On the offseason

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to vanish from the football board in offseason all the draft stuff starts to drive me nuts. We have so many needs.

Have to get at least 1 and probably 2 WR's. I still think Kirk stays because Kyler and he are tight but he crapped the bed tonight too. Aj Green I've been a big fan of yours for your entire career but just not good enough. London Drake would be a godsend.

Gotta get someone who can defend the run inside, I like Jordan Davis but not sure he'll be there. We also need edge rush.

If Maxx comes back we're good if not we need another TE you can see tonight how bad Daniels is blew the first drive running into the tackler and is just bad. Ertz is not great at YAC but he's always open. Gotta get another TE.

And we need CB's, I think Marco will get better, Murphy too but we need more.

And man do we need Tackles on the OL

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I tend to vanish from the football board in offseason all the draft stuff starts to drive me nuts. We have so many needs.

Have to get at least 1 and probably 2 WR's. I still think Kirk stays because Kyler and he are tight but he crapped the bed tonight too. Aj Green I've been a big fan of yours for your entire career but just not good enough. London Drake would be a godsend.

Gotta get someone who can defend the run inside, I like Jordan Davis but not sure he'll be there. We also need edge rush.

If Maxx comes back we're good if not we need another TE you can see tonight how bad Daniels is blew the first drive running into the tackler and is just bad. Ertz is not great at YAC but he's always open. Gotta get another TE.

Seems we need way more picks than we have to fill all these roles.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Forget the skill players, we need to improve the trenches immensely if we are able to improve. We can't stop the run and cannot get enough pressure without a blitz for a guy like Vance to have any success with his exotic crap or can a guy like Kyler be able to function without a running game. This is the ironic thing, we have a passing OC/coach when what we really need is a running minded coach. If you think this is not right, think how dangerous the Niners would be with QB like Kyler that is based on running the ball... when this offense was gelling, we were running the ball a lot and were one of the teams leading the league in rushing

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Meant to say guards here the tackles and C are OK the guards suck

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems we need way more picks than we have to fill all these roles.

By offseason I mean both draft and FA but yes we have tons of holes. And if we change coaches the schemes will change too. That alone may save Kliff's job

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forget the skill players, we need to improve the trenches immensely if we are able to improve. We can't stop the run and cannot get enough pressure without a blitz for a guy like Vance to have any success with his exotic crap or can a guy like Kyler be able to function without a running game. This is the ironic thing, we have a passing OC/coach when what we really need is a running minded coach. If you think this is not right, think how dangerous the Niners would be with QB like Kyler that is based on running the ball... when this offense was gelling, we were running the ball a lot and were one of the teams leading the league in rushing

But IMO that was because the RB's were healthy, and D HOp was healthy. Teams defend us totally differently when we have D Hop and we were ahead so running more. Remember we were doing all that with very little running from Kyler earlier in the season. The problem is D Hop got hurt and the offense fell off a Kliff(see what I did there). Kliff and Kyler had to figure out that out and couldn't.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
But IMO that was because the RB's were healthy, and D HOp was healthy. Teams defend us totally differently when we have D Hop and we were ahead so running more. Remember we were doing all that with very little running from Kyler earlier in the season. The problem is D Hop got hurt and the offense fell off a Kliff(see what I did there). Kliff and Kyler had to figure out that out and couldn't.
I was thinking when this team started to look different, when it lost something. Yes, it was obvious when D-Hop went out, Hudson out in spurts but even though we acquired Ertz... believe it or not, this team in hindsight took a huge hit when Max Williams went out, we lost a physical TE who could block and get our running game moving while still being able to catch and set the tone

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So after three exciting years we’re back where we were after Rosens rookie season where we just need to surround Murray with so much talent he can’t fail. More RBs, WRs, OL. One of which is the most fungible position in the league and the other two Keim has only been able to find by paying top dollar.

Sounds like a great offseason ahead!

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after three exciting years we’re back where we were after Rosens rookie season where we just need to surround Murray with so much talent he can’t fail. More RBs, WRs, OL. One of which is the most fungible position in the league and the other two Keim has only been able to find by paying top dollar.

Sounds like a great offseason ahead!

on the UCLA board I'm on the football guys are saying USC fans are scared the Cards will fire Kliff and hire Lincoln Riley like we hired Kliff out from under them.

I hope we move on from Kliff and I hope we get a HC who has NFL experience but I don't see it happening I see us waiting "one more year."

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I see. What happen at the end of last year?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
on the UCLA board I'm on the football guys are saying USC fans are scared the Cards will fire Kliff and hire Lincoln Riley like we hired Kliff out from under them.

I hope we move on from Kliff and I hope we get a HC who has NFL experience but I don't see it happening I see us waiting "one more year."
I just don’t see the people who want to move on from Kliff proposing reasonable successors to him. Eric Bienemy already told us no. LOL Josh McDaniels.

Maybe It is Doug Pederson but yikes.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I see. What happen at the end of last year?

Totally different year but Kyler was injured and wasn't running.

The problem this year was after Maxx went out and D Hop got hurt, Kliff and Kyler were never able to rework the offense. Getting Ertz was a great move but we were never able to replace D Hop. KK and K1 had to be better and they weren't

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don’t see the people who want to move on from Kliff proposing reasonable successors to him. Eric Bienemy already told us no. LOL Josh McDaniels.

I don't know who the guy is believe me. But like people are saying you can't commit to Kyler after last night and his performances in big games, you can't commit to Kliff for the same reason, 3 years of collapses and teams not ready to play. I do like Kliff but I don't think he's a head coach.

I don't know who the guy is but I refuse to believe there's not at least 1 guy out there we can hire who'd be better than Kliff.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally different year but Kyler was injured and wasn't running.

The problem this year was after Maxx went out and D Hop got hurt, Kliff and Kyler were never able to rework the offense. Getting Ertz was a great move but we were never able to replace D Hop. KK and K1 had to be better and they weren't
Other teams have lost players but they don’t have a total collapse.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kliff adapts less than an seasoned coach who had success in the league. I think Kliff is just plain dumb.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Todd Bowles. I think he may say no until Keim is here.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I don't know who the guy is believe me. But like people are saying you can't commit to Kyler after last night and his performances in big games, you can't commit to Kliff for the same reason, 3 years of collapses and teams not ready to play. I do like Kliff but I don't think he's a head coach.

I don't know who the guy is but I refuse to believe there's not at least 1 guy out there we can hire who'd be better than Kliff.
It's like this, Kliff could be a great OC with a head coach looking over his shoulder to rein him back to reality when he goes off. Yeah, in a perfect world I would keep Kliff's salary as is to appease him and let him be the OC but bring in a guy like Caldwell to anchor the team and provide leadership and better game management... then Kliff could still develop Murray but then you have an authority over him who could then be the 'bad guy' and put Kyler in his place too

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

That's fair but there are likely dozens of guys out there who AREN'T better than Kliff and I don't trust Michael and Keim to avoid those guys. Here are the names I'd be interested in talking to:

Mike Kafka (KC QB Coach/Passing Game Coordinator)
Brian Dabol (BUF OC)
Greg Roman (BAL OC)
Pete Carmichael (NO OC)

But there are just offensive coaches with more experience than Kliff. I think people are going to be disappointed with those options and want a hard guy who's going to be "tough" on people. I dunno if that's John Fox or Bill O'Brien or what.

Todd Bowles. I think he may say no until Keim is here.
I don't understand this. Are we going to turn into a defense-first team? Bowles brought in Chan Gailey for his first season with the Jets, started 38 year-old Josh McCown for 13 games(!!!!!!!!!!!!!) his second season, then did nothing to develop Sam Darnold with Jeremy Bates as his OC.

If the top priority is seeing how you can maximize Kyler Murray's ability before you guarantee him $140 million over six or eight years, I don't see how Bowles gets you to that point.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That's fair but there are likely dozens of guys out there who AREN'T better than Kliff and I don't trust Michael and Keim to avoid those guys. Here are the names I'd be interested in talking to:

Mike Kafka (KC QB Coach/Passing Game Coordinator)
Brian Dabol (BUF OC)
Greg Roman (BAL OC)
Pete Carmichael (NO OC)

But there are just offensive coaches with more experience than Kliff. I think people are going to be disappointed with those options and want a hard guy who's going to be "tough" on people. I dunno if that's John Fox or Bill O'Brien or what.

I don't understand this. Are we going to turn into a defense-first team? Bowles brought in Chan Gailey for his first season with the Jets, started 38 year-old Josh McCown for 13 games(!!!!!!!!!!!!!) his second season, then did nothing to develop Sam Darnold with Jeremy Bates as his OC.

If the top priority is seeing how you can maximize Kyler Murray's ability before you guarantee him $140 million over six or eight years, I don't see how Bowles gets you to that point.
Yeah...if you think a "tough guy" HC is going to get Kyler to buy in, you aren't paying attention. That isn't to say that Kliff is the answer, but Kyler has to decide he wants to be coached hard before you can coach him hard.

The only other name that kinda makes sense is Doug Pederson but I doubt he would sign up unless Keim was gone.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other teams have lost players but they don’t have a total collapse.

I don't know what you want me to say I said they need to be better and weren't. I am 100% on with firing Kliff.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose