NBA Free Agency and Trades 2022

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers are actually getting two players that can play while the Pacers are getting Westbrook who will not figure in their plans plus an extra $7 million in salary.

If Westbrook would accept a buyout for the salary difference it wouldn't be as bad for the Pacers.

I dislike any team helping the Lakers.
If Westbrook accepted that much of a buyout, would you be bothered by a former player helping the Lakers? I don't think the Pacers make that deal as it's been reported because it benefits the Lakers more than Indiana (IMO). Unless there's some kind of benefit I'm missing here (not a longshot by any means), the only way they'd do it is if Westbrook was giving away a lot of money.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Westbrook accepted that much of a buyout, would you be bothered by a former player helping the Lakers? I don't think the Pacers make that deal as it's been reported because it benefits the Lakers more than Indiana (IMO). Unless there's some kind of benefit I'm missing here (not a longshot by any means), the only way they'd do it is if Westbrook was giving away a lot of money.

Losing the second year of Hield's contract and two first round draft picks is the incentive for the Pacers to do it. However, taking on an extra $7 million in salary alone is worth another first round pick.

I tried to find another player the Lakers could add to the trade as an incentive but I didn't see anyone I like.

If it happens the NBA should look at it but we know how that goes.

What would they do? Take a second round pick from the Lakers.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Losing the second year of Hield's contract and two first round draft picks is the incentive for the Pacers to do it. However, taking on an extra $7 million in salary alone is worth another first round pick.

I tried to find another player the Lakers could add to the trade as an incentive but I didn't see anyone I like.

If it happens the NBA should look at it but we know how that goes.

What would they do? Take a second round pick from the Lakers.
I think it's lopsided in the Lakers favor but not really far enough out of line for the league to view it as collusion. GM's have friends throughout the industry and tend to work minor miracles when those friendships are involved but I can't see any of them jeopardizing their own organizations intentionally. Anyway, I guess a second round pick would at least improve the optics a bit.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's lopsided in the Lakers favor but not really far enough out of line for the league to view it as collusion. GM's have friends throughout the industry and tend to work minor miracles when those friendships are involved but I can't see any of them jeopardizing their own organizations intentionally. Anyway, I guess a second round pick would at least improve the optics a bit.

When I mentioned a second round pick(s) I meant it as the NBA applying a penalty not that it would be enough if Westbrook took significantly less in a buyout with the Pacers.

For the trade to equitable, the Lakers needs to include three first round picks but we know that is not going to happen.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I mentioned a second round pick(s) I meant it as the NBA applying a penalty not that it would be enough if Westbrook took significantly less in a buyout with the Pacers.

For the trade to equitable, the Lakers needs to include three first round picks but we know that is not going to happen.

The Lakers can't include 3 1st round picks. Picks can only be dealt within a 7 year window and the Lakers are right up against it. They can include their 2027 and 2029 picks but that's it.

Of course there's also the Stepian rule that keeps them from dealing consecutive picks also.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It doesn’t though.

Taking picks 5 years from now is a huge crap shoot. There will be much better deals at the deadline when contending teams would want to swing for guys like Hield or Turner

Hell I know I’d rather have Heild than Gordon if I’m the suns. I’d give them a 1 all day for him
It’s a crap shoot but it’s still great value. The Laker picks are more valuable down the road... 5-7 years after their 2010 title they were picking top-5 every year.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Juancho Hernangomez will be signing a 1 year deal with the Raptors.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There goes Eric Paschall to the Timberwolves. He would have been a solid addition for the Suns.

Minnesota keeps getting stronger upfront.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There goes Eric Paschall to the Timberwolves. He would have been a solid addition for the Suns.

Minnesota keeps getting stronger upfront.

More pain if true. The Timberwolves signed Eric Paschall to a two-way contract.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If you're Paschal would you rather go to Minnesota, a team that just gutted their bench, or to Phoenix... a team with basically zero open playing time?
Paschal…. A guy who is so good the team that signed him, signed him to a 2-way. Why are we even talking about him? He’s Ish Wainwright with a different name.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're Paschal would you rather go to Minnesota, a team that just gutted their bench, or to Phoenix... a team with basically zero open playing time?

It's not like Paschall made the Wolves 15 man roster and the Suns don't have need at power forward.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's not like Paschall made the Wolves 15 man roster and the Suns don't have need at power forward.
That's implying that the Wolves are SO good that even signed, Paschal is only good enough for their 2-way spot.

The guy is awful, which is why he signed a 2-way deal with a borderline playoff team and not a bigger contract on a contender.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a ranking of remaining free agents as of June 29th, although a few have signed.

It's slim pickings.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is a ranking of remaining free agents as of June 29th, although a few have signed.

It's slim pickings.

I've never been big on Whiteside but it is surprising that he has become such a drifter.

The stories about him driving coaches crazy must be true.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never been big on Whiteside but it is surprising that he has become such a drifter.

The stories about him driving coaches crazy must be true.

Whiteside can actually play so it's a puzzler. His best years were in Miami. I haven't really heard much about him.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Whiteside can actually play so it's a puzzler. His best years were in Miami. I haven't really heard much about him.
Wouldn't mind him as a back up C which would allow PHX to start Saric at PF and move Crowder to bench to provide more size in front court.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind him as a back up C which would allow PHX to start Saric at PF and move Crowder to bench to provide more size in front court.
I think Saric is much better suited at the 5 where his quickness is a slight advantage as opposed to the weakness it is when he's at the 4. Although maybe if he's playing the 4 with a solid backstop it could work.

As for Whiteside, despite having some elite level talents, he can't stick anywhere for a reason. Unless he's changed in the past couple of years he's a horrible team defender and one of the least team oriented players in the league.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's hard to see the Suns going that direction when there is a need for more depth at point guard and power forward.

The Suns have Ayton, Biyombo and Jock Landale at center. Saric is more of a small ball center than a power forward. He doesn't have a lot of athleticism to play the 4.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Saric is much better suited at the 5 where his quickness is a slight advantage as opposed to the weakness it is when he's at the 4. Although maybe if he's playing the 4 with a solid backstop it could work.

As for Whiteside, despite having some elite level talents, he can't stick anywhere for a reason. Unless he's changed in the past couple of years he's a horrible team defender and one of the least team oriented players in the league.

Yeah. I listen to the Lebatard show based in Miami and they hated him when he was with the heat. All kinds of talent but just a world class Knucklehead

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm not thrilled with the thought of Crowder OR Saric as our Power Forward.
I'm hoping Cam J comes back from the break about 4 inches taller with 40lbs of muscle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose