Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty (HBO Max)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John C. Reilly is the fantastic in this. But so far not enough from letting multiple episodes back up on my DVR.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Finally splurged for HBO Max. This is a fun show. I'm digging the style.

Some storylines are more fun than others. Agree with cheese, John C. Reilly destroys every scene he's in. Magic's scenes drag a bit. Jerry West is fantastic. Pat Riley just showed up and he's interesting. It was a bit before my time, so I honestly don't know when he starts coaching.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
If you're a basketball fan and you're not watching this, you're missing out. I watch a bit each night and I can't wait to hit the rack tonight! I can't wait until 7:30 lol

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This isn't as good as I hoped. It's good but the previews made it seem a bit more fun than it's been. It drags on certain characters, particularly Jeannie's stuff. I guess they need to establish who everyone is before they can really sink in to things. It's taken longer to do that than I expected. The season is halfway over and they've only established Kareem this week. Prior to that only Magic, Jerry West, and Dr Buss were the only fleshed out characters.

It's a star studded cast so I would imagine they'll be allowed time to tell the whole story but I wish this first season moved quicker.

I love the look of the show. It looks old, which really matches for the basketball footage because it looks like the broadcasts from that time period. It would probably be jarring to see everything all polished like a regular HBO series that takes place in current time, like Succession.

Also found out last night the guy who plays Norm Nixon is Norm Nixon's son, DeVaughn Nixon.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
It's a star studded cast so I would imagine they'll be allowed time to tell the whole story but I wish this first season moved quicker.
I don't understand this comment. Outside of John C. Reilly I don't recognize any of these guys.

I want it to slow down! I don't want it to end.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't understand this comment. Outside of John C. Reilly I don't recognize any of these guys.

You don’t? I recognize them all

I think Pat Riley takes over in Magic’s 2nd or 3rd season. I thought he was the coach from day one then when I got older I found out he wasn’t the coach for the 1st championship

Jack McKinney invented “showtime” and the run and gun style.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dude… Sally Fields, Jason Segel, Adrian Brody, Jason Clarke, Michael Chiklis, one of the leads from Community who’s name I can’t remember and a who’s who of the best character actors for the last decades. Its a star studded affair.

And all of those people aren’t even playing major roles.

Only reason I keep watching is Reilly is amazing in it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love how HBO re-uses a lot of the same actors over and over. I was a bit taken by surprise to see Spencer Haywood played by Avon Barksdale.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude… Sally Fields, Jason Segel, Adrian Brody, Jason Clarke, Michael Chiklis, one of the leads from Community who’s name I can’t remember and a who’s who of the best character actors for the last decades. Its a star studded affair.

Don’t forget the little girl from Uncle Buck.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Well, I hadn't gotten to Jason Segel and Sally Fields yet lol.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
And I had no idea that was Adrian Brody. Wow. I knew he looked familiar, but I'm shocked.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He can get in line. Not the first person I've seen complain about how they've been presented.

I'm curious though how you feel about the series as a Lakers fan?
Haven't seen more than the trailer. Don't have HBO Max.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Heard on the radio today the show runner is going to get into serious hot water. Apparently (and I have no firsthand knowledge), he's not just playing fast and loose with the truth, but he's making things up whole cloth? Hard to get away with that when so many of the characters portrayed are still alive.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Heard on the radio today the show runner is going to get into serious hot water. Apparently (and I have no firsthand knowledge), he's not just playing fast and loose with the truth, but he's making things up whole cloth? Hard to get away with that when so many of the characters portrayed are still alive.

Wait, what? A TV show will make things up in order to make their story a more entertaining watch? Say it isn't so!

(sarcasm smiley not necessary :))

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw this and thought I'd comment on it, it's from a NY Post piece about Jerry West being angry.

West, who became Lakers GM in 1982, was the top executive for eight NBA championship teams — six with the Lakers and two with the Golden State Warriors — and was named NBA Executive of the Year twice. According to ESPN, his legal team believes West’s success as an executive has been glossed over by the series and he instead has been depicted as a “clueless bumpkin wearing a fishing hat to practice,” which they claim did not happen.

They're covering the first year of Showtime, before West was the GM and the Lakers had won anything in LA. Im not saying that allows them to completely fabricate things but the story has just started. How can someone claim their success has been glossed over when at this point of the story, there wasn't any success to be shown.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Wait, what? A TV show will make things up in order to make their story a more entertaining watch? Say it isn't so!

(sarcasm smiley not necessary :))
Except you're not allowed to basically slander a living person by completely making things up. I think they said West was just completely changed. That'll get you sued. Again, I've never seen it and I don't really know. Just relaying what I heard on the radio.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can't bring myself to watch a show about the Lakers. Have not seen anything outside the trailers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard