Laugh if you want…

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Any of you ever actually look at Patrick Mahomes contract?
The numbers are huge but the structure is pretty team friendly.

Sign kyler now, while we can still get him for 45-47mil a year. Make it long term, structure it with an easy out built in.

There are only two options...
Rookie quarterback...or...
Paying a guy $40+mil a season.
Any quarterback you get for less is usually not worth having.

Worst case scenario is he tanks,we have to cut him,and we are in cap purgatory a year or two...
That time in cap hell allows us to go 3-14 ...get a couple of top 3 picks, draft a QB...and go back to option 1

Quarterback on a rookie contract.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Honestly I’ve been praying for this team to draft a franchise QB for 30+ years. We may or may not have one in Kyler (I see the arguments for both sides) and the issue on whether the cards should extend him or not is frustrating.

The prevailing concensus is that most of kylers issues are maturity related.
It's common for guys that are twenty nuthin to have maturity issues. Historically speaking most guys get past them and grow.
The entire contract issue is just a gamble on whether or not we think kyler will mature.
Some guys don't.

It ain't my money. Mikey B is gonna pay SOMEbody, so just pay the dynamic kid with the great deep ball....and let's see what happens

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Harry, please chime in.
Oh my! I don’t think Murray sits. It’s a bluff. I‘m not sold Mayfield gets you to the playoffs. If I trade, I’d send Murray to Texas where he’d be a big draw. I‘d need their 3rd & 13 plus next year’s second. I’d also get Mayfield, likely for a 4th next year. Tough decision to trade Murray but his hassle factor has moved beyond inconvenient. He’s getting very close to being a distraction rather than an asset. I urged Bidwill to have a sit down with Murray. It’s time to take a stand. The Cards should be frank about the timing they see regarding his contract. If that doesn’t work for him, now‘s the time to move him. He may already have weakened his value, but Texas is desperate enough to deal.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Looking at the draft order there are 3 teams that would probably dig the thought of trading for Kyler.
The Falcons, Texans and maybe even the Jets or Giants.
No doubt we could get a boat load of picks in return.

Rather than watch Kyler sit out or get a 50m dollar deal at this point I would welcome a trade.

I would be happy to bring a guy like Mayfield here who played with a bad knee AND a dislocated shoulder. With the extra picks we could load up and surround him with a better O- line and weapons.

Mayfield in Kingsbury’s offense could flourish.

Please keep in mind when given the choice of Kyler holding out, Kyler walking away or paying Kyler 50 M at this point, I would trade him.
I am thinking that if the Cards broke off negotiations, it's because he wants an insane amount of money. If that is the case, I could see trading him and yes sign Mayfield. It's eventually going to get to the point that some NFL teams are going to have to put their foot down paying these guys more money than probably some third world countries have

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my! I don’t think Murray sits. It’s a bluff. I‘m not sold Mayfield gets you to the playoffs. If I trade, I’d send Murray to Texas where he’d be a big draw. I‘d need their 3rd & 13 plus next year’s second. I’d also get Mayfield, likely for a 4th next year. Tough decision to trade Murray but his hassle factor has moved beyond inconvenient. He’s getting very close to being a distraction rather than an asset. I urged Bidwill to have a sit down with Murray. It’s time to take a stand. The Cards should be frank about the timing they see regarding his contract. If that doesn’t work for him, now‘s the time to move him. He may already have weakened his value, but Texas is desperate enough to deal.
Totally agree. This thought was all based on the 3 other options I outlined.
I just don’t think the Cards should commit $200 for the next 4 years.
I don’t know what the ramifications would be for him if he decided to turn to baseball. Do you?
As mentioned I can understand why Murray doesn’t want to play for 5 mil but why is he any different than all the other rookie qb’s? Unfortunately I don’t see Murray meeting somewhere in the middle.
He has really worn on me.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, let’s bring in Baker Mayfield.

A guy that everyone & their mothers watched held back a great supporting cast on paper that Kyler & even other QBs can dream of having.
Or if Kyler walks we can pin our season on the great Colt McCoy. This is all about being left with no other choice.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I can really imagine KM holding out or riding the buses in minor league ball. And the only person in the whole wide world who'll have to 'justify' KM's next contract is Mikey B. and that's to his family and no one else.
Kyler would be in the minors for about a month.
So you’d be willing to sign Kyler today for 200m for the next 4 years?

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Trade for BAKER “I GOT MY COACHES FIRED AND CANT FIND ODELL” MAYFIELD??? Y’all have lost y’all collective minds

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yes, let’s bring in Baker Mayfield.

A guy that everyone & their mothers watched held back a great supporting cast on paper that Kyler & even other QBs can dream of having.

I’ll take Chubb/Hunt with our pass catchers tbh…

A Keimy type trade would by Kyler to Tennessee for Tannehill plus a 1st/3rd. It keeps us at sea level with a manageable priced QB and an extra first for Keim to geek out on.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ll take Chubb/Hunt with our pass catchers tbh…
Maybe, but I’m not even sure if I fully agree with this, tbh. Evident that Baker made ODell looked washed up. I think DPJ is capable of much more & will show it with Watson at the helm now.

Only thing we have over Cleveland is the safety group.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Trade for BAKER “I GOT MY COACHES FIRED AND CANT FIND ODELL” MAYFIELD??? Y’all have lost y’all collective minds
I'm not advocating for a Mayfield trade at all, but that dude was roughed up really bad, and at least seems to give a damn. It'll never happen here.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not advocating for a Mayfield trade at all, but that dude was roughed up really bad, and at least seems to give a damn. It'll never happen here.
If Kyler pulled the **** he pullled in Cleveland you and this board wouldn’t be saying “at least he gives a damn”. Cut the crap.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If Kyler pulled the **** he pullled in Cleveland you and this board wouldn’t be saying “at least he gives a damn”. Cut the crap.
What did Baker pull? He played all last tear with a torn labrum, dislocated his shoulder again against us, had a fracture, and on top of that, had a knee strain. He toughed through everything and only decided he wanted out of Cleveland when they decided to court another QB openly.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What did Baker pull? He played all last tear with a torn labrum, dislocated his shoulder again against us, had a fracture, and on top of that, had a knee strain. He toughed through everything and only decided he wanted out of Cleveland when they decided to court another QB openly.
Refusing to get surgery & becoming a liability. That’s not “toughness”, that’s being a jackass. Now, he’s reaping the consequences of his actions with no team going for him. Don’t commend that.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Refusing to get surgery & becoming a liability. That’s not “toughness”, that’s being a jackass. Now, he’s reaping the consequences of his actions with no team going for him. Don’t commend that.
But... he literally missed the last game of the season to get surgery. I can't find anything showing that he refused to get surgery despite the Browns asking him to. In fact, I have an article from Browns Nation encouraging the Browns to shut him down. https://www.brownsnation.com/3-reasons-why-browns-should-shut-down-mayfield-for-the-season/

This one doesn't seem like it's on Mayfield at all.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But... he literally missed the last game of the season to get surgery. I can't find anything showing that he refused to get surgery despite the Browns asking him to. In fact, I have an article from Browns Nation encouraging the Browns to shut him down. https://www.brownsnation.com/3-reasons-why-browns-should-shut-down-mayfield-for-the-season/

This one doesn't seem like it's on Mayfield at all.

Yeah Mayfield didn't refuse anything. The Brown's encouraged him to play thorugh it because they were in the hunt until late in the season and the only other option was Keenum.

It's obvious really. If the Brown's wanted him to get it repaired they would have sat him and put Keenum in.