2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe Gary Payton II wasn't ejected for taunting (stare down and scratching his head). This initiated the encounter. That was barely a head tap by Bitadze. It was like he was acknowledging the stuff Payton was dishing out with a stare of his own.

Keifer Sykes hit a couple of clutch shots in that game looking at the replay.
He 100% should have been ejected.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize the difference may be the touching but there were two actions on Payton's part (stare and head scratch) that iniated the incident. Actions can be worse than words if Bitadze said anything.

Payton wanted something to happen... he got it. The offender shouldn't benefit from negative behavior, Bitadze getting tossed.
How often does an NBA player get ejected for looking and scratching his head?

FYI the guys on ESPN this morning were saying Bitadze should be suspended for "biting" Payton which I think is ridiculous but from the right angle you can see he actually did "chomp" his teeth at Payton but not actually bite him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I realize the difference may be the touching but there were two actions on Payton's part (stare and head scratch) that iniated the incident. Actions can be worse than words if Bitadze said anything.

Payton wanted something to happen... he got it. The offender shouldn't benefit from negative behavior, Bitadze getting tossed.
I agree with Russ. Just can’t be physical contact. No one gets thrown out for what Payton did.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How often does an NBA player get ejected for looking and scratching his head?

FYI the guys on ESPN this morning were saying Bitadze should be suspended for "biting" Payton which I think is ridiculous but from the right angle you can see he actually did "chomp" his teeth at Payton but not actually bite him.

That type of adolescent behavior should have gone out of style by the first year of high school. The NBA was very lucky there wasn't a fight.

Can't let one player taunt another player and then only eject the one who responds last. It's an old NBA player trick for getting key players ejected.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Booker or Paul did what GP2 did there would be people up in arms here because he got T'd up. Don't even go there with getting tossed.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Booker or Paul did what GP2 did there would be people up in arms here because he got T'd up. Don't even go there with getting tossed.
Literally one of the more famous stare downs in recent history is when CP3 was on the Thunder and Harden on the Rockets and during a FT, CP3 stood there staring down Harden. No T, no ejection, no fight nothing. Afterwards CP3 was asked about it and said I was looking at the bench. When they told Harden that he just laughed. And for the record nobody was saying CP3 should have been ejected they were just wondering why he was staring down Harden since they played together.

Payton wasn't trying to start a fight, his dad would have gotten ejected from every game he ever played in if that's an objectable offense his dad invented the mean mug

And i think you're agreeing with me I'm just mentioning CP3 here because you did. Guys dunk and then look at someone in literally every NBA game. Payton held it too long and that's why he got the T.

If anybody was gesturing there it's Steph Curry who's dancing through the entire thing

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That type of adolescent behavior should have gone out of style by the first year of high school. The NBA was very lucky there wasn't a fight.

Can't let one player taunt another player and then only eject the one who responds last. It's an old NBA player trick for getting key players ejected.

I think he got a T and that's the appropriate response there.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he got a T and that's the appropriate response there.

It's not just the stare but Payton scratching his head while staring at him that put it over the top. Players stare all the time.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Taunting X 2.
Again, what are you talking about? Are you saying that the stare is tech 1 and the scratching of the head tech 2? That's pretty ridiculous if that's what you are saying. Jalen Smith got t'd up for screaming and jumping around, should he have gotten 2 techs for that?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Remember when Booker got screwed by saying something whole bouncing the ball to the ref and was hit with double techs? No one here agreed with that. The common thing mentioned was a player should be given a minute to cool down but that didn't happen then. Calling for GP2 to get 2 techs is ridiculous.

I think 1 was a bit excessive. That was nothing we didn't see Oubre do almost nightly as a Sun.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

It’s not the one who responds last. It’s the one who can’t control themselves and resorts to physical actions.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not the one who responds last. It’s the one who can’t control themselves and resorts to physical actions.

I'm not a fan of players who persistently like to showboat. GPII held the ball up to Bitzgade after the dunk, stared him down and started scratching his head.

GPII does the stare down thing a lot after dunks. If I were a referee I'd start giving him some technicals until he stops this sort of behavior.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of players who persistently like to showboat. GPII held the ball up to Bitzgade after the dunk, stared him down and started scratching his head.

GPII does the stare down thing a lot after dunks. If I were a referee I'd start giving him some technicals until he stops this sort of behavior.

I’m sorry man, you want a guy TOSSED for that? That’s just silly. He hurt his team by getting a technical. That’s appropriate. Scratching his head was maybe the biggest nothingburger ever in terms of inciting anything. But adze has to not be an idiot there. You got dunked on. A player mugged and got a tech. That’s it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You were a big fan of Oubre who showboats as much as any player in the league.

Calling for an ejection of GP2 for that isn’t realistic, IMO.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry man, you want a guy TOSSED for that? That’s just silly. He hurt his team by getting a technical. That’s appropriate. Scratching his head was maybe the biggest nothingburger ever in terms of inciting anything. But adze has to not be an idiot there. You got dunked on. A player mugged and got a tech. That’s it.
You were a big fan of Oubre who showboats as much as any player in the league.

Calling for an ejection of GP2 for that isn’t realistic, IMO.

From what I now understand that was Bitzgade's second technical so that's why he was ejected. It makes me feel better about it. I believe there needs to be some equity in these situations.

There is a difference between celebrating and taunting.

I do believe the referees need to watch GPII after some of his dunks for this type of behavior.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
From what I now understand that was Bitzgade's second technical so that's why he was ejected. It makes me feel better about it. I believe there needs to be some equity in these situations.

I do believe the referees need to watch GPII after some of his dunks for this type of behavior.
Want to get this straight -- so now you are NOT advocating for GPIII to be ejected with 2 techs?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

they do. They gave him a technical for his stare down after the dunk.

And again, you had NO problem with Oubre doing all the same stuff so complaining about GP2 doing seems a little weird. Considering you never admonished Oubre for the same, this Seems more like jealousy on your that we don’t have that kind of guy to really make the crowd go nuts on those plays than actual concern.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Want to get this straight -- so now you are not advocating for GPIII to be ejected with 2 techs?

I believe there is more equity in the situation if both players got technicals but Bitgade was ejected because he had one earlier.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they do. They gave him a technical for his stare down after the dunk.

And again, you had NO problem with Oubre doing all the same stuff so complaining about GP2 doing seems a little weird. Considering you never admonished Oubre for the same, this Seems more like jealousy on your that we don’t have that kind of guy to really make the crowd go nuts on those plays than actual concern.

If Oubre taunted a Suns player I would be all over it. Celebrating is a different matter in my book.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I believe there is more equity in the situation if both players got technicals but Bitgade was ejected because he had one earlier.
But both players did get technicals. Are you saying if the Pacers player got two at the moment (even though he didn't), then GP should have gotten 2 as well?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave