The Expanse (SyFy)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, there’s a photo of him sitting next to Amos at the final bar scene. It almost looks like they used a still photo of him for the death scene and just CGI’d some blood in.

That would make sense considering how abrupt it appeared to be. Also agree with the above about the usage of Bobbi's character.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Anybody notice that this premiered couple days ago? Final season.

Still in set up mode, so not much to report. Effects are strong as always, acting not strong as always. There are a few good actors on the show but they just aren't on screen long enough because they are jumping all over the place to remind everyone where the characters are.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I watched it on Thursday night when it came out. It was a good, typical season opener for the show. Fit the template that they've been doing for them. I wish it had a little more meat though since they only have 6 episodes for this season. I'm hoping things don't get rushed/glossed over due to it like what happened to GoT at the end.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody notice that this premiered couple days ago? Final season.

Still in set up mode, so not much to report. Effects are strong as always, acting not strong as always. There are a few good actors on the show but they just aren't on screen long enough because they are jumping all over the place to remind everyone where the characters are.
How the heck did I miss the start of this?!? Thanks for the post.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Sad that there’s only one episode left. This season has been solid, not spectacular. Still one of the best sci fi shows going today.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Sad that there’s only one episode left. This season has been solid, not spectacular. Still one of the best sci fi shows going today.
Agreed. I do think they seriously mishandled this season, though. If you're only doing this many episodes in the final season, don't try to wedge in as much of the books as possible, as there's no way that can come to a complete, satisfying ending so quickly. Just focus on the existing arc and close it out well. So some of this season has dragged, wasting time on a story line that will move beyond hyperspeed to be completed in one episode. Ah well.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Welp.

Spectacular space battles and a bit anticlimactic. But I was most surprised by the amount of open ended plots that happened at the end. In a lot of ways it didn't feel like the end of the series, as they left it open for further episodes. Maybe this is to keep the door open for book continuation -- or even more interesting - a possible movie finale?

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Welp.

Spectacular space battles and a bit anticlimactic. But I was most surprised by the amount of open ended plots that happened at the end. In a lot of ways it didn't feel like the end of the series, as they left it open for further episodes. Maybe this is to keep the door open for book continuation -- or even more interesting - a possible movie finale?
There had been some talk of movie(s) to finish off the series. I really hope it happens since I'd love more of the show and they really have 3 more books that they could cover. So let's hope we do. The show was still going strong quality wise.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I noticed they changed the listing to say season finale now, instead of series finale after the final episode came out.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Welp.

Exactly. A big WTF from me as well. Without spoiling, I will say that the books went on well past where the story ended already.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
I agree with you guys. I thought it was quite the whimper of a series finale. Overall, this was probably the worst season out of the 6. However, it’s still an enjoyable show and they definitely left open some story lines. Hopefully there’s more to come.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I agree with you guys. I thought it was quite the whimper of a series finale. Overall, this was probably the worst season out of the 6. However, it’s still an enjoyable show and they definitely left open some story lines. Hopefully there’s more to come.
You thought it was the worst season? I'd give that to season 5 by a pretty good margin. There's plenty of issues with S6 but it corrected some of what bogged down S5 and overall was better.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
You thought it was the worst season? I'd give that to season 5 by a pretty good margin. There's plenty of issues with S6 but it corrected some of what bogged down S5 and overall was better.
Yeah, season 5 was head and shoulders above this season in my mind.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, season 5 was head and shoulders above this season in my mind.
To me S5 started off good for the first three episodes and then go bogged down in the Naomi and Drummer story lines. They both dragged on way too long. Amos on Earth took a little long too.

I think the whole Car Anvar situation caused issues with it too. I get that they had to fire Cas but I wish they didn't kill Alex but replaced the actor. I think it ended up having a lot of ripple effects since it forced a departure from the books that they weren't planning on.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
To me S5 started off good for the first three episodes and then go bogged down in the Naomi and Drummer story lines. They both dragged on way too long. Amos on Earth took a little long too.

I think the whole Car Anvar situation caused issues with it too. I get that they had to fire Cas but I wish they didn't kill Alex but replaced the actor. I think it ended up having a lot of ripple effects since it forced a departure from the books that they weren't planning on.
The actor playing Marco just bothered the hell out of me. His delivery was terrible.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last episode felt soooooooooooo rushed. Boom bang....sort fo resolved. I read that they put most of the budget into that last episode. They needed a longer season IMO. Plus, there is more to the story that appears won't be told.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
The last episode felt soooooooooooo rushed. Boom bang....sort fo resolved. I read that they put most of the budget into that last episode. They needed a longer season IMO. Plus, there is more to the story that appears won't be told.
They did it on purpose, angling for a movie or two. Which I find to be chump reasoning. Terrible decision.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Not necessarily, considering Jeff Bezos is a known huge fan of the books and the show.

It's quite possible that that ending is to set him up to want more.
Well, for one, it's a giant crap on the fans because it's a series finale without, you know, finalizing things. Then it could be a double crap on the fans if Bezos isn't tempted. Which, based on the low quality of the end, I wouldn't, if I were him.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Well, for one, it's a giant crap on the fans because it's a series finale without, you know, finalizing things. Then it could be a double crap on the fans if Bezos isn't tempted. Which, based on the low quality of the end, I wouldn't, if I were him.

I'm a fan. I'm a huge fan.

I don't particularly feel crapped on.

I know for a fact because of the books that the story of The Expanse is, pardon the pun, so much more expansive than even another 15 episodes of this show can cover.

It ended the major arc of the past two seasons (the Belter War) and it left it open-ended for the casual viewer to possibly want to explore the rest in the books. In the meantime, those of us paying attention (you know, the fans) know that showrunners are exploring as many avenues as they can to continue the story told in the show (since it has veered slightly from the books), including movies, animation and maybe even comics.

Maybe YOU feel crapped on, but you don't really approach most shows as a fan. You approach them as someone who has a taste and THEY have to conform to YOUR tastes or YOU aren't happy.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm a fan. I'm a huge fan.

I don't particularly crapped on.

I know for a fact because of the books that the story of The Expanse is, pardon the pun, so much more expansive than even another 15 episodes of this show can cover.

It ended the major arc of the past two seasons (the Belter War) and it left it open-ended for the casual viewer to possibly want to explore the rest in the books. In the meantime, those of us paying attention (you know, the fans) know that showrunners are exploring as many avenues as they can to continue the story told in the show (since it has veered slightly from the books), including movies, animation and maybe even comics.

Maybe YOU feel crapped on, but you don't really approach most shows as a fan. You approach them as someone who has a taste and THEY have to conform to YOUR tastes or YOU aren't happy.
This show was 5 seasons that was dominated by the protomolecule, which they pretty much dropped altogether in the last season. That is incomplete and IMO bad storytelling. And the war ended so abruptly, it felt forced.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose