Cardinals sign left tackle D.J. Humphries to a three-year extension!

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I
How many elite starters are available on the street right now? Can I see your list?
I think you are missing the point.. I didn’t say cut him. I said if they were going to do this they should have done it at the beginning of the off-season. Made a winning move by structuring to free up more cap and get an Elite starter at another position.

At this point I would have rode out his contract and if he regained 2020 form pay him.. but history says w that being his only elite season that’s not going to happen.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
As much ca$h as Michael has shelled out this year he might be living on his airplane lol :)

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Good with this.

If he didn’t have so many false starts, I think he’d be in the upper tier of LOT’s.

But ugh, the false starts grate on me. They always seem to kill important drives.

Anyway, nice to have something positive happen with all the injury/contract/etc… news lately

Reactions: PJ1

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I

I think you are missing the point.. I didn’t say cut him. I said if they were going to do this they should have done it at the beginning of the off-season. Made a winning move by structuring to free up more cap and get an Elite starter at another position.

At this point I would have rode out his contract and if he regained 2020 form pay him.. but history says w that being his only elite season that’s not going to happen.
Yeah, and then his price would really go up and then you would be shocked how favorable the other NFL teams with far fewer quality tackles would ante up to attain his services... and then you would see Keim botching a draft pick to fill the hole (we all know he just excels at drafting the OL) or overpay for a far less tackle than DJ with what the Cards gave him now

Last edited:

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Another stunner of an offseason move. First no action in free agency despite obvious needs for it. Then way too long extensions for Keim and Kingsbury. Then making a fool of yourself with the contract structure for Murray. And now this. Humphries was easily their worst offensive lineman last season.

I am all for continuity, but the amount of unnecessary, questionable actions are embarrasing.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Another stunner of an offseason move. First no action in free agency despite obvious needs for it. Then way too long extensions for Keim and Kingsbury. Then making a fool of yourself with the contract structure for Murray. And now this. Humphries was easily their worst offensive lineman last season.

I am all for continuity, but the amount of unnecessary, questionable actions are embarrasing.
worst??

we watching the same Cardinals?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean, it didn't NEED to happen like this.

It probably needed to happen like this considering the position we are in, but we didn't need to be in this position.

Hump has been a low tier left tackle his entire career outside of a single good season in 2020. The best you can say about him is that he is consistently average and has been able to stay healthy the last few years. He is, at least, reliably just about reliable.

But paying him $22.26m average? No. That wasn't necessary.

Jordan Mailata signed a 4 year $16m contract last season at only 23 years old and I'd swap him for Hump in a heart beat. Kolton Miller, who has improved dramatically and is now clearly better than Hump signed for $18m AAV last year.

Donovan Smith, who is also better than Hump, signed for $15.5m AAV last year at 27 years old.

Jake Matthews signed $18.3m this offseason.

All these guys are better than or equal to Hump yet somehow we are paying him over $22m a year?

There were many better options that this one. Rolling with Josh Jones at LT next year is better than this one.

This is not a good deal for anyone but Hump and his family.

Here's several clips of DJ getting owned by Carlos Dunlap in week 18 who was cut and hasn't yet been able to find a team

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It's a good deal. He's not Walter Jones but he's a pretty good LT. In a year, or so, he'll be a mid pay grade LT. I do love the over reaction of some though. Josh Jones over Humphries at LT, :oops::oops::oops:. People still using meaningless OL stats by PFF??? Using a clip from Carlos Dunlap??? I'm sure I could find clips of him taking care of some pretty good DE's as well. Humphries is near the bottom of the list when it comes to problems on the Cardinals roster.

If he's arguably the worst tackle in the division, isn't he arguably the best too?

He's old??? He's 28!!!! Andrew Whitworth just retired at age 40.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Well, someone missed our revolving door right guard play last season.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Lets put this in perspective. You go to a car dealership in desperate need of a car and the only thing on the lot is a Chevy Spark, when you inquire about the price, it's priced out like a Mercedes. Every other dealership has zero cars. Now you need the car really really bad and you decide to pay the Mercedes price for a Spark because it's the only car available and you need a ride. This is pretty much the Humphries signing.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I guess hating on DJ is just a thing around here. Worst? First off, the judgement across the OL is skewed because being a left tackle he often goes up against the best pass rushers. Did you even take a good long look at our litany of backup centers and right guards? Heck, I also think DJ does not get enough credit for being one of the few outspoken leaders on the offense

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Overpaid but the Cardinals didn't have a choice
Next year keim must invest an early pick in the offensive line
First round a tackle, third a center, free agency best guard available
Hope they have a plan to extend Jalen Thompson

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
actually dumb move.. if you were going to do this you should have done it months ago. Back loaded the contract to free up some serious cap space and get a marquee free agent at a position of need.

It's a three-year extension and probably doesn't affect his 2022 Cap hit.

Let's have some names and figures you were prepared to recruit and overpay this offseason?

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah, and then his price would really go up and then you would be shocked how favorable the other NFL teams with far fewer quality tackles would ante up to attain his services... and then you would see Keim botching a draft pick to fill the hole (we all know he just excels at drafting the OL) or overpay for a far less tackle than DJ with what the Cards gave him now
Again focus on that first paragraph.. if this was going to be done should have been done early in FA to clear more cap for an elite starter. It really is an easy concept that is done by a vast majority of contending teams. Don’t understand why the naysayers want to keep ignoring the most important point I have pointed out no less than 5 times in this thread.

I’m done, obviously pointless.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
C
It's a three-year extension and probably doesn't affect his 2022 Cap hit.

Let's have some names and figures you were prepared to recruit and overpay this offseason?
Jeesh people just don’t get it - simple! So many teams have done it. Could have reduced this years salary and backloaded the 3 year deal. Very common practice. We could of had $20mm plus in cap in doing. “But you pay for that down the line”.. sure to an extent but teams do this all the time and w the rising cap and new tv money incoming in the near future its moot.. just like me debating this - it’s moot as either people just want to bicker for the sake of bickering or can’t wrap their head around this often practice concept for contenders.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Again focus on that first paragraph.. if this was going to be done should have been done early in FA to clear more cap for an elite starter. It really is an easy concept that is done by a vast majority of contending teams. Don’t understand why the naysayers want to keep ignoring the most important point I have pointed out no less than 5 times in this thread.

I’m done, obviously pointless.
Then the evidence should be that the Arizona Cardinals don't want to be a contending team this season. Isn't that obvious? If they had, they probably would have found a way to keep Christian Kirk and Chandler Jones. They would have added a better OL or DL in the offseason.

The writing has been on the wall basically since the collapse that the team was going to try and run it back and see if they could bottle the magic of the first 10 games for a full season. There hasn't been any real effort to take major steps to win a super bowl in their own building, or even to play in that Super Bowl.

Which isn't a big deal to me! My theory on this has long been that you build a team to win 10 games every year and maybe you win 12 in a couple of them. You have luck to be healthy going into January and ride the whirlwind into the Super Bowl. That's basically what happened when we played the Steelers.

D.J. Humphries is a captain, he's under 30, he's been a good solider for the team, he's probably the most natural leader on the offense right now (alongside James Conner).

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How often do we talk about deals that are over market value and say "we HAD to do it because XYZ?" Well, that XYZ is a crap front office that paints themselves into a corner time and time again. I'm sick and tired of it.
Im agree with u but if the gm isn't able to find quality starters through the draft a left tackle in the open market is almost impossible to find
If u have one and even he isn't great but serviceable u have to extend him and likely overpaying him

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How often do we talk about deals that are over market value and say "we HAD to do it because XYZ?" Well, that XYZ is a crap front office that paints themselves into a corner time and time again. I'm sick and tired of it.
Welllllll MB is awfully young sooooo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson