Booker signs Super Max Extension - 2022 Offseason

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i think it is fair enough to say this payday is banking on his upside potential
and yet, it is just as fair to speculate we've seen his best, with the best ever Suns team playing beside him

another problem with this is that with great pay, comes great responsibility and it puts a lot of pressure on his game and career

it's a gamble to pay a player like he's one of the best in the world at a point when he's considered, by most, no better than top 12

imo, to win a championship we need a player who is better than Booker on the court too.
if we get lucky we'll have that "unique opportunity" in a few days
but the supermax makes it unlikey we're going to be able to pay any player near as much or more for the next 6 years

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker signs extension.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker honored to call this HOME.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really wonder how much damage Ayton did to himself with that interview where he admits to playing video games all night and sleepwalking through real games

Teams should be falling over themselves to get a big man that's years from his peak

Ayton never said that at all.

He literally said he gets so wound up after big games sometimes he can’t sleep so he plays video games to deal with it. Would you rather him be in the club? Cause guess what these NBA players ain’t saints at all.

This has now turned into him admitting to sleep walking through games.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker is a much better shooter than Beal. He's better in every major catagory and 4% better in TS.

This last year Booker became a + defender. Beal is a very poor defender.

I would WAY rather have Booker.

I think if he learns to spot the double team faster and gets better with his decision making he could be a monster

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton never said that at all.

He literally said he gets so wound up after big games sometimes he can’t sleep so he plays video games to deal with it. Would you rather him be in the club? Cause guess what these NBA players ain’t saints at all.

This has now turned into him admitting to sleep walking through games.

He said he frequently stays up until 5 am playing video games even on game days.

This is from the article. One hour of sleep. Even on game days. That is a gigantic red flag.

Ayton typically wakes up around 6 a.m. after only getting about two hours of sleep. There's time for a quick round of gaming after eating breakfast, then he's off to practice. Then it's back home to finish talking trash and practicing moves on the virtual court. On game days, Ayton is focused, but that schedule still includes time for video games.

I absolutely don't want him in the club. I want him to reach his complete potential and that can't happen as a pro athlete on 1-3 hours of sleep

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He said he frequently stays up until 5 am playing video games even on game days.

This is from the article. One hour of sleep. Even on game days. That is a gigantic red flag.

Ayton typically wakes up around 6 a.m. after only getting about two hours of sleep. There's time for a quick round of gaming after eating breakfast, then he's off to practice. Then it's back home to finish talking trash and practicing moves on the virtual court. On game days, Ayton is focused, but that schedule still includes time for video games.

I absolutely don't want him in the club. I want him to reach his complete potential and that can't happen as a pro athlete on 1-3 hours of sleep
Look, I think it's alarming as well, however he has a very small baby and that will also contribute to late nights. Making it all about video games is short sighted and doesn't tell the whole story, IMO.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely missed he wakes up and starts playing again until practice time.

He also plays at the stadium per the article.

He's not focused on his team's upcoming game against the Los Angeles Lakers the next day, thinking ahead to a playoff run, or worrying about his contract negotiations with the Suns. Right now, at this very moment, the most pressing thing on his mind is which video game he'll play first.

Ayton, 23, is a serious gamer. Gaming has always been there for him in any form he needs: a best friend, a therapist, his No. 1 fan. Most of all, gaming provides a virtual community that has helped Ayton navigate the challenges he battles in the physical realm.

"I don't think I could live without the game and that's real talk," Ayton says.

In the middle of the Annexus Social Club, a lounge hidden in plain sight for VIP ticket holders to cheer for their favorite team, Ayton stands with his controller in hand, scanning the list of games preloaded to his PlayStation 5: World War Z: Aftermath; Fortnite; Call of Duty: Warzone Season 2; Grand Theft Auto V. The lounge has been transformed into Ayton's personal game room, complete with his new ASUS gaming PC and favorite PS5 connected to a screen that spans 34 feet across and 20 feet high. A childlike gleam fills Ayton's eyes and a subtle smirk crosses his lips. Ayton cues his go-to game: NBA 2K22.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look, I think it's alarming as well, however he has a very small baby and that will also contribute to late nights. Making it all about video games is short sighted and doesn't tell the whole story, IMO.

Did you read the article? It's his words. This isn't a chop article.

Clearly his value is depressed. What else would it be?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Did you read the article? It's his words. This isn't a chop article.

Clearly his value is depressed. What else would it be?
Chris, you know better than most, so why are you discounting it? Because it wasn't mentioned in an article? Really?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is all better off in the Ayton thread. Sorry to hijack it

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Bookers signs a 6 year extension with NIKE.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
well, if a super-sneaker company and a super-video-game company and and a super-model are investing so much in Booker's boyish good-looks i feel so much better about super-max paying him like he's a top 3 player in the world. You'd think he just won a championship or something instead of (as some have put it) having "choked" away a second title run with the best team in the league.

does NBA2k23 have a hamstring simulation built-in to each regular season and playoff?

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
And yet... not a superstar.
Dude, we just went through this...there is a different level, and Book ain't there yet. Unless you're a top 5 player, you aren't a superstar.

There is risk in giving Book these ungodly sums of money, but it's probably the right choice. He's been loyal, and should be rewarded.

The fact that other stars respect Book and want to play with him bodes well for the future, no matter what happens this offseason.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Video games are not an issue with Devin Booker.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, we just went through this...there is a different level, and Book ain't there yet. Unless you're a top 5 player, you aren't a superstar.

There is risk in giving Book these ungodly sums of money, but it's probably the right choice. He's been loyal, and should be rewarded.

The fact that other stars respect Book and want to play with him bodes well for the future, no matter what happens this offseason.
Part of that extension is paying Book for his potential to improve even more. Booker probably won't hit his ceiling for a couple more years. He might be a top 5 player by then. Glad we wrapped him up and guys want to play with him.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
yes, Booker's "been loyal and should be rewarded" -- with a max contract and incentives (all-star, all-team, defensive goals, etc..) and what is a better reward than telling him and his agent not to be greedy so we can put enough talent around him to win a championship? (wow -- consider the endorsements then!)

Booker should be loyal. the Suns have always given him everything he's asked for -- top salary, leadership (pre-maturely), and freedom to call his own shots.

it's time to reward him and his fans with a championship. I'm tired of hearing about individual rewards and accolades!

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe we should call him Devin Banker. He just signed an extension with Nike to be their key face. Nike is moving away from Kyrie and toward Book. I can't find the $ value of the Nike deal, anyone know? Also the NBA2k23 cover has to pay something too. What will he pulling down? $75 mil per year? Could it be that high? Just his contract with be $50 million per year.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe we should call him Devin Banker. He just signed an extension with Nike to be their key face. Nike is moving away from Kyrie and toward Book. I can't find the $ value of the Nike deal, anyone know? Also the NBA2k23 cover has to pay something too. What will he pulling down? $75 mil per year? Could it be that high? Just his contract with be $50 million per year.

I think the NBA2K deal goes to the player association via a license fee then it's farmed out to all players. I don't think the cover athletes get anything additional unless you are a retired player who opted out of the players association deal (like MJ once did). I could be wrong but I read somewhere that's how it works.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, if a super-sneaker company and a super-video-game company and and a super-model are investing so much in Booker's boyish good-looks i feel so much better about super-max paying him like he's a top 3 player in the world. You'd think he just won a championship or something instead of (as some have put it) having "choked" away a second title run with the best team in the league.

does NBA2k23 have a hamstring simulation built-in to each regular season and playoff?
Except that's not what's happening. I highly doubt he'll ever be in or near the top 3 for NBA player salaries. He's in a unique position to extend 4 more years while still having two years on his current deal. That means his huge deal won't kick in for 2 more years and by then he probably won't even be in the top 10 for salaries.

And it really isn't about rewarding him, it's about keeping him. The Super Max has really screwed up the way good players get compensated but it's pretty standard now, if you qualify for it you're almost definitely getting the Super Max deal. And he qualified for it. So we're stuck, and maybe we're screwed but we'd be screwed even worse if we lost him because we failed to give him what is now considered to be market value for him.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose