Cardinals @ Lions postgame thread

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no one thing to blame.
*Our first play call was passive. It should have been Conner of tackle, bloody their mouths a set the tone.
*3 or 4 personal fouls.
*Dropped passes.
*Lack of a commitment to stop the run.
*Going for it on 4th down when we should have kicked a fg.
*Kicked a fg when we should have went for it.
*Kyler missing wide open receivers.
*huge turnover right after forcing a turnover where we could have made it 17-10. Kyler throws late and Green flattens his route instead of working back.
*going for 2 points when and extra point makes it a two td game.
*play calling

We need to regroup. Every team has gone through lulls in their season. Rams lost 3 straight. Bucs lost 2 sandwiched around their bye. The 49ers lost 4 straight.

The real question is does this team have the fortitude to punch adversity in the face.

Leadership? Well we’ll see.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Mine will always be Floyd over DeCastro. A truly indefensible choice IMO.

Wirfs wasn't "this" at Iowa. Heck, Wills and Becton went after us but before him. You cant even be sure we ever graded him that high. Simmons was the college DPOY and clearly the higher graded player by everyone. And I don't know anyone who had Wirfs over Wills, Becton, Simmons, Thomas or Lamb.

And the word is we would have drafted Brown if he was there, so I'd get over it personally.
Wirfs was awesome at Iowa. You have no idea what you are talking about on that.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Strength of the Lions is their defensive front. If we need to go away from our franchise QB vs the one win Lions, he isn't a franchise QB.
Or how about a healthy Rodney Hudson who didn’t play the last two games and why dlinemen is punishing our lineman??

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Strength of the Lions is their defensive front. If we need to go away from our franchise QB vs the one win Lions, he isn't a franchise QB.

Hate to argue with you, but coming into the game the lions were 5th worst in the league vs. the run giving up 133 ypg. They were 9th worst in the league vs. the pass. 247.5 per game.

K1 stunk up the field the field today, no doubt about it, but I don't think Kliff called a great game today Chopper.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What I will say with Simmons vs Parsons is that Parson is being used as an attacking player who can use his speed and length to make plays. Simmons is in an overly complex scheme and being asked to play backwards as much as he is asked to play forward. The blame is with Vance. PLease don't kid yourself otherwise.

TheCardinal

Veteran
Reaction score
Have updated clinching scenarios in Playoff Thread. Following the SF win, we would need:

NO loss + MIN loss

OR

GB win + NO loss + PHI loss

Also some scenarios involving ties.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have updated clinching scenarios in Playoff Thread. Following the SF win, we would need:

NO loss + MIN loss

OR

GB win + NO loss + PHI loss

Also some scenarios involving ties.
We are going to the playoffs. But we are not on the track you want to be on. The good news is we have 3 weeks to get this right.
Go back and look at 2008. We lost 4 out of our last 6 and got slaughtered by the Patriots…. Then made it to the Super Bowl.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Wirfs was awesome at Iowa. You have no idea what you are talking about on that.
I know exactly what I am talking about. I watched him alot. He was still the (at best) 3rd rated OT in the draft and possibly the 4th depending on the draft room. He has exceeded his projection and I am comfortable saying that.

I wanted Thomas or Wills. Krang wanted Becton bad. It's a crap shoot and you know it.

With that being said, IS was the clear choice IMO over any of em. That's what makes it a crap shoot.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Does anybody in the media ask Vance Joseph why Markus Golden and Kennard are covering the same WR on a play? They are both pass rushers. I can't remember any other teams doing things this stupid. Last year, we needed a win over the 49ers and they sealed it with a throw to the RB who Chandler Jones dropped back to cover.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Does anybody in the media ask Vance Joseph why Markus Golden and Kennard are covering the same WR on a play? They are both pass rushers. I can't remember any other teams doing things this stupid. Last year, we needed a win over the 49ers and they sealed it with a throw to the RB who Chandler Jones dropped back to cover.
Lawrence was covering a TE or RB on the little of the field like 12 yards deep on one memorable third down conversion.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. If ya can't handle the twitter heat....get off Twitter.

There is no one thing to blame.
*Our first play call was passive. It should have been Conner of tackle, bloody their mouths a set the tone.
*3 or 4 personal fouls.
*Dropped passes.
*Lack of a commitment to stop the run.
*Going for it on 4th down when we should have kicked a fg.
*Kicked a fg when we should have went for it.
*Kyler missing wide open receivers.
*huge turnover right after forcing a turnover where we could have made it 17-10. Kyler throws late and Green flattens his route instead of working back.
*going for 2 points when and extra point makes it a two td game.
*play calling

We need to regroup. Every team has gone through lulls in their season. Rams lost 3 straight. Bucs lost 2 sandwiched around their bye. The 49ers lost 4 straight.

The real question is does this team have the fortitude to punch adversity in the face.

Leadership? Well we’ll see.
I keep thinking about the first two times Detroit had the ball. 1st play, sack. 2nd and 14, 9 yard line. 3rd, first down catch right on the sticks.

2nd possession Simmons drops INT inside red zone.

Two great chances to get them right off the field. Instead the start of two LONG drives that put the game in their control.

When we didn't take the FG at the end of the 1st half, I told my wife "here comes a 97 yard scoring drive."

Bad, bad game. I seen us play much much worse over the years but those were terrible teams. Not 10-3 record.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are zone blitz calls by our defense. Instead of a back or a TE, the lions had 14 in that position instead. Goff knew what we were going to do and audibles to a perfect play call and match up. So, when that happens, you had better get to the damn QB in a hurry and we didn't.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I will say with Simmons vs Parsons is that Parson is being used as an attacking player who can use his speed and length to make plays. Simmons is in an overly complex scheme and being asked to play backwards as much as he is asked to play forward. The blame is with Vance. PLease don't kid yourself otherwise.
While I agree this scheme does Simmons no favors, it didn’t make him drop an interception or blow an EASY sack on a play that then went for a TD.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison