Suns updates and discussion for the 2021-22 season

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This is pretty impressive... especially considering none of us feel like we’re clicking on all cylinders right now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the 15-man requirement include 2-ways? Or are those in addition? If so, and you don't count 10-day contracts, don't we have one spot?

Or they could just be referring to the 2nd 2-way.

Two-way contracts are in addition to the 15 man roster. They are in a category of their own. Bismack Biyombo filled the 15th roster spot.

The Suns can still trade or waive someone from the 15 man roster though to clear room.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Two-way contracts are in addition to the 15 man roster. They are in a category of their own. Bismack Biyombo filled the 15th roster spot.

The Suns can still trade or waive someone from the 15 man roster though to clear room.
They must have been referring tot he extra 2-way we have available then. Which doesn't help their argument.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is pretty impressive... especially considering none of us feel like we’re clicking on all cylinders right now.

Especially if that includes the games against Boston and the Heat.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The memphis numbers are more impressive.

They haven't had Dillon Brooks for most of that stretch.

They are seriously starting to scare me.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jalen already has 6 rebounds.

Man... not picking that option up could be a really ugly brain fart after this season.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jalen already has 6 rebounds.

Man... not picking that option up could be a really ugly brain fart after this season.

It wasn't a brain fart, Sarver was being cheap, nothing more, nothing less. Declining that option had zero potential benefit other than saving ownership a few mil.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't a brain fart, Sarver was being cheap, nothing more, nothing less. Declining that option had zero potential benefit other than saving ownership a few mil.

Yea there is no other excuse. I don't know how it went down but I imagine JJ was told to trim costs somehow and he decided to do so with Stix.

I don't get how people can claim it wasn't a financial decision. The only way I'll believe that is if the Suns offer him more than $4 million this offseason, which isn't happening. I think he was owed $4.7 million, which he's not getting from us.

I'm a little surprised that Sarver hasn't told Monty and JJ not to play Stix in an effort to lower his value. Although that could come after the trade deadline. There might be hope now we can flip him for someone or something of value but he needs playing time for that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea there is no other excuse. I don't know how it went down but I imagine JJ was told to trim costs somehow and he decided to do so with Stix.

I don't get how people can claim it wasn't a financial decision. The only way I'll believe that is if the Suns offer him more than $4 million this offseason, which isn't happening. I think he was owed $4.7 million, which he's not getting from us. If anything it makes a lot more sense that if he just wanted to save money he'd overrule them on the more expensive Shamet and extend Smith at a much lower cost.

I'm a little surprised that Sarver hasn't told Monty and JJ not to play Stix in an effort to lower his value. Although that could come after the trade deadline. There might be hope now we can flip him for someone or something of value but he needs playing time for that.
I'm sure it was a financial decision and a bad one at that. I just don't agree that it was solely a financial decision nor that it was solely on our idiot owner. I don't believe that had Monty and JJ been pushing for an extension that Sarver would have just overruled them on it.

As for not playing him to keep his value down, I think it might be too late for that. Regardless, I would much rather risk his value going up by using him in an effort to win it all then I would to limit his opportunities in the faint hopes we might be able to re-sign him. Play him, develop him further, and if we win a championship with his help, at least we'll have gotten some value out of him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't get how people can claim it wasn't a financial decision. The only way I'll believe that is if the Suns offer him more than $4 million this offseason, which isn't happening. I think he was owed $4.7 million, which he's not getting from us.

Almost everything you said here is wrong. We will offer him the $4.7 million. It was a cap decision. It's not about paying the money but about WHO will get the money. They did miss on their evaluation of Stix. He turned it around in surprising fashion. He is not really tradable because of restrictions any team that trades for him would have in trying to resign him. Therefore, playing him more cannot be an effort to improve his value for a trade. Playing him more is about the fact that he is valuable now. It might, just might also show him he has a playing role here if perchance he might be interested in signing here.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost everything you said here is wrong. We will offer him the $4.7 million. It was a cap decision. It's not about paying the money but about WHO will get the money. They did miss on their evaluation of Stix. He turned it around in surprising fashion. He is not really tradable because of restrictions any team that trades for him would have in trying to resign him. Therefore, playing him more cannot be an effort to improve his value for a trade. Playing him more is about the fact that he is valuable now. It might, just might also show him he has a playing role here if perchance he might be interested in signing here.

I don't see any difference in picking up the option on Stix earlier this season or paying him next season because the $4.7 million only counts for next season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you think the Suns will pay Stix $4.7 million this off-season then I've got a bridge to sell you. There's no way that happens. He's as good as gone when the season ends.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you think the Suns will pay Stix $4.7 million this off-season then I've got a bridge to sell you. There's no way that happens. He's as good as gone when the season ends.
I think the Suns will offer whatever they are allowed to offer and yes, Stix will almost definitely take a higher offer elsewhere. That's assuming he finishes the season with us.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns will offer whatever they are allowed to offer and yes, Stix will almost definitely take a higher offer elsewhere. That's assuming he finishes the season with us.

Stix is likely gone after the season but there are three reasons he might stay if the money is equal:

1. Chris Paul.
2. A Championship.
3. And a clearly defined role with the assurance he is rotation piece going forward.

Bobby Portis took less to stay in Milwaukee but he has earned more career money.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stix is likely gone after the season but there are three reasons he might stay if the money is equal:

1. Chris Paul.
2. A Championship.
3. And a clearly defined role with the assurance he is rotation piece going forward.

Bobby Portis took less to stay in Milwaukee but he has earned more career money.
Yeah, the odds are against us but I like the kid and the energy he brings to the game so odds or not, I'm still holding on to the very slim hope that he chooses to stay.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think they will offer 4.7. He will get a higher offer somewhere else. There is a very slim chance he will stay but that would only be because he sees himself in a significant role in the rotation. Much more likely he takes a bigger offer and a bigger role on a lesser team. I really doubt he will be traded. The present contract restrictions mitigate against it.

It is what it is.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they will offer 4.7. He will get a higher offer somewhere else. There is a very slim chance he will stay but that would only be because he sees himself in a significant role in the rotation. Much more likely he takes a bigger offer and a bigger role on a lesser team. I really doubt he will be traded. The present contract restrictions mitigate against it.

It is what it is.
I think he leaves for greener pastures this offseason. But a team looking to cut salary might have interest in taking a one year rental that can also help them make the playoffs. IOW, Boston and Dennis. Is it good for us? I have no idea. It depends on several things, one of which has to do with whether we think we can find regular PT for Jalen the rest of this season. With CamJ, Jae, Mcgee, Ayton and Biyombo that might be difficult.

I know that Schroeder can play but I've never been one of his fans. However, despite what's been said here about him lately by several posters, I had thought he'd been somewhat rehabilitated and had moved beyond the selfish, often brain-dead player he had been. If CP believes in him (and I stress the "if") then adding another scoring threat might makes sense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Vigil with the slam dunk.

Also I think Steve Kerr has compared Kuminga to Giannis.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some indicators when the Suns are playing well at the halfway point in the season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose