Suns Off-season Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jae Crowder liked tweets that had him going to the Heat and Dallas.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Crowder, Raja Bell, even Danny Ainge in his own way. A freaking pest who drives the opposition crazy and gets in the face of anyone who messes with his teammates.

But he wasn’t even that last year. I can deal with you going cold on offense if your gonna fight on defense but he wasn’t doing that. He was a complete non factor in both series on the defensive end.

It’s like he got comfortable and forgot what brought him to the dance.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you imagine the uproar if the Suns traded for Patrick Beverley.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
CP and Book for SURE get under the skin of opponents, but they aren't muscle. Totally different pests.
Right. Your pest has to walk that line where he might, and sometimes does, get tossed. You don’t want that being book or Paul.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns could still trade Cam Johnson if he is extended but this is reportedly how his salary works in a trade.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But he wasn’t even that last year. I can deal with you going cold on offense if your gonna fight on defense but he wasn’t doing that. He was a complete non factor in both series on the defensive end.

It’s like he got comfortable and forgot what brought him to the dance.

He was doing something right because the dude was all over our most effective lineups.

I don't want him playing 30+ minutes per game, I'd like to give Cam Johnson a healthy chunk of what Crowder was playing last year but I think he is important to our rotations. If he goes in a trade that is just "moving on" I think we will be worse for it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Especially after he breaks Paul's arm in practice.

Obviously we can't go this far. I documented Beverley's misdeeds in the 2021 playoffs via video clips.

The question is there a player that can give the Suns the toughness it needs without crossing the line.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was doing something right because the dude was all over our most effective lineups.

I don't want him playing 30+ minutes per game, I'd like to give Cam Johnson a healthy chunk of what Crowder was playing last year but I think he is important to our rotations. If he goes in a trade that is just "moving on" I think we will be worse for it.
Agreed. He's a weak rebounder and when his 3 isn't falling he's giving you nothing on offense but I disagree with those who call him inconsistent. His value lies in all the other things he does and he does those things regularly.

IMO he's always one of those guys whose on court value significantly exceeds his trade value. I can't think of a good reason to trade him. CamJ should be ready to play more minutes but we need to keep Jae whether it's as a starter or as a backup.

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
He was also fifth in the league in DRPM. Doesn’t mean he was one of the top five individual defenders in the league, just means he was that critical to our defense. He’s worth more to us than he would be to Brooklyn or anybody else we trade him to.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were reports the Suns were shopping Jae Crowder around draft day.

So these trade rumors are really not new.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That might be but he doesn’t pass the eye test. He’s by far our weakest link in the starting 5.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He passes my eye test. No he's not a star but he's a very important role player. If you can replace him with a real star at the PF spot, great but you still need someone to do the dirty work.

That’s my point! What dirty work?

He’s a god awful rebounder for a PF, oh I’m sorry who he lock up in the playoffs? Oh that’s right nobody. Guys were flying right by him in both series

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s my point! What dirty work?

He’s a god awful rebounder for a PF, oh I’m sorry who he lock up in the playoffs? Oh that’s right nobody. Guys were flying right by him in both series
Guys were flying by everybody in our playoffs, you're blaming him for not guardling all 5 guys at the same time? Something was wrong with that team, Jae was a part of whatever was wrong but just that, a part.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guys were flying by everybody in our playoffs, you're blaming him for not guardling all 5 guys at the same time? Something was wrong with that team, Jae was a part of whatever was wrong but just that, a part.

At the end of the Dallas series yes but he was awful against the Pels. He gave Ayton no kinda help at all down low on the boards.

Points/rebounds against NO
1/1
5/6
10/4
11/5
9/2
9/4

all while locking up who? Your PF getting 1 rebound? 2 rebounds? that’s effort and you could see him literally standing around watching the ball.

He used to be that dirty work guy. He ain’t that guy no more.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the end of the Dallas series yes but he was awful against the Pels. He gave Ayton no kinda help at all down low on the boards.

Points/rebounds against NO
1/1
5/6
10/4
11/5
9/2
9/4

all while locking up who? Your PF getting 1 rebound? 2 rebounds? that’s effort and you could see him literally standing around watching the ball.

He used to be that dirty work guy. He ain’t that guy no more.
Rebounding has never been his strength. He averaged one rebound less per 36 minutes last postseason than his career playoff average, I don't see that one rebound changing anything. And he isn't really a lockdown defender, he's a smart, solid, physical team defender. He wasn't at his best against Dallas but who was?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns essentially play four small forwards unless one is going to count Dario Saric as a power forward. They need to strengthen the power forward position but the larger concern for me is to add another player can create his own shot or is another distributor.

Depending upon Paul and Payne to carry the load at point guard for the whole season and the playoffs is a recipe for disaster. Suns need another point guard that can run the team if Payne has an inconsistent season. If I could only strengthen one position, this would be it.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Suns essentially play four small forwards unless one is going to count Dario Saric as a power forward. They need to strengthen the power forward position but the larger concern for me is to add another player can create his own shot or is another distributor.

Depending upon Paul and Payne to carry the load at point guard for the whole season and the playoffs is a recipe for disaster. Suns need another point guard that can run the team if Payne has an inconsistent season. If I could only strengthen one position, this would be it.

Point Book

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rebounding has never been his strength. He averaged one rebound less per 36 minutes last postseason than his career playoff average, I don't see that one rebound changing anything. And he isn't really a lockdown defender, he's a smart, solid, physical team defender. He wasn't at his best against Dallas but who was?

Those aren’t his Dallas stats those are his pelican stats.

How can you be a dirt worker if your not a good man defender or rebounder and your a PF?

Games with 4/4/1/2 rebounds is just pathetic effort. Come on now you can’t justify that

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those aren’t his Dallas stats those are his pelican stats.

How can you be a dirt worker if your not a good man defender or rebounder and your a PF?

Games with 4/4/1/2 rebounds is just pathetic effort. Come on now you can’t justify that
You keep going back to the same points while ignoring that the entire team had a bewildering postseason. I can't explain why a 64 win team looked so bad for the final 13 games but at no time did I think that Crowder was THE problem nor that he wasn't giving effort.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To me that is the #1 need unless Crowder is moved. Losing Crowder who is one of the toughest guys on the team and McGee both from the FC? All of the sudden, this becomes just a big of a need losing both Crowder and McGee because of defense. It becomes a big hole even with Saric. Saric couldn't keep anybody in front of him before the injury.

There were reports the Suns were shopping Jae Crowder around draft day.

So these trade rumors are really not new.

No but what is new is Jae Tweeting about a change. So, that seems to put some credibility towards the rumors.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave