Cardinal History

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It was on this date in 1984 that the Cardinals lost to Washington, 29-27. A win would have given the Cards the NFC East. The Cards battled from being down and were leading late and it looked good as Washington had 3rd and 19. Thiesmann connected on a 20 yd pass and they kicked a fg to go ahead. The Cards drove down the field and as time expired, Neil O'Donoghue missed a game winning fg. I was crushed. Aside from the Super Bowl, it was in my fandom the team's worst loss ever. https://thebigredzone.com/2018/12/15/1984-revisiting-the-big-red-season-finale-at-rfk-stadium/

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was on this date in 1984 that the Cardinals lost to Washington, 29-27. A win would have given the Cards the NFC East. The Cards battled from being down and were leading late and it looked good as Washington had 3rd and 19. Thiesmann connected on a 20 yd pass and they kicked a fg to go ahead. The Cards drove down the field and as time expired, Neil O'Donoghue missed a game winning fg. I was crushed. Aside from the Super Bowl, it was in my fandom the team's worst loss ever. https://thebigredzone.com/2018/12/15/1984-revisiting-the-big-red-season-finale-at-rfk-stadium/
I was there that day & for me, it was an even more painful loss than the Monday Night collapse to the Bears.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
That Bears game tore me apart. I can't imagine something more painful. But, w/o that loss would Denny have hung on another year? and cost us a SB appearance?.
Who knows.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That Bears game tore me apart. I can't imagine something more painful. But, w/o that loss would Denny have hung on another year? and cost us a SB appearance?.
Who knows.
Probably not. We were 1-4 going into that game, so it’s not like we were lighting it up. Pretty sure we ended up 5-11, and almost every season under him we we only managed 4-6 wins. Like the Bears game, we consistently couldn’t finish under Denny.

OP
OP
TheCardFan

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media