THE Newcastle United FC thread

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well, the injuries are mounting, and it was a close thing, but at least Newcastle didn't crash out of yet another cup! Of course, now we have to play Palace in the next round. Ugh.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I caught the last 20-25 minutes at the taco shop for lunch - they were definitely taking it to you. Good header with a better save and and really good work grinding out the last 2 minutes

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
BIG signing came in today--Alexander Isak, one of the top young strikers in Europe. A much needed signing, too, even before Callum Wilson's (inevitable) disappointing hamstring injury. I love Wilson's ability when healthy--he's got 2 in 3 games--but he never, ever stays healthy. Isaak is young and has tons of room to grow. I trust Howe to really develop him. And he might get in right away Sunday at Wolves.

Howe-way the lads!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I'm curious to see if Isak goes straight into the lineup. Also curious to see how this game goes. On paper, the pundits have this one going Newcastle's way. I know the team's turned a corner and are on the rise, but with Liverpool right after this one, I feel it's a must win. There's still a remnant of battered Mags' syndrome lurking in my mind. I'm a Cards fan, so I can't help it.

Now go out and put my fears to rest, lads!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
:soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::bang::bang::bang:

So Guimaraes is hurt, Isak isn't even on the bench, Longstaff, Willock, and Wood are all in the starting lineup, there are NO strikers on the bench, and our sole offensive subs are Fraser, Murphy, Ritchie, and Anderson? Not good. Not even a little bit good. That midfield sucks. Our maestro out, and it had better be just for one game. A plodding striker with no backup. Weak sauce offensive options on the bench. Just freaking great.

If the kid Elliot Anderson isn't the gorram first offensive sub, Howe is out of his mind. He's the only real possible talent on that bench.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Given everything, I'll take the draw. How shameful is it to be so bad as a striker that you're subbed out even though there aren't more strikers on the bench? Thanks for your hard work last season, Chris Wood, but you're not one for the future.

Man, was that ref wretched. Newcastle should've had a penalty go their way, Newcastle's Fabian Schar should have been sent off early in the 2nd, and VAR shouldn't have had to intervene to tell us the would-be Wolves winner was chalked off. At least the ref was shambolic going both ways!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Given everything, I'll take the draw. How shameful is it to be so bad as a striker that you're subbed out even though there aren't more strikers on the bench? Thanks for your hard work last season, Chris Wood, but you're not one for the future.

Man, was that ref wretched. Newcastle should've had a penalty go their way, Newcastle's Fabian Schar should have been sent off early in the 2nd, and VAR shouldn't have had to intervene to tell us the would-be Wolves winner was chalked off. At least the ref was shambolic going both ways!
Yeah I watched the sequence where Raul’s goal was disallowed. Newcastle were pushing hard for the equalizer, good result in the end. On the disallowed goal. That was a soft foul, but a foul nonetheless, glad to see var used correctly. That would not have been called a foul in the Chelsea/Spurs match from a couple weeks ago, if you know what I mean.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Robbed. With the injury situation Newcastle had no business being in that game, but the ref egged Liverfool on at the end and got his wish. Newcastle 1, Liverfool 1, Refs 1.

Isak looks the real deal, at least.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I have to consider this transfer window a...not a failure, per se, but a failure to do nearly enough. Even with the Isak signing, the Mags are far short of the requisite firepower on offense. They solidified the defense, which was needed, but ignored midfield completely and only signed Isak in the attack. Given how paper thin this squad is, and the lack of quality previously, and especially given recent injury problems, there is zero quality depth and holes in the starting lineup. Top 10 is probably the best to reasonably hope for. Howe is great, so maybe, MAYBE they can compete for 7th. I have my doubts. I'm hugely disappointed in this new management setup, which tipping my cap to their unwillingness to go crazy.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I have to consider this transfer window a...not a failure, per se, but a failure to do nearly enough. Even with the Isak signing, the Mags are far short of the requisite firepower on offense. They solidified the defense, which was needed, but ignored midfield completely and only signed Isak in the attack. Given how paper thin this squad is, and the lack of quality previously, and especially given recent injury problems, there is zero quality depth and holes in the starting lineup. Top 10 is probably the best to reasonably hope for. Howe is great, so maybe, MAYBE they can compete for 7th. I have my doubts. I'm hugely disappointed in this new management setup, which tipping my cap to their unwillingness to go crazy.
Well a top 10 is possible for Newcastle based on the early results. the fact that they managed to get a good player in the last week or so is a win, it's not easy to get players after the season starts unless you are careless with the checkbook. the real question that needs to be asked is when is sunderpuke going to make it up to the PL aren't they finally back in the championship?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that out of the top 6, Newcastle has good of a shot as any to get into the top 7 and Europe.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I think that out of the top 6, Newcastle has good of a shot as any to get into the top 7 and Europe.

I hope so. They'll probably be tussling with Brighton all season. But, you know, if they don't pick up wins in the next few games, things aren't going to look so good. Solid draws are only great if you follow them up with solid wins.

Well a top 10 is possible for Newcastle based on the early results. the fact that they managed to get a good player in the last week or so is a win, it's not easy to get players after the season starts unless you are careless with the checkbook. the real question that needs to be asked is when is sunderpuke going to make it up to the PL aren't they finally back in the championship?
Sunderpuke is doing okay in the Championship, I think, but just lost their coach. The hits keep coming for that side. Couldn't happen to a nicer group of fans :D

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Freaking refs really, REALLY screwed the Mags against Wolves. St. Maximin injured his hamstring on the recovery run to try to prevent the goal that VAR overturned because the idiot didn't call an effing foul. Gorram, but that ref really hosed the Mags!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope so. They'll probably be tussling with Brighton all season. But, you know, if they don't pick up wins in the next few games, things aren't going to look so good. Solid draws are only great if you follow them up with solid wins.

Sunderpuke is doing okay in the Championship, I think, but just lost their coach. The hits keep coming for that side. Couldn't happen to a nicer group of fans :D
Brighton and Newcastle have the best coaches outside of Pep/Klopp in the league.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I didn't see that play in question, but I've seen quite a few with outsides

I get wanting to let the play run on if it's close, err on the side of caution

I've seen a lot where it's not close and leads to desperate defending and hard goal challenges where players either pull up trying to sprint back and take the challenge, a ball is played in the air leading to collision, etc

It's always that feeling of the call wasn't close, blow the whistle and that following scramble doesn't happen

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I didn't see that play in question, but I've seen quite a few with outsides

I get wanting to let the play run on if it's close, err on the side of caution

I've seen a lot where it's not close and leads to desperate defending and hard goal challenges where players either pull up trying to sprint back and take the challenge, a ball is played in the air leading to collision, etc

It's always that feeling of the call wasn't close, blow the whistle and that following scramble doesn't happen
It was the latter. Not even close--it was a clear foul to start the play and the only reason the full play happened. Joke of a ref there.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Effing refs and effing VAR effing cheating Newcastle effing again. If they drop points from this game, I cannot take any more. Effing cheated Wednesday and effing cheated today. They effing better effing win this effing game!!!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Effing refs and effing VAR effing cheating Newcastle effing again. If they drop points from this game, I cannot take any more. Effing cheated Wednesday and effing cheated today. They effing better effing win this effing game!!!
have I said how much I hate var? They used it in the spurs/fulham game to review a clear onside goal and two offside goals, both offside questionable, one more than the other. I think they just want to take away goals at this point. Jesse Marsch was sent off today appealing for a VAR check to review a penalty that wasn't given. I thought it was a clear foul that should have been reviewed whether the foul was out of the box or in the box. bottom line refs always make mistakes, but the application of VAR is poor.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Yep, absolutely jobbed out of 3 points. 1 point out of 4 Newcastle should have had in two games. Oh, and I notice rampant Newcastle didn't get 98 minutes when Palace were constantly time wasting. Conspiracy?

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
have I said how much I hate var? They used it in the spurs/fulham game to review a clear onside goal and two offside goals, both offside questionable, one more than the other. I think they just want to take away goals at this point. Jesse Marsch was sent off today appealing for a VAR check to review a penalty that wasn't given. I thought it was a clear foul that should have been reviewed whether the foul was out of the box or in the box. bottom line refs always make mistakes, but the application of VAR is poor.
What is worse is the ref let it stand as a goal because the Mags player was pushed into the keeper, then VAR sent him to the screen to overturn it. Diabolical stuff.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think Newcastle would like to have mitro back? he is nuisance. reminds me of Clint Dempsey just more of a stronger version.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Yep, absolutely jobbed out of 3 points. 1 point out of 4 Newcastle should have had in two games. Oh, and I notice rampant Newcastle didn't get 98 minutes when Palace were constantly time wasting. Conspiracy?
It's Klopp being able to use his influence on the refs in my opinion. and Klopp should be working every angle...I love Klopp. He is a great manager. refs claim that they don't use favoritism, but clearly they do. Klopp does what he wants and rarely faces concequences.....he gets praised by the pundits. Jesse Marsch gets sent off and the commentators say he is going too far with ref complaining..clearly a bias in my opinion and I hate to be that guy that complains, but I don't know what else to say.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
refs also disallowed a tight offside call in the merseyside derby that took away a game winner from Everton. it was offside when you break out the compass.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson