Suns Off-season Thread

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not very familiar. Please describe him.
He's been on the Wizards for 4 years, is about to turn 25 years old, and he has torched the Suns every time we played them.

Statistically is about an average center, but if we can get an average center for our 6.5 million exception that would be great.

Just saying looking at the remaining free agent centers he looks like the best by far.

Reaction score
He's been on the Wizards for 4 years, is about to turn 25 years old, and he has torched the Suns every time we played them.

Statistically is about an average center, but if we can get an average center for our 6.5 million exception that would be great.

Just saying looking at the remaining free agent centers he looks like the best by far.
That's great, but then you'd sure think the Wizards would want to keep him. Unless, I guess, he publicly wants to leave the Wizards. That would be understandable, because they haven't won a championship in over 35 years, and play in a city that I wouldn't want to live in.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's great, but then you'd sure think the Wizards would want to keep him. Unless, I guess, he publicly wants to leave the Wizards. That would be understandable, because they haven't won a championship in over 35 years, and play in a city that I wouldn't want to live in.
He does. Article I am reading says Lakers and Toronto are trying to sign him.

He is more of an offensive than defensive center, which is not exactly what we need, but at this point beggars can't be choosers.

Reaction score
He does. Article I am reading says Lakers and Toronto are trying to sign him.

He is more of an offensive than defensive center, which is not exactly what we need, but at this point beggars can't be choosers.
Well, hearing that some prospective player isn't a great defender doesn't necessarily scare me away from him, these days. That is because unlike Steve Nash's Suns or Charles Barkley's, this Suns team plays such good defense that I figure it can afford to risk having one or two players who aren't great defenders. There is obviously a culture demanding effort defensively, and it would presumably assimilate this player and make him at least give what he can give.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last I heard on Thomas Bryant was this. I like him a lot.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The last I heard on Thomas Bryant was this. I like him a lot.

I discredit this tweet just because it calls the Lakers a contending team. In what universe?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, hearing that some prospective player isn't a great defender doesn't necessarily scare me away from him, these days. That is because unlike Steve Nash's Suns or Charles Barkley's, this Suns team plays such good defense that I figure it can afford to risk having one or two players who aren't great defenders. There is obviously a culture demanding effort defensively, and it would presumably assimilate this player and make him at least give what he can give.
After the trade this team is not going to be very good defensively.

Ayton was the heart and soul of our defense. Cam Johnson was very good as well. CP3 is not really very good defensively anymore.

It really would be great to get a defensive center, but after the durant trade I don't see how - literally all we will have left is Dario and 2nd round picks.

Reaction score
CP3 is not really very good defensively anymore.
That invites extended discussion. Not necessarily because I disbelieve it so much as that it's paradigm-shifting. Generally, everyone says Chris Paul is a great defender. So who's more right, you or the whole world (of NBA observers)?

Also, it suggests that the Suns might want to take the risk of giving Ayton his damn money. You just opined that without Ayton, the entire defense will be ruined.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Lee move is good. If we sit and wait to make moves after KD deal is done, all these guys we need to fill out a roster will be gone. Good on Suns for multi tasking!

I heard the deal is taking time, not because we can't figure out numbers or player values, etc, but because players are people and they are trying to make everyone involved in the move feel good about it. That could mean a LOT of people to massage egos.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't ask you to stop reading tweets in the first place; I can't even ask you to laugh off self-evidently stupid tweets, because that's obviously what you're doing. I just wish other people would. Someone who thought the Lakers were a contender shouldn't have been talking in the first place.

There is a reason that I personally stay off Twitter. I don't have an account, never did.

I try to avoid Twitter until I want to verify a tweet I see shared elsewhere is legit because it's too easy to make fake tweets nowadays and share them as legit.

Example...

You must be registered for see images attach

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I discredit this tweet just because it calls the Lakers a contending team. In what universe?

Point taken. This was the last I heard on Thomas Bryant although I haven't done follow-up research. He would fill a couple of holes at power forward and center.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Twitter is awesome and the information is usually very accurate so long as one is following established and reputable sources.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
YES! Bismack Biyombo will return to the Suns.

That's great. He isn't who I want starting but he's definitely a top tier backup. He was a regular starter in Charlotte before coming here and spoiling us as our 3rd string Center.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That invites extended discussion. Not necessarily because I disbelieve it so much as that it's paradigm-shifting. Generally, everyone says Chris Paul is a great defender. So who's more right, you or the whole world (of NBA observers)?

Also, it suggests that the Suns might want to take the risk of giving Ayton his damn money. You just opined that without Ayton, the entire defense will be ruined.
It's not that he doesn't give effort, it's that he is losing speed and quickness with age. Off ball he is still quite a good defender.

I'm just saying if you are asking him to guard a quick penetrator it ain't working. If you notice we were continually hiding him on the weakest offensive player in the playoffs.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
YES! Bismack Biyombo will return to the Suns.

Good, I was wondering what was taking so long. But he needs to be our backup, not the starter.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

When you're looking back at his long career, yes, Chris Paul is an excellent defender. When you're looking at him as a 37 year old, no he is no longer a great defender. He isn't horrible and still has his moments but he's not much of a factor defensively these days.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
When you're looking back at his long career, yes, Chris Paul is an excellent defender. When you're looking at him as a 37 year old, no he is no longer a great defender. He isn't horrible and still has his moments but he's not much of a factor defensively these days.
All things being equal yes. But I'm not going to complain too much if he's the center in a Durant, Mikal, Book and CP3 lineup.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way the Suns are filling in the vacancies on the tail end of their roster (not used or meant in a negative way), makes me think they have they have already addressed needs on the front end of their roster.

Maybe we hear some big news in the coming days.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Twitter is awesome and the information is usually very accurate so long as one is following established and reputable sources.
There is the rub. Some people have a very loose sense of “established and reputable” but to each his own.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is the rub. Some people have a very loose sense of “established and reputable” but to each his own.

Yes, there is a lot of reliable information and misinformation in social media but it's more about who you follow than the medium itself.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, there is a lot of reliable information and misinformation in social media but it's more about who you follow than the medium itself.
Oh I agree with that part. I think Twitter is just another medium or channel. I don’t prioritize one over the other. It’s the judgment of who you follow that is the rub.