Arizona Cardinals offseason thread 2022

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah it's a bit of an odd take to say that.

The Cardinals are better at every almost every position compared to Kingsbury's first season.
It's a simple concept, to wish we had better drafting and talent evaluation so that we had more good players we wanted to keep on the roster. Are you purposefully trying to misunderstand? :shrug:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's a simple concept, to wish we had better drafting and talent evaluation so that we had more good players we wanted to keep on the roster. Are you purposefully trying to misunderstand? :shrug:
The Cardinals are pretty good overall man. They won 11 games last year. Very strong skill positions, OL is mediocre and the DL needs one more stud.

Stout

Reaction score
The Cardinals are pretty good overall man. They won 11 games last year. Very strong skill positions, OL is mediocre and the DL needs one more stud.
I think you're being purposefully obtuse, now. I made a simple comment on past roster construction, how sad it is we did such a poor job of it that Gardeck the Barbarian is one of the longest-tenured players still on the roster, and there aren't even many players we let go that were cause for regret. PAST roster construction.

That's my last shot. Pretty simple what I've been talking about. If you don't want to understand the point, or are just jacking around, then never mind.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think you're being purposefully obtuse, now. I made a simple comment on past roster construction, how sad it is we did such a poor job of it that Gardeck the Barbarian is one of the longest-tenured players still on the roster, and there aren't even many players we let go that were cause for regret. PAST roster construction.

That's my last shot. Pretty simple what I've been talking about. If you don't want to understand the point, or are just jacking around, then never mind.
I get what you’re saying. It’s not even a commentary or criticism of the current roster as some posters are interpreting it. You’re saying it’s a sad state of affairs that we were so bad acquiring talent in the past that a gardeck is the shining beacon of longevity.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I guess the way I'm thinking about is that the roster turnover has been largely positive over the past 3-4 years.

Most of the veterans from the Arians era weren't kept or were moving to past their prime.

Look at the Rams. They have one player pre-McVay on their roster. Bad teams need to cycle the roster.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So any word on ARZ looking for another CB? Obviously with the passing of Gladney who many felt would start this season, we are even thinner at the position.

Xavier Rhodes is still out there, I think he would be a good 1 year stop gap. Don't want Alford back.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
So any word on ARZ looking for another CB? Obviously with the passing of Gladney who many felt would start this season, we are even thinner at the position.

Xavier Rhodes is still out there, I think he would be a good 1 year stop gap. Don't want Alford back.
Xavier Rhodes would have set aside his cane to play another season. Dude is old.

Kevin King would be the best option. 27 years old and quite a bit of experience.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Xavier Rhodes would have set aside his cane to play another season. Dude is old.

Kevin King would be the best option. 27 years old and quite a bit of experience.
Rhodes still has something left in the tank. I wouldn't mind bringing in Rhodes and King and let them battle it out for a roster spot. There are certain posters that go ape **** over the mere mention of Kevin King.

At this point I would bring in these guys on 1 year deals and if they don't show anything then cut them:
Sheldon Richardson
Anthony Barr
Xavier Rhodes

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Rhodes still has something left in the tank. I wouldn't mind bringing in Rhodes and King and let them battle it out for a roster spot. There are certain posters that go ape **** over the mere mention of Kevin King.

At this point I would bring in these guys on 1 year deals and if they don't show anything then cut them:
Sheldon Richardson
Anthony Barr
Xavier Rhodes

Rhodes is trending downward. Old and gave up a 97 QB Rating.

Barr has slowed down considerably and where would he play on the defense?

Richardson I'd consider, but I'd be interested more in true NT than a DT/DE, which is where he would fit. He wouldn't be a substantial upgrade over what the Cardinals already have. He's an average player, and he would probably want more than the Cardinals would pay.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Richardson I'd consider, but I'd be interested more in true NT than a DT/DE, which is where he would fit. He wouldn't be a substantial upgrade over what the Cardinals already have. He's an average player, and he would probably want more than the Cardinals would pay.
Slim pickings...

Star Letulelei?
Linval Joseph?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I would use Barr as a pass rusher, he was one hell of one at UCLA but never got a chance to showcase that in MIN.

Right now the CB FA market is slim pickings which is why those left are still available. Unless Keim is eyeing a CB in a trade Rhodes is who I like who is still available.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I would use Barr as a pass rusher, he was one hell of one at UCLA but never got a chance to showcase that in MIN.

Right now the CB FA market is slim pickings which is why those left are still available. Unless Keim is eyeing a CB in a trade Rhodes is who I like who is still available.

Right. Barr has never shown anything as a pass rusher in the NFL. And at this point, he'd just take up a roster spot. Golden, Gardeck, Thomas, Sanders, and Kennard are all pretty much locks to make the roster. Doesn't make any sense to bring in a 30 year old who has never been proven at the NFL. He was a 4-3 backer. Literally just a name that doesn't fit.

And honestly, unless a CB is a ton better than Murphy, Wilson, and Hamilton, it doesn't really make any sense to bring them in. Hamilton and Murphy both played better than Rhodes and King last year. Sure Rhodes is better than Wilson, but Wilson needs to play. King is just a guy really.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Ain't that old
Not just names...330lb names with nfl experience
33 and 32.

Star Lotuleilei was awful last year. Awful. Completely washed up.

Linval Joseph was part of an awful defense last year and is a replacement level player. Literally both are just names at this point.

Stout

Reaction score
Right. Barr has never shown anything as a pass rusher in the NFL. And at this point, he'd just take up a roster spot. Golden, Gardeck, Thomas, Sanders, and Kennard are all pretty much locks to make the roster. Doesn't make any sense to bring in a 30 year old who has never been proven at the NFL. He was a 4-3 backer. Literally just a name that doesn't fit.

And honestly, unless a CB is a ton better than Murphy, Wilson, and Hamilton, it doesn't really make any sense to bring them in. Hamilton and Murphy both played better than Rhodes and King last year. Sure Rhodes is better than Wilson, but Wilson needs to play. King is just a guy really.
Hang on, are you hanging your hat on Hamilton to be #3?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hang on, are you hanging your hat on Hamilton to be #3?
Maybe, maybe not. I'll refrain from freaking out about the situation until camp is nearly complete, because the Cardinals have addressed the situation in camp in both years satisfactorily.

Stout

Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. I'll refrain from freaking out about the situation until camp is nearly complete, because the Cardinals have addressed the situation in camp in both years satisfactorily.
There is the possibility we find a decent #3 in TC, yes. Even with Gladney, I thought we needed another corner, however, so now we need two, one of them a #3--Hamilton's not that guy, at least not yet. That's a big order to fill with TC scraps and castoffs. I'd say we're going to need a trade, or hope the perfect guy gets cut. That's a lot of hoping.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reading comprehension problems? I wish we had done a good job at drafting and talent evaluation so we actually did have good players we wanted to keep.
We went with vets to keep the window open with BA as that was what he wanted. Then Mike B forced Wilks upon us. Different systems entirely meant different players. Same thing the following year with Kliff.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess the way I'm thinking about is that the roster turnover has been largely positive over the past 3-4 years.

Most of the veterans from the Arians era weren't kept or were moving to past their prime.

Look at the Rams. They have one player pre-McVay on their roster. Bad teams need to cycle the roster.

There are studies on this.

The average roster turnover for 1 year alone is 44%. So on average 56% of players on rosters were on the same roster the year before.

Over 2 years it's 65%.

I can't find stats for 3 or 4 years but if it's 65% after 2 and there's nearly 50% churn a year then got to be looking at 80% after 3 years and 90% after 4 years. Roughly. So on average an NFL team would have roughly 5-6 players on the roster that had been with them 4+ years.

Cards have 7.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'd be ok with bringing Barr in.

He's only just turned 30. Former top 10 pick.

I don't think he makes us worse. I'd look at him in camp and see if he can add to either OLB or LB depth.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson