Why you fire Kingsbury now

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Ready your arguments. This would be the worst time to change head coaches. About 25% of the league is already looking to do so. That said I can’t imagine anyone watching last night’s game and concluding this was a well coached team.

I won’t belabor the point about wins and I know it sounds crazy to say it, but that’s not the only way to evaluate coaching. Here’s why you change, IMO.
  1. This coach does not construct effective game plans consistently. He did have a good plan against the Bears and ironically in 2 of the 3 games McCoy started. In too many other games, including the playoff game, he came up empty.
  2. Despite supposedly being an offensive guru, he has issues evaluating and developing QBs. He picked Murray who seems to lack leadership skills and poise. Murray has numerous technical deficiencies, which Kingsbury has only slightly improved. Murray’s comments on film study would seem to indicate either Kingsbury has no clue on development or Murray can do as he chooses. None of this means Murray can‘t be salvaged.
  3. Murray seems reluctant to run. I assume for fear of injury. This is Murray’s most reliable weapon. You have to use it. Kingsbury should call it more often. Force the issue.
  4. Murray kills too many drives by taking sacks. He simply holds the ball too long. In his third year he should have been coached out of this.
  5. Kingsbury has no clue on defense. If something needs to be adjusted on defense mid-game, Kingsbury has no credibility. This also means no one is holding the DC accountable.
  6. Common occurring situations, like a 2 minute drill, are undertaken. It’s like Kingsbury had not planned to deal with such situations. He has little sense of clock management or time out usage.
  7. The play calling is not adapted to the game situation. In the playoff game, for example, instead of letting Murray settle in with some simple throws Kingsbury once again threw a pass attempt far longer than needed for the first down. Kingsbury has done this too often throughout the season.
  8. Kingsbury takes needless gambles. I’m not opposed to going on fourth down as the stats support it, but not early in your own end of the field. He eschews taking a sure 3 points trying for a risky TD. He went for 2 point conversion way too early. He’s overly aggressive at the wrong times.
  9. Penalties have been allowed to kill too many drives. This is symptomatic of a lack of team discipline. There appears to be no consequences.
  10. Another obvious issue is having the team ready to play. Too often the Cards have appeared flat early in games. This is especially concerning in games that are important. It also seems the Cards play down to weaker opponents. They behave as if they just have to show up.
  11. He insists on being his own OC, which means only one POV is considered. I’m skeptical that even if you forced an OC on him that Kingsbury would let that coach do his job. I’m also not sure he’d allow a power QB coach.
I could keep going but what’s the point. This is more than enough to merit a change. Can anyone seriously believe most of these will be rectified? Whenever I post one of these everyone one asks, “Who would you hire?” Simple, I’d hire Todd Bowles. I’d also get a solid OC, who’d call plays and a QB coach. Bidwill should have a sit down with Murray. Murray would either get religion or be traded. I hate the idea of losing a player with Murray’s athletic ability, but he has to be willing to address his shortcomings and understand he’s not a star yet. In fact he never will be a star unless he improves. He’ll end up as one of those guys who you always ask, “why hasn’t that guy won it all? He has the tools.” It would be a setback to replace him, but there is talent available and this will be an attractive team to lead with the right personnel moves.

This late season collapse is sadly typical of Kingsbury’s career. I’m not convinced he’s willing to change his style enough to avoid that fate in the future. He didn’t do it in college and his career seemed on a downward trajectory when the Cards grabbed him. One of the board counterpoints I heard often was, “I’m just happy making the playoffs.” Well if you’re in that group, congratulations! You got your participation trophy. For me, if I were Bidwill, I’d be embarrassed by this game. I predict next year’s team will not make the playoffs unless there is a coaching change.

BTW, I’d previously written Kingsbury would be back. I still think he will but now it’s 75% yes, 25% no.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ready your arguments. This would be the worst time to change head coaches. About 25% of the league is already looking to do so. That said I can’t imagine anyone watching last night’s game and concluding this was a well coached team.

I won’t belabor the point about wins and I know it sounds crazy to say it, but that’s not the only way to evaluate coaching. Here’s why you change, IMO.
  1. This coach does not construct effective game plans consistently. He did have a good plan against the Bears and ironically in 2 of the 3 games McCoy started. In too many other games, including the playoff game, he came up empty.
  2. Despite supposedly being an offensive guru, he has issues evaluating and developing QBs. He picked Murray who seems to lack leadership skills and poise. Murray has numerous technical deficiencies, which Kingsbury has only slightly improved. Murray’s comments on film study would seem to indicate either Kingsbury has no clue on development or Murray can do as he chooses. None of this means Murray can‘t be salvaged.
  3. Murray seems reluctant to run. I assume for fear of injury. This is Murray’s most reliable weapon. You have to use it. Kingsbury should call it more often. Force the issue.
  4. Murray kills too many drives by taking sacks. He simply holds the ball too long. In his third year he should have been coached out of this.
  5. Kingsbury has no clue on defense. If something needs to be adjusted on defense mid-game, Kingsbury has no credibility. This also means no one is holding the DC accountable.
  6. Common occurring situations, like a 2 minute drill, are undertaken. It’s like Kingsbury had not planned to deal with such situations. He has little sense of clock management or time out usage.
  7. The play calling is not adapted to the game situation. In the playoff game, for example, instead of letting Murray settle in with some simple throws Kingsbury once again threw a pass attempt far longer than needed for the first down. Kingsbury has done this too often throughout the season.
  8. Kingsbury takes needless gambles. I’m not opposed to going on fourth down as the stats support it, but not early in your own end of the field. He eschews taking a sure 3 points trying for a risky TD. He went for 2 point conversion way too early. He’s overly aggressive at the wrong times.
  9. Penalties have been allowed to kill too many drives. This is symptomatic of a lack of team discipline. There appears to be no consequences.
  10. Another obvious issue is having the team ready to play. Too often the Cards have appeared flat early in games. This is especially concerning in games that are important. It also seems the Cards play down to weaker opponents. They behave as if they just have to show up.
  11. He insists on being his own OC, which means only one POV is considered. I’m skeptical that even if you forced an OC on him that Kingsbury would let that coach do his job. I’m also not sure he’d allow a power QB coach.
I could keep going but what’s the point. This is more than enough to merit a change. Can anyone seriously believe most of these will be rectified? Whenever I post one of these everyone one asks, “Who would you hire?” Simple, I’d hire Todd Bowles. I’d also get a solid OC, who’d call plays and a QB coach. Bidwill should have a sit down with Murray. Murray would either get religion or be traded. I hate the idea of losing a player with Murray’s athletic ability, but he has to be willing to address his shortcomings and understand he’s not a star yet. In fact he never will be a star unless he improves. He’ll end up as one of those guys who you always ask, “why hasn’t that guy won it all? He has the tools.” It would be a setback to replace him, but there is talent available and this will be an attractive team to lead with the right personnel moves.

This late season collapse is sadly typical of Kingsbury’s career. I’m not convinced he’s willing to change his style enough to avoid that fate in the future. He didn’t do it in college and his career seemed on a downward trajectory when the Cards grabbed him. One of the board counterpoints I heard often was, “I’m just happy making the playoffs.” Well if you’re in that group, congratulations! You got your participation trophy. For me, if I were Bidwill, I’d be embarrassed by this game. I predict next year’s team will not make the playoffs unless there is a coaching change.

BTW, I’d previously written Kingsbury would be back. I still think he will but now it’s 75% yes, 25% no.
We all know how you feel about Kliff. If that is the case, why would you start with the bolded?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have many issues with Kliff (I've written threads on it) but he also has the 2nd most wins in a season in Cards history.

I really can't get past blaming anyone except Kyler. He was so astronomically bad. It wouldn't matter who we had at HC.

There's no game plan that can compensate for that dog **** performance.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This would be the worst time to change head coaches. About 25% of the league is already looking to do so
I had this thought this morning. this would be a really tough time to hire someone.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The title of this thread is trolling. So I am going to change it to better match your well thought out and well written argument.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The title of this thread is trolling. So I am going to change it to better match your well thought out and well written argument.
Thanks, I thought about doing it, but I didn't want it to look like I had some sort of agenda.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have many issues with Kliff (I've written threads on it) but he also has the 2nd most wins in a season in Cards history.

I really can't get past blaming anyone except Kyler. He was so astronomically bad. It wouldn't matter who we had at HC.

Really? You don’t think a game plan to maybe run Conner before midway thru the second half may have helped? Maybe some short quick passes or screens, you know all the stuff he did when we were down 4tds and worked and moved the ball? No KK starts out with ridiculous sideways garbage and long developing plays since our Oline is garbage against a good Dline? Yeah sure it’s all K1 lol wow…

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? You don’t think a game plan to maybe run Conner before midway thru the second half may have helped? Maybe some short quick passes or screens, you know all the stuff he did when we were down 4tds and worked and moved the ball? No KK starts out with ridiculous sideways garbage and long developing plays since our Oline is garbage against a good Dline? Yeah sure it’s all K1 lol wow…
The Cards tried this but the Rams saw right through it.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can Kliff, promote Vance and elevate the staff. Best coached game was Cleveland. Then I stack the defense. All off-season resources go to improve the D in all facets. Maybe get some WRs too. Take away Kliff's ridiculous decisions and refine what we have without a complete implosion

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well said Nashman!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree Harry. Kingsbury is not going anywhere. Keim is not going anywhere.
We will hear the ear candy about “ getting better” and “ building on what we’ve done”.
If you had a boxer who wins all the early rounds but repeatedly gets knocked out in the 10th round, is that successful?
What bothers me the most is Kyler’s shortcomings in reading defenses and decision making. Even when he succeeds it could be argued he made a spectacular throw but percentage wise it was wrong. He constantly misses open receivers, holds the ball too long, is late moving off his spot and doesn’t recognize the breakdown of a play losing yards instead of simply throwing it away. This is his third year in the league.
Yes he is a great athlete and makes some spectacular plays. But most of the time all you need is an easy completion. He needs to learn that.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can Kliff, promote Vance and elevate the staff. Best coached game was Cleveland. Then I stack the defense. All off-season resources go to improve the D in all facets. Maybe get some WRs too. Take away Kliff's ridiculous decisions and refine what we have without a complete implosion
No way I promote Vance. I either clean house, or let it ride one more year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t bold it and they changed my headline. Haven‘t checked for other adjustments
I bolded it in my response to you, not your thread. Your title needed to been changed.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score

Except he was Kingsbury’s dream QB. A head coach needs to be a better judge of talent or be better at developing it.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This all needs to come down to Kyler stepping up. Either he goes to Bidwills office and says:

"I was flat our horrible, Kliff has done everything he can to set me up for success and I need to put in more work and get better"

or

"Kliff is not the coach for this team. We could be a better team, and I could be a better QB with a different coach. I have NEVER wanted to play for Kingsbury...since I was in HS. He has been obsessed with me, but I have never seen anything that made me want to play for this guy".

It's part of his job if he's a true franchise QB. You do something to put this team on a track towards a SB.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I bolded it in my response to you, not your thread. Your title needed to been changed.
So I guess you’re saying because I challenged others in the headline that wasn’t respectful? I don’t see where else I could have violated the sites rules. Certainly trolling is not specified that I can see.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I guess you’re saying because I challenged others in the headline that wasn’t respectful? I don’t see where else I could have violated the sites rules. Certainly trolling is not specified that I can see.
Both myself and another moderator thought the thread title was trolling. I didn't make the change because I didn't want you to think it was done because I didn't agree with your opinion.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose