Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They should have added trading a perfectly serviceable Kurt Thomas and two first round picks to save money although Steve Kerr took credit for that mistake.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
“He came to the gym and said that he is happy… Actually happy. So I asked him why are you so happy? He told me that it’s because he doesn’t have to pay me a $1 million bonus. And I was like, what kind of owner doesn’t want his own player to make the all-star team. After that I said to myself… I really don’t see myself being in this place any longer.” - Dragic

just awful from a psychological perspective
and he effectively de-railed his own team's forward momentum

and, surely, these stories must still effect team morale

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
just awful from a psychological perspective
and he effectively de-railed his own team's forward momentum

and, surely, these stories must still effect team morale
I just don't believe this is exactly how this went down. My guess is that awkwardly, Sarver was trying to make a joke and it completely backfired--especially with someone who did not grow up with the English language and American culture.

Sarver is a cringy person who has a cringy sense of humor that often backfires--goat in the GM's office, no shirt on the plane, etc. It's like he is still in a college fraternity house.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone assumed McDonough was why Dragic left. Dragic is stating it is because of Sarver.

No wonder he was never coming here when he got cut.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
They should have added trading a perfectly serviceable Kurt Thomas and two first round picks to save money although Steve Kerr took credit for that mistake.
We probably win the west that year with some bulk inside but they couldn’t handle paying KT for one more year. Pretty disgusting.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We probably win the west that year with some bulk inside but they couldn’t handle paying KT for one more year. Pretty disgusting.
Yup. Getting rid of KT left us so barren inside that it led to the Shaq trade. They finally got that third shot creator with Grant Hill they desperately needed that off-season, but gave away their only real beef needed to play the bigger teams.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes. It's a trade I would like to forget and it was simply to save money.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just don't believe this is exactly how this went down. My guess is that awkwardly, Sarver was trying to make a joke and it completely backfired--especially with someone who did not grow up with the English language and American culture.

Sarver is a cringy person who has a cringy sense of humor that often backfires--goat in the GM's office, no shirt on the plane, etc. It's like he is still in a college fraternity house.

Sarver was obviously making a joke and Dragic has been around enough American culture to know that.
but that doesn't matter anyway
and it doesn't even matter if Saver was actually happy about saving the money
i'd be just as offended as he was that this ***** thought that it would be funny to verbalize
it's arrogant
it's his reminder that, as Sarver said to someone else, "i own you"

and though Dragic did nothing for the Nets
if he wanted to come here
he might have been more reliable than Payne when we needed him to cover for Paul

so Sarver's awkward pr**kness might have derailed more than one Suns team
indeed, he may have derailed every Suns team he "owned"

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Smith seems to have a different attitude due to what looks like Suns trying to keep a bridge still connected.

Jalen Smith on his Pacers opportunity, support from Suns and a potential reunion with Deandre Ayton - https://bit.ly/3yxM7PK via @PHNX_Suns

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm wondering the same about Jalen Smith.

Sarver was obviously behind the decision to dump Smith's option, there was zero benefit for the team other than saving money.

That said, it didn't matter who decided to dump the option from Smith's point of view, once it happened there was ZERO chance he'd play here next season. Blows my mind that some around here thought we'd just sign him back. We gave up on him after ONE year, no one would come back to a team that ripped up their rookie deal after one year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sarver was obviously behind the decision to dump Smith's option, there was zero benefit for the team other than saving money.

That said, it didn't matter who decided to dump the option from Smith's point of view, once it happened there was ZERO chance he'd play here next season. Blows my mind that some around here thought we'd just sign him back. We gave up on him after ONE year, no one would come back to a team that ripped up their rookie deal after one year.

The chances for Smith returning to the Suns was slim and none. However, it was not the bitter breakup as some might believe as the Suns staff and players still keep in touch with him.

In summer league, Stix and James Jones hugged and talked for about 5 minutes.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
All Indiana said during their press conference was how shocked they were about how good Stix was and how hard he worked and his high character. Carlisle talked about how his parents didn't want Stix to skip steps.

Every body said the Pacers did the trade to dump assets and had no plans to keep Stix expiring contract. They did keep it and as they said had to fight to keep it including using their marketing dept (...maybe backend sponsorship) because they felt the hit they lottery again. Based on Stix time with the Suns everybody still think he was a bust, had bad work ethic and was bad a practice...so I take the Pacers repeated statement about shock is what they see at practice then the game was not what they expected. They probably said "shock" a hundred times.

I think Jones picked a prototype of himself based on his life. I think he believed in his pick. Too bad as he said at what cost would allowing a rookie to grow affect winning. They had no time for that and Stix said winning is hard so I think he understood the dilemma and appreciated learning that so early when there are players who never get to learn it. And the ending was happy for Stix if it wasn't I'm not sure he be so positive in his responses.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The KD trade saga has brought the NBA trade market to a standstill. Seems like it has done the same for the Sarver investigation. No way the can announce anything until after the KD saga is over. Seems like this is going to drag out a long time.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
The KD trade saga has brought the NBA trade market to a standstill. Seems like it has done the same for the Sarver investigation. No way the can announce anything until after the KD saga is over. Seems like this is going to drag out a long time.
I hadn’t noticed. ;)

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
the oven's been on too long.
the title of this thread could be changed from "Sarver is in big trouble" to "Sarver is Toast"