Pelicans @ Suns Tuesday Playoff game thread 4-26-2022 - Game 5

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brandon Ingram has a couple of fingers taped but he says he will be fine.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also this on Brandon Ingram.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When we finish this series, we will be more than ready for the rest of the playoffs.
Round 2 this team should be FULL STRIDE and ready to go.
The Pelicans(damn that's a stupid name) are/were a bad matchup for us.
Our team is going through some **** at the wrong time. But things are looking up.
Booker is coming back SOON. Thats a big plus. And our bench finally found its stride.

We have 2 games to finish this team, I think we do it next game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So I got to the game a few minutes in, so my data is a bit off. But even with Ayton defending outside at some during various possessions he’s a good enough defender that it usually stymies the offense. Which gives him time to recover back into the paint on either Jonas or nance. The results:

Position in the paint or guarding opposing center when shot went up:

Ayton 53 possessions
Jonas 40 possessions

Position outside due to guarding on the perimeter when shot went up:

Ayton 3 possessions
Jonas 2 possessions

Standing outta bounds and watching while ball in play and shot went up:

Ayton 1 possession
Jonas 0 possessions

So Ayton was I’m less than optimal position to rebound/box out 3 times out of 61 opportunities. One more time than Jonas. Only a single game, so it could be a total anomaly. And it was really hard to watch the flow of the game centering on those two and where they were when shots went up, so I don’t think I’ll do that again. But it seems to fly in the face that he’s not as effective on the boards because he’s spending so much time away from the basket when shots go up.

Attachments

• 8FD06966-9550-4A86-97AD-85831D37F0DC.jpeg
    8FD06966-9550-4A86-97AD-85831D37F0DC.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 4

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As for 82 and Finito’s in-game trolling. I guess y’all are happy with the 14-9 rebounding differential between Jonas and Ayton. That’s five games with Jonas averaging 5 more rebounds per game than Ayton. FIVE. You know what the difference five rebounds per game is?!? It’s literally half of what Ayton averages per game. If we took away 5 rebounds per game from Ayton we would be killing him for averaging 5 rebounds per game. If we added 5 rebounds per game to his average he not only would be an all star, he’d like make an all nba team. So maybe it makes sense to recognize that Ayton getting owned on the boards by valencunius to the tune of 5 boards per game OVER FIVE GAMES, is maybe - just maybe - a weak point in Ayton’s game like it was during that span mid season when he admitted he needed to rebound better.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What a great team effort. Love the adjustments the coaches made, some lineups that obviously caught the Pelicans off guard. We played 10 guys and everyone chipped in at least a bit.

The key tonight vs the last 3 games, we brought the hustle, we fought for loose balls, we had the active hands, we attacked in transition. Do it again and finish these bums.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also, outside of Magic Johnson announcing games in the 90s, Reggie Miller is the most biased announcer I've experienced in years.

"THIS IS GOOD, THIS IS GOOD!" As the Pelicans go into the bonus, again.

Cam Johnson goes coast to coast, gets a massive, almost certainly game clinching, dunk, Harlan goes nuts, Reggie sits dead quiet for a good 20 seconds.

Never felt like this about Reggie before, maybe he just loves the underdog.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also, Ayton had 3 assists tonight, and each of them may rank among the slickest passes of his entire career. Dude was dishing out bounce passes to dudes who had barely started to cut to the rim. I don't doubt that tonight he decided to do a better job of finding cutting teammates.

He has all the skill to be the best big in the league... there is literally NOTHING he hasn't shown the ability to do at a high level for a big. Instead of focusing on the glass one night or scoring the next... just go clobber teams! Tie it together big fella!!!

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have a lot of respect for the Pelicans. They are a talented and well coached team.

If the Suns can win the series it better prepares them for the rest of the playoffs.

They are a particularly bad match-up for Phoenix (length) and Booker being out doesn't help.
Me too, and I can’t help but be excited for their fans. Your franchise player forces a trade, and your subsequent #1 pick is out of commission, but you’re looking more like a contender than you ever have with an alleged former underachiever and an undrafted rookie. Plus you have a coach on the rise rather than a re-tread (which I mean more about Van Gundy than Gentry, whom I still want to see succeed).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Me too, and I can’t help but be excited for their fans. Your franchise player forces a trade, and your subsequent #1 pick is out of commission, but you’re looking more like a contender than you ever have with an alleged former underachiever and an undrafted rookie. Plus you have a coach on the rise rather than a re-tread (which I mean more about Van Gundy than Gentry, whom I still want to see succeed).
Imagine if they traded Williamson for a haul?

I would. Dude is a coach killer already.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I know the sideline reporter talked about his finger but on that one play late he clearly grabbed his elbow as if in pain. So maybe it's both?
I don’t think so. They showed a close-up of his finger and it was bent in ways a finger shouldn’t be bending…
He appeared to be grabbing his elbow, but I think he really was just holding his hand at his elbow in response to his pinky finger just getting messed up at the moment.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for 82 and Finito’s in-game trolling. I guess y’all are happy with the 14-9 rebounding differential between Jonas and Ayton. That’s five games with Jonas averaging 5 more rebounds per game than Ayton. FIVE. You know what the difference five rebounds per game is?!? It’s literally half of what Ayton averages per game. If we took away 5 rebounds per game from Ayton we would be killing him for averaging 5 rebounds per game. If we added 5 rebounds per game to his average he not only would be an all star, he’d like make an all nba team. So maybe it makes sense to recognize that Ayton getting owned on the boards by valencunius to the tune of 5 boards per game OVER FIVE GAMES, is maybe - just maybe - a weak point in Ayton’s game like it was during that span mid season when he admitted he needed to rebound better.

I didn't see much of the game but I would argue that Ayton has more responsibility than Valanciunis? What I mean is that's literally all they ask of V, rebound on both ends. Ayton is a big scoring option especially with Booker out, he's blocking shots at a much higher level than he used to. So I think he is involved in more things. He still should be a better rebounder.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I’d ultimately consider it. If he returns in shape next season and they look like contenders a month in, they still have time to let it play out as long as he’s not demanding a trade. They have him for 13m next season and a qualifying offer of 17.5m in 2023-24.

But if things aren’t rosy they clearly have a foundation without him.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You felt like you were being trolled in game?

Bro give it a rest. Suns win everyone is happy and here you are with this. Not a good look

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So I got to the game a few minutes in, so my data is a bit off. But even with Ayton defending outside at some during various possessions he’s a good enough defender that it usually stymies the offense. Which gives him time to recover back into the paint on either Jonas or nance. The results:

Ayton 53 possessions
Jonas 40 possessions

Ayton 3 possessions
Jonas 2 possessions

Ayton 1 possession
Jonas 0 possessions

So Ayton was I’m less than optimal position to rebound/box out 3 times out of 61 opportunities. One more time than Jonas. Only a single game, so it could be a total anomaly. And it was really hard to watch the flow of the game centering on those two and where they were when shots went up, so I don’t think I’ll do that again. But it seems to fly in the face that he’s not as effective on the boards because he’s spending so much time away from the basket when shots go up.

Lmao.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Oh he’s gone even if he’s healthy which he never is you can’t count on him. I think outside of one season he’s missed huge chunk of games each year.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
LOL… no trolling. At least not from me.
I’m shocked to see you simply pointing to rebound totals of DA and Jonas, entirely disregarding the actual role each one plays.
I’m done trying to point out the obvious/not-so obvious to you.

If DA’s role was to simply out-rebound Jonas, my gut is he would find a way to do that. But of course, that’s not how he’s being used. Why? Because DA is good enough and athletic enough to defend away from the basket.

So… once again, DA played a very, very good game last night. Just as he’s done the entire series…carrying out the role he’s been tasked with.

Reaction score
I don't think it's a question of "better." I think it's an issue that, like the Clips and Bucks, the Pelicans match up better with longer, more physical players than Denver, Dallas, or the T-wolves.

Whether or not the Suns escape in the next two games, they HAVE to rebound as they did in Game 5 (and even then, there were times that three Suns stood there while a 'Can slipped in between them; they HAVE to get better offense out of Cam Johnson and another good performance out of Payne. (Personally, I would have left Payne in with five fouls. He was uber hot.) At some point, Crowder has to start making some shots.

We can with without Booker, but the two Cams, Crowder, and Holliday need to play well. And take the pressure off Paul in the first half. He was so tired last night that he missed all but a couple of shots in the second half.

The Suns need to remember that DEFENSE brought them here, and the playoffs are all about defense. That's why the "bigs" lineup worked in brief spots.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ayton 53 possessions
Jonas 40 possessions

Ayton 3 possessions
Jonas 2 possessions

Ayton 1 possession
Jonas 0 possessions

I watched him more last night, was Ayton near JV almost 100% of the time? Yes.

Did he try to get in front of JV for rebounds? No.

JV must be a strong dude, he uses one arm to push Ayton away from the side the rebounds is coming from. Ayton could get a few more if he just had some instinct on getting position.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’d ultimately consider it. If he returns in shape next season and they look like contenders a month in, they still have time to let it play out as long as he’s not demanding a trade. They have him for 13m next season and a qualifying offer of 17.5m in 2023-24.

But if things aren’t rosy they clearly have a foundation without him.
I wouldn't. Dude is damaged goods. Trade him before that is a certainty. It's more likely than not.

Imagine what a desperate for relevance Knicks team would give up for him? And those picks would likely be fairly good since you just know Williamson will get hurt.

Reaction score
So the Suns quit fooling around. Great, one just has no idea whether they will again.

They're not as bad as the Barkley Suns for slacking off, but bad enough.

Tell me the only contender who never took a night off was the Chicago Bulls, and I'll say there must have been someone more human who didn't. Maybe those Warriors championship teams.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Also, outside of Magic Johnson announcing games in the 90s, Reggie Miller is the most biased announcer I've experienced in years.

"THIS IS GOOD, THIS IS GOOD!" As the Pelicans go into the bonus, again.

Cam Johnson goes coast to coast, gets a massive, almost certainly game clinching, dunk, Harlan goes nuts, Reggie sits dead quiet for a good 20 seconds.

Never felt like this about Reggie before, maybe he just loves the underdog.
Huh Reggie has been a big fan of the suns in most games…didn’t really notice anything different last night.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard