Jalen Smith

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By that I just mean all the Suns podcast and people that cover the Suns not from the Suns themselves

There is too much speculation out there and no one to ask James Jones unequivocally why he didn't pick up the option on Jalen Smith. I'd like a clear answer.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think they should just keep Stix and look at him as a one-year rental. He can help them if he can play PF - he's an excellent rebounder and a live body around the basket on offense and defense. Even wen he's not scoring he can make a contribution.

This offseason you either sign him to a deal equaling what his option was or he chooses to go somewhere else. I consider that a better option that picking up a veteran with a questionable contract that might tempt them to be cheap about resigning Ayton.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will repeat this tweet here because it is a clue why the Suns did not pick up the option on Jalen Smith.

Per Monty, the Suns viewed Smith as more of a Jerami Grant type player in college.

IMO, that is still not a good reason not to pick up his option even if he is more of a 5.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns have always compared Jalen Smith to a Jerami Grant type player.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is too much speculation out there and no one to ask James Jones unequivocally why he didn't pick up the option on Jalen Smith. I'd like a clear answer.

He’s not gonna say anything he’s gonna give you a BS media answer

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s not gonna say anything he’s gonna give you a BS media answer

Might want to read the above tweets about Suns thinking Jalen Smith might be a Jerami Grant type player.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was talking about James Jones and the contract

I was as well.

If the Suns thought Stix was a Jerami Grant type player it hints at the reason they didn't pick up his option because he is more a 5 right now.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was as well.

f the Suns thought Stix was a Gerami Grant type player it hints at the reason they didn't pick up his option because he is more a 5 right now.
I don't know of anyone that didn't think of Stix as a likely stretch 4 in the NBA. Slim waist and hips, pencils for legs and only 6'9, that type of body doesn't usually get pegged as a center.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know of anyone that didn't think of Stix as a likely stretch 4 in the NBA. Slim waist and hips, pencils for legs and only 6'9, that type of body doesn't usually get pegged as a center.

That was the projection but Smith was a 5 in college. He may still well transition to a 4 but it doesn't always mean it happens quickly.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was the projection but Smith was a 5 in college. He may still well transition to a 4 but it doesn't always mean it happens quickly.
He played some center but he was mostly a forward in college, that's why he finished as a finalist for the Karl Malone power forward award. He was primarily projected as an NBA power forward or a stretch 5 by scouts, IOW he was expected to excel on the outside.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He played some center but he was mostly a forward in college, that's why he finished as a finalist for the Karl Malone power forward award. He was primarily projected as an NBA power forward or a stretch 5 by scouts, IOW he was expected to excel on the outside.

I've spent a lot of time on the forum saying Smith can shoot.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've spent a lot of time on the forum saying Smith can shoot.
I think for Monty the concern was more than just his shot, it was his inability to understand his responsibilities on defense. He was like Booker used to be, never understood when and where to rotate. Of course, Booker finally got it and it looks like Jalen would have too if he'd been given enough time.

But we weren't in in search of a championship so we had the luxury of letting Devin play through his defensive failures. In hindsight I think many of us wish we'd have risked a few more losses to bring Smith along last season but obviously that didn't happen.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think for Monty the concern was more than just his shot, it was his inability to understand his responsibilities on defense. He was like Booker used to be, never understood when and where to rotate. Of course, Booker finally got it and it looks like Jalen would have too if he'd been given enough time.

But we weren't in in search of a championship so we had the luxury of letting Devin play through his defensive failures. In hindsight I think many of us wish we'd have risked a few more losses to bring Smith along last season but obviously that didn't happen.

Smith is just in his second season so I think not picking up the option on a player that has not played a lot is a mistake.

I know the Suns want him to be a 4 but IMO it's more about hitting on a player in the draft than getting the position right.

He will be easier to trade if the Suns had picked up his option if he disappoints at the 4.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But his game was a centers game. He never showed the ability to really take anyone off the dribble. No handles. I think people projected him as a four, but in no way did his game resemble jerami grants who is more a 3-4 tweeter (with a lean to the 3 imo). Even if two players play the same position they can be vastly different. I think it’s obvious (at least to me) that grant and stix weren’t comparable.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Smith is just in his second season so I think not picking up the option on a player that has not played a lot is a mistake.

I know the Suns want him to be a 4 but IMO it's more about hitting on a player in the draft than getting the position right.

He will be easier to trade if the Suns had picked up his option if he disappoints at the 4.
I think everyone on the board agrees with this.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smith is listed at 6’10 and is clearly a legit 6’10 out there.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But his game was a centers game. He never showed the ability to really take anyone off the dribble. No handles. I think people projected him as a four, but in no way did his game resemble jerami grants who is more a 3-4 tweeter (with a lean to the 3 imo). Even if two players play the same position they can be vastly different. I think it’s obvious (at least to me) that grant and stix weren’t comparable.
I never heard him compared to Grant until it showed up here a day or two ago. I heard him compared to Serge Ibaka the most but I also recall hearing NBA comps of Channing Frye, Taj Gibson, PJ Brown, Myles Turner and I'm sure there were others.

I disagree that his college game was really a center's game, he played more forward than center but that was in large part because he didn't really fit either position. He had no post up game, didn't body up well and he was at his best as a help side defender, he had no playmaking or ballhandling skills, he showed a nice touch from midrange and longer but he was never a consistent shooter and so on. In the end, I think scouts just regarded him as an NBA stretch 5 or 4 because his skinny legs and slender hips fit best there.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I never heard him compared to Grant until it showed up here a day or two ago. I heard him compared to Serge Ibaka the most but I also recall hearing NBA comps of Channing Frye, Taj Gibson, PJ Brown, Myles Turner and I'm sure there were others.

I disagree that his college game was really a center's game, he played more forward than center but that was in large part because he didn't really fit either position. He had no post up game, didn't body up well and he was at his best as a help side defender, he had no playmaking or ballhandling skills, he showed a nice touch from midrange and longer but he was never a consistent shooter and so on. In the end, I think scouts just regarded him as an NBA stretch 5 or 4 because his skinny legs and slender hips fit best there.
All the guys listed are better comps than grant. By a shot.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fine, go by his height in shoes. Personally, I prefer actual height when known, and barefoot he's listed at 6'9.25
I go by the height listed for every guy that all take into account shoes.

I mean, I don’t see you talking about Grants height without shoes also?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fine, go by his height in shoes. Personally, I prefer actual height when known, and barefoot he's listed at 6'9.25
Oh. Then he's 6-11. Shoes usually add an inch plus. I don't go by barefoot heights. No one in the NBA really ever has, not point in starting now.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK. So weird idea. If we traded Jalen could we then pursue him in free agency and pay him more? For instance, the Suns could trade Smith for Torrey Craig. Craigs contract next year is non-guaranteed, so they could let him go in the summer. Then they could sign Smith in free agency and have him for the long term. You get the vet for the playoffs and the young guy for the long haul.

There must be a rule against doing that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose