CB Robert Alford expect him to be re-signed.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Is Gladney anything other than a Marco Wilson type who as a bonus, hasn't played football in a year? Should we expect more from him moving forward?

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You can keep asserting this all you like, but he was CB2 or CB3 most of last season and was good enough to help push Malcolm Butler into short-lived retirement.

I know you have a lot of faith in Gladney as a first-rounder who got snaps on a bad defense two years ago, but we'll probably see more from Alford than you expect.
He was better than Wilson, which isn't saying a whole lot, I guess.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
OK. Who? Who exactly is a better option for CB4 that would play for vet min or close to it?
With NFL rosters, you have to balance opportunity cost. As a #4 CB, what other player will come in a be more productive than Robert Alford?

I swear some people think of roster management like Madden!

And finally...Robert Alford doesn't stop the team from drafting a young guy who could knock him off the roster in TC. He's a really good #4 or #3 corner. This is more darkside just to be darkside rubbish.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With NFL rosters, you have to balance opportunity cost. As a #4 CB, what other player will come in a be more productive than Robert Alford?

I swear some people think of roster management like Madden!

And finally...Robert Alford doesn't stop the team from drafting a young guy who could knock him off the roster in TC. He's a really good #4 or #3 corner. This is more darkside just to be darkside rubbish.

Played well last year, 3 years with this defense, vet min. But we shouldn't sign him because he bad injury luck 2 years ago.

I'm sure Stephon Gilmore will sign for vet min to be CB4.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was better than Wilson, which isn't saying a whole lot, I guess.
I mean, Gladney was a 1st rounder while Marco was a 4th. I would hope he was better than Marco, lol.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Is Gladney anything other than a Marco Wilson type who as a bonus, hasn't played football in a year? Should we expect more from him moving forward?
Every reason to believe that Gladney can exceed Marco Wilson type performance last year. Gladney was a first round draft choice who was a first team starter in the 2020 pandemic year when there was no offseason. To me, he's like getting another 1st or 2nd round draft choice. Huge upside, but obviously no guarantees because he hasn't done it yet at the pro level. Plenty of reason to believe he might be good for us.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I was talking about Alford. [Being better than Wilson]

Yeah. I think the sneaky story from the end of last year is that Marco Wilson came completely unglued at the same time (roundabouts) Robert Alford went down. People were worried that teams were going to target Antonio Hamilton and instead they just turned over to Marco Wilson and he couldn't stop anyone.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So, if I'm reading the various opinions here, Alford was signed to be CB2 initially, didn't make it out of camp. Year 2 he was CB2 or CB3, didn't make it out of camp. Year 3 he was CB3 or CB4, played 14 games. Now, he's CB4 and TBD.

Did I get all of that right? Every year he works himself closer to out the door for good? Sometimes I get lost in the endless circular arguments made on ASFN.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah. I think the sneaky story from the end of last year is that Marco Wilson came completely unglued at the same time (roundabouts) Robert Alford went down. People were worried that teams were going to target Antonio Hamilton and instead they just turned over to Marco Wilson and he couldn't stop anyone.
Yep. I recall thinking how good Wilson was, but he massively crapped the bed starting around that time. That's the main reason CB is still a big hole. Had he been better, then get some nobody (who is not Alford) alongside Hamilton, hopefully, for your 4 and 5, and you're good to go. Unfortunately Wilson isn't as good as we hoped.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Too bad we had to trade the “Tom Brady of cornerbacks” to the Eagles for Ertz. Not saying he’s the answer but I was hoping to see what he could do.

I still don’t understand why we didn’t keep Breshaud Breeland around to at least kick the tires some more and see if he’s any good. Cheap vet with no real risk to try

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yep. I recall thinking how good Wilson was, but he massively crapped the bed starting around that time. That's the main reason CB is still a big hole. Had he been better, then get some nobody (who is not Alford) alongside Hamilton, hopefully, for your 4 and 5, and you're good to go. Unfortunately Wilson isn't as good as we hoped.

As Rameses said: So it shall be written after a rookie season. So it shall be done.

Reactions: PJ1

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
...and completely screwed the secondary. Why, WHY would we want to keep getting older, slower, and more injured on this roster? Ugh.
Because as you said attaining Green again at WR, that's a totally smart plausible move if, 'if' being a key word, the Cards did not intend to stop there and still fortify the position past those initial signings

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Too bad we had to trade the “Tom Brady of cornerbacks” to the Eagles for Ertz. Not saying he’s the answer but I was hoping to see what he could do.

I still don’t understand why we didn’t keep Breshaud Breeland around to at least kick the tires some more and see if he’s any good. Cheap vet with no real risk to try
We did not trade the Tom Brady of CBs to the Eagles... we let him get claimed by the Packers, geez man lol

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So, if I'm reading the various opinions here, Alford was signed to be CB2 initially, didn't make it out of camp. Year 2 he was CB2 or CB3, didn't make it out of camp. Year 3 he was CB3 or CB4, played 14 games. Now, he's CB4 and TBD.

Did I get all of that right? Every year he works himself closer to out the door for good? Sometimes I get lost in the endless circular arguments made on ASFN.
FWIW I think he was expected to be CB2 or CB3 last season. Got pushed into the latter category pretty early on.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The laugh react is because CB isn't a big hole. The Cardinals were fine at CB last year. Not great, but not bad either.

This was literally the same song and dance you did last year.

I'd add another body via the draft and bring back Hamilton and be happy with what the Cardinals have done at CB.

WR and Edge are 10x more glaring.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Good signing.

There isn't better talent available for anywhere near the price.

Give him his million bucks and run him into the ground.

Alford is a very good DB.... we just need to juice him for every drop he has left.

When he goes down ....there is always another old DB willing to play out the rest of the season.

Murphy, Wilson, Gladney, Baker, and Thompson is a starting defensive backfield I'm pretty comfortable with at this point.

A few older camp bodies this summer can compete for the depth positions with Alford

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Is it really endless circular logic when you are talking about a CB's age 31-34 seasons, a guy who was never really more then an average NFL starting CB to begin with, or just reality for that type of player at that age?

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Wilson was a rookie and I think he showed enough early on not to get impulsive about his final judgement... the fact he was able to do what he did being thrown into the fire so early, tells me we might have something

Last edited:

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wilson was a rookie and I think he showed enough early on not to get impulsive about his final judgement... the fact he was able to do what he did being thrown into the fire so early, tells me we might have something
Exactly. If we gave up on everyone who faltered down the stretch we have no team. Give the kid a chance.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Tay Gowan? Dude was a scrub...showed nothing.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Exactly. If we gave up on everyone who faltered down the stretch we have no team. Give the kid a chance.
If Hamilton is not on the roster, that's getting me up in arms because he's young enough and showed enough promise to be extremely useful as depth and actually freaking start for extended periods in my opinion. Why wait for guys to get hurt (they usually do regardless of who you have, especially for 17 games) when there is a guy like him you can sign now who knows the defense... you can never have enough CBs or linemen

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn