mine do when we watched Steve Nash's glory together and it inspired them greatly.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree with ^^^^ but c'mon man, it's **affected** :billthecat:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless things change, there are some factors which may help Robert Sarver keep his job. A couple of things seem to stand out.

There is no public outcry from the players and there was internal support from within the organization including a former coach of the Mercury.

By Dana Scott Arizona Republic:

One difference between Sarver and Sterling is the former's case took nearly a year because of reviewing cases of he-said, she-said. That's unlike what was heard loud and clear in the latter case, which instantly made Silver want to push Sterling out after causing a public outcry led by players.

Another difference is that one prominent female in the Mercury organization, former coach Sandy Brondello, defended Sarver as "the best owner" when the allegations arose.

The Suns' best player Devin Booker, who has a close relationship with Sarver, told The Republic around that same time he never heard of an incident of Sarver using the N-word around former coach Earl Watson, as alleged in the ESPN report, or during his seven years in Phoenix. However, Booker assured that doesn't make him "insensitive to the subject."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adam Silver says he has more access to context surrounding the investigation because some parts of the report are confidential.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some additional comments by Adam Silver.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some additional comments by Adam Silver.

He BANNED Sterling for LIFE. He could have done the same to Sarver.

Everything I read only makes me more disgusted.

Reactions: TRW

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
See, I was there for most of that too. My fandom and memories are too deep to allow an idiot like Sarver to ruin them. I no longer have my dad who I enjoyed the majority of this with throughout my life but I still have all the memories. I refuse to give Sarver any kind of power over them. I will continue to despise the man but love the team. I respect the hell out of everybody on down from James Jones, Monty Williams, and all of our players. These are all quality men that deserve my respect. Sarver can go to hell!
I no longer have my dad either, been gone for almost 31 years. But, my fandom for the Suns has waned the last 15 years or so because they had been so horrid under Sarver. So, I missed most of the last couple of seasons also because they weren't part of my routine and I am not enamored with the NBA as a whole.

I can understand and appreciate your stance and love of the players, GM and coach. I just can't in good conscience follow or support the team that is owned by such a reprehensible person. Just can't.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He BANNED Sterling for LIFE. He could have done the same to Sarver.

Everything I read only makes me more disgusted.

No one really defended Donald Sterling and it appears there is support for Robert Sarver.

Also, I suspect context may play a bigger role than the written report might lead us to believe.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson