The Ayton Plan

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns trade with the Pacers and Haliburton is not part of the trade, I'd want Turner and #6 with the understanding Myles will re-sign with the Suns.

The Suns might have to trade a player to get under the luxury tax before free agency begins to get there.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One of the things I find no one talks about, is if we do trade Ayton, perhaps our offense changes from high pick and roll, to another style. Basically because we have Ayton, and need to involve him in the offense, and Ayton couldn't initiate his own offense, we utilized the high pick and roll. It would potentially open the middle of the floor for more cuts and dives to the basket if we did not have to high pick and roll. Guys could drive more to the open key. Maybe addition by subtraction? Especially if we got a big who wanted to shoot threes more, than needing mid range shots and dunks?

We don’t have the playmakers or shooters to play that style.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
There's lists of best free agents this year, and DA is 5th or 6th on these lists. If the Suns had free cap space and we were looking to add a guy, he would be on our list. Arguably 3 out of those first 4 guys are staying put and not available anyway.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We don’t have the playmakers or shooters to play that style.
We are looking to add a guy. It's hard to know for sure. There's times point Book looks good when Ayton is on the bench. The flip side is we don't have a big in. Might be different if we had a big that shoots the three.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To me, it just makes no sense to sell Ayton on the cheap as we'd be forced to do in order to move him now. So, if we move him, I believe it will be for another reason. Maybe something like reducing salaries before selling the team to a new ownership group? And if that's the case, I don't think Sarver will care one bit where he sends him, it will be for the best financial deal for the organization.

I’ve heard this to.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's lists of best free agents this year, and DA is 5th or 6th on these lists. If the Suns had free cap space and we were looking to add a guy, he would be on our list. Arguably 3 out of those first 4 guys are staying put and not available anyway.

He’s pretty much behind Beal, Kyrie and Lavine.

I’d kill to have Kyrie on this team

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

He’s pretty much behind Beal, Kyrie and Lavine.

I’d kill to have Kyrie on this team
We would not need CP3 if we had Kyrie. Don't know how we would pull that off, but I agree. I could see Lavine fitting in with Booker and CP3. That would probably be our best move for our current team.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do people here really believe that not extending Jaden Smith was Sarver's fault/mistake and not a bad evaluation of talent by James Jones/Monty Williams?

Again I don't know the CBA the way I did at one point, so please straighten me out if I misunderstanding something. I don't understand what the advantage is in maxing out DA last summer rather than doing it this summer or matching an offer if they did not want his fifth year on the deal. Supposedly, and I think it's widely excepted, that he and his agent were looking for the full max for all five years. I would almost considerate you're responsible from an ownership standpoint, especially in this case with DA.

For all the issues with Sarver I actually think the not wanting to spend money on the players has been way over blown. That said I would like to move on just to be done with it and maybe we luck out with a multi billionaire owner who spends a lot of money on the team and and in all the right places

Now tell me all the reasons I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Joe

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We would not need CP3 if we had Kyrie. Don't know how we would pull that off, but I agree. I could see Lavine fitting in with Booker and CP3. That would probably be our best move for our current team.
Am I the only one here who would want no part of Zach Lavine? I could be wrong but isn't he about to get paid big? If that's the case I would rather lose DA for nothing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one here who would want no part of Zach Lavine? I could be wrong but isn't he about to get paid big? If that's the case I would rather lose DA for nothing.
He's come a long way from the erratic player he was in Minnesota but yeah, he isn't the kind of player I'd want to build my team around nor would I want to pay him the 40M for 4 that he's probably expecting to get (from outside bidders, Chicago can give him the extra year).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A Booker and Lavine backcourt would be dynamic. The Suns could even play him at small forward. He has averaged about 4.5 assists the last four seasons. And most importantly, the Suns would add another shot creator which they need.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The source is a friend of Ayton’s tattoo artist, so take it with a grain of salt.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The source is a friend of Ayton’s tattoo artist, so take it with a grain of salt.
I take all the other rumors/reports with a grain of salt, this one is worth at least two grains AFAIC. It's the kind of thing that could convince me we actually are trading DA (pacifying Booker). It would still be the wrong move but at least it makes more sense than all the other crap I've heard.

But honestly, I'm not sure what we'd end up regretting more. Losing Ayton for a pittance or paying Booker the Super Max; doing both is going to be a problem for this franchise for a long, long time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take all the other rumors/reports with a grain of salt, this one is worth at least two grains AFAIC. It's the kind of thing that could convince me we actually are trading DA (pacifying Booker). It would still be the wrong move but at least it makes more sense than all the other crap I've heard.

But honestly, I'm not sure what we'd end up regretting more. Losing Ayton for a pittance or paying Booker the Super Max; doing both is going to be a problem for this franchise for a long, long time.
To quote Gung Ho:

We between a rock and a hard-on.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I do. But if it’s true the ego on these guys just make them all turds apparently. Either book was an idiot to alienate his best young teammate or Ayton was too fragile to take criticism. Likely a combination of the two.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Book and DA were never that close to begin with.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Book and DA were never that close to begin with.
No they weren't and it's been clear that Booker has been hard on him at times. But Shaq and Kobe clashed pretty regularly for several years before their break up, all we can do is hope they can patch it up for a few more years.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A Booker and Lavine backcourt would be dynamic. The Suns could even play him at small forward. He has averaged about 4.5 assists the last four seasons. And most importantly, the Suns would add another shot creator which they need.

I think Lavine is one of the most overrated players in the league. Extremely selfish on offense, a defensive doormat, injury prone. I think Booker would hate playing with him.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
No they weren't and it's been clear that Booker has been hard on him at times. But Shaq and Kobe clashed pretty regularly for several years before their break up, all we can do is hope they can patch it up for a few more years.
And Shaq, as likely true with Ayton, needs the right coach to reach his ceiling.

It’s pretty incredible Phil held it all together thru MJ, Krause, Pip drama, Rodman, Shaq/Kobe, later diva Kobe and Artest/Bynum/Odom.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose