ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton's rebounding % by season -

2018-19 - 18.5
2019-20 - 19.6
2020-21 - 19.5
2021-22 - 17.7

When you look to see where the drop off really is, it's his offensive rebounding that's regressed. He's down to 2.4 a game, was 3.3 last season. His lowest prior to this season was his rookie season at 3.1 per game. His defensive rebounding has been consistent, each season. He's at 7.3 a game this year after 7.2 last year.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton's rebounding % by season -

2018-19 - 18.5
2019-20 - 19.6
2020-21 - 19.5
2021-22 - 17.7

When you look to see where the drop off really is, it's his offensive rebounding that's regressed. He's down to 2.4 a game, was 3.3 last season. His lowest prior to this season was his rookie season at 3.1 per game. His defensive rebounding has been consistent, each season. He's at 7.3 a game this year after 7.2 last year.
To put that into further context, second chance points have killed this team in our losses. Opposing points off of second chance points were ridiculous in a several of those games. So if Ayton is getting his defensive rebounds at a similar clip there are possibly other issues besides anything he is doing.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That floater, along with that little hook are definitely improved weapons.
For sure. He just needs to take them more when Book and CP3 are actually playing. Granted, he also has to touch the ball more, especially in the 2nd half when for some reason the Suns tend to go away from him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Very nice arc on that. He will continue to get friendly rolls from it
Yeah, he and Paul have softest shots on the rim I’ve ever seen. Both of them regularly have shots that hit the front edge of the front of the rim that inexplicably roll over into the basket. That’s a real talent.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
DA is efficient, I've never doubted he'd eventually be near the top of the league in that regard. What concerns me more is team efficiency on possessions where we've fed him within 12 feet of the basket. I don't know if they track anything like that but our problem with him was never his own shooting percentage, it's the turnovers and offensive resets (especially when late in the shot clock) as a result of feeding him when his hands aren't working.

I think he's an easy max player when he focuses on defense but I haven't seen that defensive focus from him since early in the season. I like the improved offense but it can't come at the expense of him anchoring our defense and rebounding at both ends.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
DA is efficient, I've never doubted he'd eventually be near the top of the league in that regard. What concerns me more is team efficiency on possessions where we've fed him within 12 feet of the basket. I don't know if they track anything like that but our problem with him was never his own shooting percentage, it's the turnovers and offensive resets (especially when late in the shot clock) as a result of feeding him when his hands aren't working.

I think he's an easy max player when he focuses on defense but I haven't seen that defensive focus from him since early in the season. I like the improved offense but it can't come at the expense of him anchoring our defense and rebounding at both ends.
All of this

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It could be as Ayton becomes more proficient with his outside shooting the Suns will not have to force feed him near the basket. This should create a more open area for passes around the basket if he consistently hits the outside shot. He seems more prone to fumble passes near the basket.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah, he and Paul have softest shots on the rim I’ve ever seen. Both of them regularly have shots that hit the front edge of the front of the rim that inexplicably roll over into the basket. That’s a real talent.
Imagine if DA shot his jumpers with more arc. When he misses, it’s usually flat and he doesn’t get that roll. Whereas, his floaters come from the moon lol

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup.

Ayton still frustrates with his floating some times, but he handled the contract stuff like a damn pro. Actually better because most pros would have made a stink all season.
True in the public sense. However, it helps his team knows with certainty he was always getting a max coming out of this situation.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose