Signings, Trades, Rumors including Suns and NBA

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dennis Schroder? What makes you even mention that name? There is no way that James Jones and Monty are giving up on Cam Payne. None.

Schroder was a name mentioned in the trade rumors. The Suns could use another point guard to rest Chris Paul. Payne and Payton doesn't seem to be the answer.

Like Payne, Schroder can get the the rim. It would be exciting to see those two play together, create shots and collapse the defense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are not trading Ayton.
I'd rather have Stix than Schroder can we trade Nader Hutch and Payton for him lol.
No matter what FLEX says Thad Young is no longer on our radar. Why would we trade Stix for a worse player?
Get bent Pop you took too long and wanted too much enjoy the rest of your season. Cam J? LMAO!

IMO, the Suns have two needs to solidify the team, another forward and a ball handler. Schroder would upgrade the Suns depth at point guard.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because he's been better than Cam Payne this year?

No need to look at it this way. Payne and Schroder's speed, shooting and ability to create would drive defenses crazy.

I wouldn't give up Payne and Schroder is an expiring contract.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, the Suns will add another big. It's more about getting BPA if they trade Jalen Smith.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We just did in BB.

We need a guy that can creat his own shot
BB isn't really a rotation player -- he's a nice to have. We were struggling big time getting rebounds last night and Monty didn't bother putting Biz in for more than a few minutes. What makes you think he's a solution?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We just did in BB.

We need a guy that can creat his own shot

Schroder can put pressure on defenses with his speed and drives to the basket. He can finish. There are no perfect solutions.

Suns still can add a forward by waiving a player such as Nader or Payton.

Also Saric might be a trade option.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Schroder can put pressure on defenses with his speed and drives to the basket. He can finish. There are no perfect solutions.

Suns still can add a forward by waiving a player such as Nader or Payton.

Also Saric might be a trade option.

Your right there are no perfect solutions but God I hope we do something and not just stand still

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BB isn't really a rotation player -- he's a nice to have. We were struggling big time getting rebounds last night and Monty didn't bother putting Biz in for more than a few minutes. What makes you think he's a solution?

So how many big men do you want to add?

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Plus, I hate trading big for small.
That's where I'm at.

Pack Payton Nader and whatever else they will take from the end of the bench.
Schroder like him or not would be a BIG upgrade to Payton. He plays his ass off and I think Book/CP3 would love to play with him.
If it takes mins from Payne than so be it, Schroder is more stable/reliable. Knowing Payne it would make him play that much harder for mins "steel sharpens steel".

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That's where I'm at.

Pack Payton Nader and whatever else they will take from the end of the bench.
Schroder like him or not would be a BIG upgrade to Payton. He plays his ass off and I think Book/CP3 would love to play with him.
If it takes mins from Payne than so be it, Schroder is more stable/reliable. Knowing Payne it would make him play that much harder for mins "steel sharpens steel".
Schroder is an upgrade over Payton, but he's also twice as expensive. There will almost certainly be other teams that can offer more. Heck, just doing a simple Google search shows articles about rumors for Schroder from the Mavs, Bucks and Jazz.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jalen Smith and Elfrid Payton work in a trade for Dennis Schroder.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
That wasn't what I was referring to. What makes you think James Jones would give up on Cam Payne? Especially after just signing him to a decent contract?
I'm genuinely concerned by both Payne and Shamet. Their lack of size and strength, and their iffy offense have both been disappointing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A combination of Payne and Schroder could give Chris Paul some needed rest before the playoffs. This would be a serious plus for the Suns.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jalen Smith and Elfrid Payton work in a trade for Dennis Schroder.
Yeah, I think I'd make that deal. Our lack of perimeter quickness worries me, I'd rather find a combo 2/3 that brought quickness and defense but a quick PG might be the best we can do.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again. As I look at the roster, the place that seems the weakest, and in the necessity of improving the most, is back up point guard. Cam Payne was a breath of fresh air when he joined this team just prior to the Bubble, and he is miles better than even our starting point guards in years past. But I do not have the confidence to put this team in his hands in case of a CP3 injury. I think we need to be considering a better veteran or a PGOF in that backup position. Cam is neither of those.

However. I don't like Schroeder. I just don't.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Smith for Schroder ain't going to do it. Why do I need to provide a solution? You want to trade just to do it.

Because that’s kind of how it works. A guy brings up an idea and you shout it down so you must have a better idea or plan right.

Easiest thing in the world is to sit on the sideline and criticize.

No I don’t want to trade just to do it. The reality of the situation is no matter how much I like Stix and want to develop him the Suns screwed up and now there in a corner. He’s pretty much going to be gone.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see Ayton as being any less consistent than Bridges, Crowder or even Booker. He's pretty much good for 9-12 rebounds and 15-22 points a night. Probably 2/3rds of his games fall in (or close to) that range. He's shot 50% or better in 23 of his 26 games this year, and over 60% in 17 of them. All this while anchoring the defense.

Booker is all over the map when it comes to shooting this year - in 10 of his 33 games she's shot under 40%, 4 times under 30%. He's had 9 30-point games, but also 7 where he scored under 20 while shooting under 40%. Which isn't to say Booker isn't worth what he's paid, the point is that most players vary from game to game. Sometimes a great deal.
There is no universe where Ayton is coming close to regularly scoring 22 a night as that range suggests.
Dumas was a huge disappointment because of what he did to his career, on the court he brought nothing but hope for the future for me. Oliver Miller, I guess he belongs in the frustrating category although he's closer to Dumas than Ayton, most of the time on the court he was a huge positive for us, it was what he did to his body in the offseason that killed us.

Bedford, Clark, Bender and Chriss should have never been drafted - I never really found them frustrating, just disappointing. I had no idea who Greg Howard was when we drafted him but I never saw anything from him on the court to raise expectations to the point where I'd call him frustrating. Jackson was frustrating, he'd show glimpses of greatness but they were never more than glimpses.

Ayton clearly has the physical gifts to become an all time great. So the fact he can so completely disappear for stretches is hugely frustrating. And his hands? If those don't frustrate you at times, consider applying for sainthood. If he was a lesser force when he was at his best, his frequent disappearances wouldn't be so frustrating.

To be clear, all of these players were frustrating in their own way but we're just talking about being frustrated by a player frequently playing below their level. And in this category, DA dominates. And we pretty much have to give him a max contract and place our hopes for the future in his hands. That's frustrating.

for me the frustrating thing is I look at this team and wonder what it needs to be a favorite, heads and shoulders above all else... and it's already in our starting lineup with Ayton. He just doesn't bring the focus and intensity every game that would really make this not just the favorite, but a possible dynasty. We saw him REALLY lock-in for the first three rounds of the playoffs and the result was we pretty much rolled over everyone, even playing without CP3 or a one armed CP3 for big stretches of series.

if that guy played up to his potential, we'd be flat out dominant. especially with the depth and size we have this year. We're SO CLOSE to winning this thing, but Ayton is the X-factor.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just for kick say the Suns don’t want to max Ayton

Suns get:
Sabonis
Craig

Indy gets:
Ayton
Saric
Nader

Would you do that at the deadline?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Because that’s kind of how it works. A guy brings up an idea and you shout it down so you must have a better idea or plan right.

Easiest thing in the world is to sit on the sideline and criticize.

No I don’t want to trade just to do it. The reality of the situation is no matter how much I like Stix and want to develop him the Suns screwed up and now there in a corner. He’s pretty much going to be gone.
I'm going to be very surprised if we are able trade Jalen Smith for anything. Not because he isn't good, but because his contract hampers things.

I'm also wondering if the Suns have changed their minds and are trying to figure out a way to keep him, or at least convince him to stay beyond this season. If Javale isn't resigned, then you have an interesting situation for here in Phoenix.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard