A Very Good Question

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I got an email from a newspaper guy asking the following. If the Cards lose their last 2 games, do I believe Kingsbury will be fired? I‘ve already indicated on the board I would fire the entire staff. However, I believe they will retain Kingsbury. In my mind the only way things might get better in that eventuality is if they mandated changes. Maybe if they required hiring an Offensive Coordinator and a QB coach that might fix the offense if Murray accepts changing. Finally they’d need to fire Joseph. I do not see those changes happening, but sadly I believe Kingsbury stays. The Cards will be so thrilled about making the playoffs, nothing else will matter. Plus if they fired the coach then didn’t make the playoffs, the blowback would be unreal.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It depend on the losses
If u see the garbage we saw in the last two games it should raise some concern on Bidwill if kk is the right coach
Then we know he doesn't like to pay 2 coaching staff, so he will fire some of the coaches (vj?)
I think beside finishing bad the season, Bidwill is going to be extremely happy to be back in the playoff

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I got an email from a newspaper guy asking the following. If the Cards lose their last 2 games, do I believe Kingsbury will be fired? I‘ve already indicated on the board I would fire the entire staff. However, I believe they will retain Kingsbury. In my mind the only way things might get better in that eventuality is if they mandated changes. Maybe if they required hiring an Offensive Coordinator and a QB coach that might fix the offense if Murray accepts changing. Finally they’d need to fire Joseph. I do not see those changes happening, but sadly I believe Kingsbury stays. The Cards will be so thrilled about making the playoffs, nothing else will matter. Plus if they fired the coach then didn’t make the playoffs, the blowback would be unreal.
I was furious when they brought back the staff last year, but was pleasantly surprised at the beginning of the year with the start. Kliff appeared to clean up most of his mistakes, showed some fire, and actually out coached our opponents in many games. I honestly thought we had a super bowl caliber team.

I should have trusted what I've seen. When Kyler isn't playing like an MVP, this team shows a lot of holes. The last 8 games are clearly much more what this team is, and anyone expecting the team of the first 7 games to show up is probably going to be disappointed come playoff time. Legit contenders get better as the season goes on - we get false starts in our own dome, and can't rely on any unit to consistently perform.

If they flame out and lose in the first round of the playoffs, and the decision is to retain KK and run it back, I'll be incredibly disappointed. It would be the definition of insanity.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Now that we are in the playoffs, I think it's almost 100 percent KK stays. There is the idea that KK and KM are linked...but it's never been true. Kliff has chased Kyler around like a hungry puppy since KM was in high school, and it has never never been reciprocated until we drafted Kyler and he had no real choice. Kyler would be better with a better coach.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I was furious when they brought back the staff last year, but was pleasantly surprised at the beginning of the year with the start. Kliff appeared to clean up most of his mistakes, showed some fire, and actually out coached our opponents in many games. I honestly thought we had a super bowl caliber team.

I should have trusted what I've seen. When Kyler isn't playing like an MVP, this team shows a lot of holes. The last 8 games are clearly much more what this team is, and anyone expecting the team of the first 7 games to show up is probably going to be disappointed come playoff time. Legit contenders get better as the season goes on - we get false starts in our own dome, and can't rely on any unit to consistently perform.

If they flame out and lose in the first round of the playoffs, and the decision is to retain KK and run it back, I'll be incredibly disappointed. It would be the definition of insanity.
this is probably where I'm at.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't like to fire coaches.

However, 2 exceptions:

Wilkes had the imagination of a door-knob.

KK has the intelligence of a doorknob.

Both profoundly effected team culture in a negative way (not that culture is not important).

Result: Dumb teams; one of which has been criminally sloppy.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think there is any chance they fire him no matter how badly the season ends out. He is going to get at least one more season just due to the start we got off to.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cardinals are entering a death spiral with KK and Keim returning. Lack of game changing talent on defense, about to pay KM about 150 million guaranteed, average OL, OK WR group. Things are about to get so bad; this year will look like oasis 5 years from now.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We continue to play the way we are changes will occur. I believe KK will stay. Joseph will go and possible changes to offense coaching staff. I just don’t believe a total collapse will be ignored.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
KK has the intelligence of a doorknob.

Result: Dumb teams; one of which has been criminally sloppy.
Our teams aren't sloppy because Kliff is dumb, they're sloppy because Kliff doesn't demand excellence. It's not just about coming up with a good gameplan. That helps, but that's only part of what you're paid to do. Kliff needs to find what makes the entire team burn, and that starts with his QB. If he can't take this team to the next level, time to try something new.

Do you think any top coach would put up with the amount of stupid penalties, miscommunications, lack of continuity? The season gets harder as the year goes on, and that's where our lack of focus and discipline is exposed.

Not to get all local, but the frustration of watching the Cards reminds me much of watching ASU football. Same stupid mistakes, same stagnation, same lack of communication all around.

You watch a team like the Suns and everyone knows exactly where they should be and when. They have a system. They have an identity. The Cardinals have no system and no identity. The Cards were committed to the run and D early in the year, but that has been completely abandoned. Now it's a lot of sideways passes and Kyler throwing into tight zones.

KK isn't dumb, but there are plenty of people who are better suited as head coaches in the NFL.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our teams aren't sloppy because Kliff is dumb, they're sloppy because Kliff doesn't demand excellence. It's not just about coming up with a good gameplan. That helps, but that's only part of what you're paid to do. Kliff needs to find what makes the entire team burn, and that starts with his QB. If he can't take this team to the next level, time to try something new.

Do you think any top coach would put up with the amount of stupid penalties, miscommunications, lack of continuity? The season gets harder as the year goes on, and that's where our lack of focus and discipline is exposed.

Not to get all local, but the frustration of watching the Cards reminds me much of watching ASU football. Same stupid mistakes, same stagnation, same lack of communication all around.

You watch a team like the Suns and everyone knows exactly where they should be and when. They have a system. They have an identity. The Cardinals have no system and no identity. The Cards were committed to the run and D early in the year, but that has been completely abandoned. Now it's a lot of sideways passes and Kyler throwing into tight zones.

KK isn't dumb, but there are plenty of people who are better suited as head coaches in the NFL.
Well, Andy Reid, John Harbaugh, Sean McDermott, Mike Vrabel’s teams have just as much, if not, more penalties than this team. So the answer is probably yea.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Well, Andy Reid, John Harbaugh, Sean McDermott, Mike Vrabel’s teams have just as much, if not, more penalties than this team. So the answer is probably yea.
Ha, wrong.

Are you seriously trying to compare KK to those coaches?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ha, wrong.

Are you seriously trying to compare KK to those coaches?
The Bills have more penalties than we do while the Ravens, Titans, & Chiefs have less, but not by much.

You implied that if we had a top coach, we wouldn’t have so many penalties & misfirings, which, by that chart, isn’t true at all. I’m not comparing Kliff to them & you know I wasn’t. I think it’s a player problem just as much as it is a HC problem.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The Bills have more penalties than we do while the Ravens, Titans, & Chiefs have less, but not by much.

You implied that if we had a top coach, we wouldn’t have so many penalties & misfirings, which, by that chart, isn’t true at all. I’m not comparing Kliff to them & you know I wasn’t. I think it’s a player problem just as much as it is a HC problem.
And I didn't insinuate that the penalties were the whole problem, only part of many problems. You focused on that, and your data was wrong.

If you want to focus on total penalties, there IS a relationship between the top teams and their penalties. Most top teams are on the bottom half in terms of penalties.

The problems of the Cards aren't all because of penalties, but they are a symptom of the lack of discipline and control overall.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And I didn't insinuate that the penalties were the whole problem, only part of many problems. You focused on that, and your data was wrong.

If you want to focus on total penalties, there IS a relationship between the top teams and their penalties. Most top teams are on the bottom half in terms of penalties.

The problems of the Cards aren't all because of penalties, but they are a symptom of the lack of discipline and control overall.
I know you didn’t, that’s why I bolded what you typed & what I focused on my guy, lol. Nothing more, nothing less. I don’t disagree with the rest of your statement.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I know you didn’t, that’s why I bolded what you typed & what I focused on my guy, lol. Nothing more, nothing less. I don’t disagree with the rest of your statement.
It's all good, didn't mean to jump on you. This team can drive me to some serious frustration!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Now that we are in the playoffs, I think it's almost 100 percent KK stays. There is the idea that KK and KM are linked...but it's never been true. Kliff has chased Kyler around like a hungry puppy since KM was in high school, and it has never never been reciprocated until we drafted Kyler and he had no real choice. Kyler would be better with a better coach.

There’s no evidence of this.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Kliff isn't going anywhere. He won 2 of 3 with Colt McCoy.

Neither is Keim. Bidwill won't do it after a playoff run.

Vance is the only option for a fall guy. The defense is faltering and he isn't playing high round picks.
This is what it ultimately comes down to. But I’m skeptical even vance goes.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Looks like 2 years in a row the Cards are going to finish 2-5 their last 7 games.

Ask any coach and they want to be playing their best in December/January.
That’s a sign of bad coaching.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
The good news: no extension for K2. The bad news: a second half Cardinal fade in 2022

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
There is no doubt in my mind that the entire coaching staff stays put in AZ for 2022. It's just the way Mike and Steve operate. They will look at getting into the playoffs as a positive even with if the team loses out to end the season.