Jalen Smith

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty on what Jalen Smith needs to do when he plays the 4 position.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Pfft, is that all? That sounds like a player you create on NBA2K22 with a 100 rating. How come Crowder doesn't have to do all that to be the starting PF?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McGee is 33

I think Ayton and Stix could hold down the center position for the next 5-10 years but Monty is going to try and make him a stretch 4 and it’s not gonna work

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pfft, is that all? That sounds like a player you create on NBA2K22 with a 100 rating. How come Crowder doesn't have to do all that to be the starting PF?

I don't know, but after hearing Monty explain it I just want to watch the movie.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If Stix were a free agent today he would be priced well out of our reach. I think we are not just limited to 4.7 mil but also to one year. I bet someone will offer him a 3 year deal for 8 mil plus per year.

Maybe through some 'wink wink' we can convince him that we'd pay up after next season but if another team is offering more money and a likely starting position then I don't see how we can convince him to stay.

Once we're healthy and the majority of his minutes are at the 4 again it will be interesting to see how he does. For us to even have the minutes for him to thrive he needs to succeed there.
I am thinking the opposite. There are guys with more talent taking one year vet minimums I could see teams wanting more. That pushes his value down. Up until this last week or two he wasn't showing anything on the floor for over a year playing. If I was a GM he would have to prove it more. Maybe if he gets minutes as the season goes on and he's able to maintain or improve his play, then he may increase his value. Right now, I don't think anyone would pay him more. Look at it this way, could we trade him now for a better player? I don't see James Jones having had that opportunity.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

You mean play like they have been making Ayton do. I get that the NBA thing is all about switching. Sometimes though, I want my shot blocker in the paint ready to make guys miss shots.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking the opposite. There are guys with more talent taking one year vet minimums I could see teams wanting more. That pushes his value down. Up until this last week or two he wasn't showing anything on the floor for over a year playing. If I was a GM he would have to prove it more. Maybe if he gets minutes as the season goes on and he's able to maintain or improve his play, then he may increase his value. Right now, I don't think anyone would pay him more. Look at it this way, could we trade him now for a better player? I don't see James Jones having had that opportunity.

Stix's value has only gone up since the Suns declined his option and were forced to play him.

If the Suns had picked up his option, his trade value would be more now.

While Stix is limited to a rookie scale contract, we really don't know the true dollar amount he is worth on a contract.

Do you think Stix is worth what the amount the Suns extended Landry Shamet? He makes $9,500,000 next season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean play like they have been making Ayton do. I get that the NBA thing is all about switching. Sometimes though, I want my shot blocker in the paint ready to make guys miss shots.

Mostly I think Ayton plays the 5 and defends the rim but the Suns do a lot of switching. Sometimes someone will ask who is guarding another player and a lot of times the answer is everyone. Versatility is so important the way the Suns play defense.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just don't know. He is a #10 pick that is starting to show promise. That is like getting a #10 pick for free for other teams that are willing to pay. The depth of the Suns roster might make some teams more intrigued by the idea that real talent is buried in the rotation.

However, I am shocked at the low esteem in which the center position is held in the NBA. It's rather like running backs in the NFL. Unless he really shows a lot of ability to play the stretch 4, the interest in him will likely be less than we imagine. Fans have short memories, execs might as well. If he goes back to DNP's other teams might forget about him. However, if he goes back to DNP's he might be ready to move on all the more.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I just don't know. He is a #10 pick that is starting to show promise. That is like getting a #10 pick for free for other teams that are willing to pay. The depth of the Suns roster might make some teams more intrigued by the idea that real talent is buried in the rotation.

However, I am shocked at the low esteem in which the center position is held in the NBA. It's rather like running backs in the NFL. Unless he really shows a lot of ability to play the stretch 4, the interest in him will likely be less than we imagine. Fans have short memories, execs might as well. If he goes back to DNP's other teams might forget about him. However, if he goes back to DNP's he might be ready to move on all the more.
I am hoping with more minutes he does relax more. That seems to be the key to his game, playing calm and with confidence. We are seeing that start to happen with some minutes on the floor.

In my time watching sports, running backs and centers were the stars on every team. Much like PG and QBs are now.

There was a guy name Dan Issel. His nickname was Issel the Missile. He would play Center, but scored most of his points on three point shots (he started in the ABA that had the three line before the NBA) and long range shooting. Back then centers typically did not leave the paint, and Issel would have 30+ point games. He was ahead of his time, but would be a star in today's league. However, coaches where so entrenched on keeping the center in the lane, they would just send a guard or small forward to try, unsuccessfully, to guard Issel. Not like today, where the Center is "forced" to leave the paint area. To the extreme, like the Suns, where they want the big men to guard the three point line. (This kills me when I see Chris Paul trying to guard a center attacking the rim since Ayton is guarding a three point shooter.)

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sadly we just cant have everyone. I love that Stix is improving and for sure want to keep him.
But at what cost? Do we lose Cam J. How the hell are we gonna pay that guy unless he takes some crappy deal to stay with Monte and JJ.
Again I don't know how the whole money thing works but Saver scares the **** outta me.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The arguably more talented guys on one year deals are all vets in their 30s. Smith is 21 and is showing clear double double potential. Someone is going to view signing him as being gifted a top 10 pick. I have no doubt that he will draw a lot of interest this summer.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The arguably more talented guys on one year deals are all vets in their 30s. Smith is 21 and is showing clear double double potential. Someone is going to view signing him as being gifted a top 10 pick. I have no doubt that he will draw a lot of interest this summer.
Yeah. Teams will pay more for a young player that could end up being something special. Vets are known commodities. And for Smith, this is the time to secure his financial future. I would not blame the kid at all for taking the best possible deal. Certainly, he should look at role and development too, but the Suns are limited on what they can offer him in that way as well.

We are in a situation like OKC was when they had KD, Russ, Harden, Ibaka etc.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sadly we just cant have everyone. I love that Stix is improving and for sure want to keep him.
But at what cost? Do we lose Cam J. How the hell are we gonna pay that guy unless he takes some crappy deal to stay with Monte and JJ.
Again I don't know how the whole money thing works but Saver scares the **** outta me.

We could waive Nader and trade Saric. That gives us two more. ;)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am hoping with more minutes he does relax more. That seems to be the key to his game, playing calm and with confidence. We are seeing that start to happen with some minutes on the floor.

In my time watching sports, running backs and centers were the stars on every team. Much like PG and QBs are now.

There was a guy name Dan Issel. His nickname was Issel the Missile. He would play Center, but scored most of his points on three point shots (he started in the ABA that had the three line before the NBA) and long range shooting. Back then centers typically did not leave the paint, and Issel would have 30+ point games. He was ahead of his time, but would be a star in today's league. However, coaches where so entrenched on keeping the center in the lane, they would just send a guard or small forward to try, unsuccessfully, to guard Issel. Not like today, where the Center is "forced" to leave the paint area. To the extreme, like the Suns, where they want the big men to guard the three point line. (This kills me when I see Chris Paul trying to guard a center attacking the rim since Ayton is guarding a three point shooter.)
I remember Issel well; as a player on the Colonels and then as a Nugget (player, Head coach and GM) and as part of the duo (along with John Lucas) that screwed us out of McDyess that first time.

But I think you're slightly misremembering Dan as a player. He was never really a good 3 point shooter and only made 10 total from distance during his 6 years in the ABA. For his career, he made a total of 29 3's while shooting 20% from the arc. Also, he actually played PF his first several years as a pro, and paired with Artis Gilmore to form a pretty tough front line.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I remember Issel well; as a player on the Colonels and then as a Nugget (player, Head coach and GM) and as part of the duo (along with John Lucas) that screwed us out of McDyess that first time.

But I think you're slightly misremembering Dan as a player. He was never really a good 3 point shooter and only made 10 total from distance during his 6 years in the ABA. For his career, he made a total of 29 3's while shooting 20% from the arc. Also, he actually played PF his first several years as a pro, and paired with Artis Gilmore to form a pretty tough front line.
Ha Ha! I guess it's relative compared to today. I remember an SI article about him hitting those threes and outside shots. I also remember watching an ABA game where he hit a three. So I got lucky to see one of his six!!! In Yuma there were not many ABA games on TV. I remember seeing Doctor J, and I think that was a championship or playoff game. I remember the Issel game because of the nickname.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If tonight’s any indication he’s still a loooooong way from being playable as a 4.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If tonight’s any indication he’s still a loooooong way from being playable as a 4.
Yep. He 100% has shown flashes of why the Suns drafted him but that's a far cry from him being a viable 4 over the course of a season. I give him credit though. He shocked the hell out of me during that stretch. I just don't know you retain him. He is going to cost you money and this team is about to have some very tough decisions coming up.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's never going to be a 4, but can be very valuable as a backup 5. Hopefully the Suns figure this out and stop trying to put a square peg in a round hole.
I disagree. I don't think he can ever be a true 5. I think in the long run PF is his natural position in this league.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree. I don't think he can ever be a true 5. I think in the long run PF is his natural position in this league.

He’s 100% a 5 he’s a long rim runner think Capela or even McGee.

He’s only going to get stronger.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He still has plenty to learn at either position but his body is more suited for the four while his skill set and positional understanding matches up much better with the 5. Right now, he's far better down low but if he can figure out defensive rotations at the 4 and improve his outside shooting, he'll make some all star teams as a power forward.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

He was drafted as a 4. He was playing 5 because of the guys out. Not to say he can't play there when playing small but he is no center. He has way more potential long term at the 4. His agility and quickness is wasted on Centers. He could be effective on defensive rotations against PF. If he develops a better shot that's butter.

He still has plenty to learn at either position but his body is more suited for the four while his skill set and positional understanding matches up much better with the 5. Right now, he's far better down low but if he can figure out defensive rotations at the 4 and improve his outside shooting, he'll make some all star teams as a power forward.

This. His potential is way higher play the PF spot.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tell you the truth, I already thought Cam was not going to be resigned because of our other salaries. Now he almost has to be because he is too good to lose for nothing.

Best case is Sarver does sell the team, and we get some new owners who have enough money they don't care about the tax. But that is pretty unlikely.