The Ayton Plan

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't give a **** what he "qualifies" for.

Until he starts playing as good as he talks I honestly don't care anymore. Why give a Max contract to someone whos numbers can be replicated by Javale McGee or Frank Kaminski?
And yes I just said that, give Frank the Tank 30 min a game and I bet the farm he beats Aytons numbers NP.

Its time to put up or shut up. Earn your contract or be soft and tall.
I'm done with this ****.

This message brought to you by Vodka and Banana Hammock platinum flower. Ill be ok
I don't think Frank is able to do that, and I like Frank. Also, Frank is not as good a defender as Ayton.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A week goes by, still no Ayton in the court. I think he’s silently boycotting Sarver. I think the lack of extension and the alleged and backtracked comments from Jalen Rose made him sit.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And the suns surging without him is his worst nightmare. Don’t get me wrong - for this team to maximize their opportunity they need him back at a high level. But them going on a streak while he sits shows how much he’s not maybe “needed.” Makes him much more readable from a suns perspective.

And if Ayton ends up with a dysfunctional franchise I think we can kiss him goodbye into anonymity. I think his mental fragility will cause him to crumble. And then he ain’t getting anything close to the big contract he seeks. His best bet is to ball out with suns upon his return to get the best contract possible to remain with a top coach with talented teammates.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the suns surging without him is his worst nightmare. Don’t get me wrong - for this team to maximize their opportunity they need him back at a high level. But them going on a streak while he sits shows how much he’s not maybe “needed.” Makes him much more readable from a suns perspective.

And if Ayton ends up with a dysfunctional franchise I think we can kiss him goodbye into anonymity. I think his mental fragility will cause him to crumble. And then he ain’t getting anything close to the big contract he seeks. His best bet is to ball out with suns upon his return to get the best contract possible to remain with a top coach with talented teammates.

Paul can make almost any center diving to the basket look good.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
He disappears more than Houdini, and he's typically softer than Charmin.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pure conjecture but the thought occurred to me Ayton might have quietly asked for a trade.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way Ayton’s agent worked during contract negotiations implies we would have heard about it already if such a request was made.
I think they'd do whatever they felt was in the clients best interest, I'm not sure going public with a trade demand is best for Ayton. Once it's out there that the player is disgruntled enough to demand a trade, it seems to reduce options even if sometimes it hastens the move.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they'd do whatever they felt was in the clients best interest, I'm not sure going public with a trade demand is best for Ayton. Once it's out there that the player is disgruntled enough to demand a trade, it seems to reduce options even if sometimes it hastens the move.

If a trade request were to be made, all they would have to do is look around the league and see how going public has worked for other players.

Ben Simmons is in a very difficult situation as is Kyrie Irving.

Ayton and his agent want a big dollar contract when he hits restricted free agency. They don't want to lower his value. I think Ayton is better off playing for the Suns unless the right team comes along. The Suns can pay him the most money.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton's agents didn't come out about extension talks until about 2 weeks or so until the deadline. I can't see them publicly demanding a trade quickly either. That is usually done after talking with the front office before hand and seeing if they'll move them without going public.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Is it any worse than the team looking overly cautious for a guy who just had a “sore” knee?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A player who publicly demands a trade and has a leg contusion has less value than a player who quietly asks for a trade with a leg contusion.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Can we give the guy a few days to potentially get healed up before we start assuming it is sitting out or demanding a trade? I mean I understand the possibility, but that's all it is right now.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul can make almost any center diving to the basket look good.
This. However, they are doing other things well. Not just rolling to the hoop for jams after an assist from Paul. They have been downright impressive in almost every way.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. However, they are doing other things well. Not just rolling to the hoop for jams after an assist from Paul. They have been downright impressive in almost every way.

No doubt McGee and Kaminsky have done an admirable job while Ayton has been out. Suns need to keep Frank in the mix. Maybe they can give him some minutes at power forward when Ayton returns although his best position is center.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Remember when Baynes played so well while Ayton was suspended? He still was not any long term answer. Neither is Kaminsky or McGee. They are great insurance for a time such as this. But Ayton is our center.

And he is going to be for another 4 and a half years, I am pretty well convinced. He is not going to sign for the vet minimum. He has enough friends on this team that will tell him how stupid that would be--just ask players like Nerlens Noel and Schroeder how choices like that are working out for them. The Suns will offer the four year max at the beginning of free agency, which is what they wanted to offer anyway, and it will be done.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember when Baynes played so well while Ayton was suspended? He still was not any long term answer. Neither is Kaminsky or McGee. They are great insurance for a time such as this. But Ayton is our center.

And he is going to be for another 4 and a half years, I am pretty well convinced. He is not going to sign for the vet minimum. He has enough friends on this team that will tell him how stupid that would be--just ask players like Nerlens Noel and Schroeder how choices like that are working out for them. The Suns will offer the four year max at the beginning of free agency, which is what they wanted to offer anyway, and it will be done.

There’s nothing to suggest they wanted to offer him any kind of max.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There’s nothing to suggest they wanted to offer him any kind of max.
Suns general manager James Jones told The Athletic's Sam Amick that Phoenix was open to discussing a three- or four-year max contract, but the two sides didn't have any "real negotiations." Ayton's agents, Bill Duffy and Nima Namakian, claimed that the Suns never offered a max deal of any kind.

"I mean, obviously, we're disappointed that we couldn't reach an extension agreement this offseason," Jones said. "Deandre is important for us. He means a lot to us and was vital in what we did and what we've done this past season."

Reaction score
Just a reminder, the Suns tried multiple times to turn college centers, who just couldn't hack center in the NBA, into power forwards---Shumate, Perry, for ex.
They were better off when they had a weaker (but good shooting) center like Adams and put power forwards around him. Probably the only thing the late 80s early 90s team lacked was a solid center.

It's been an issue since the Alcindor coin flip.