Midnight Mass (Netflix)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else watching this? Mike Flanagan’s new horror(ish) limited series on Netflix. It is all kinds of moody, weird, fracked up. A deep dive into religion, devotion, grief. If you liked Haunting Of Hill House or Gerald’s Game or the parts of the Shining sequel that were good (basically everything outside of the allusions to the Shining movie), I highly recommend.

Just finished episode 5... just messed up in all the best ways.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, my wife loves watching this stuff in October so we'll be checking it out.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finished the series last night. LOVED it. Now I feel like I have to watch Mike Flanagan’s other Netflix horror series.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s been a while since I got REALLY hypnotized by a show like this. Last one was probably Queen’s Gambit. Totally different obviously, but completely sucked in from the start on both.

We finished this last night. Extremely well done, but probably one of the most disturbing shows I have watched in a long time. Had a couple of moments where my wife and I literally jumped in our seats and yelled. Lots of fun!

This also helped me develop a new fear of communities on small islands. I am sure there are other examples in film and real life, but having a group of people living off by themselves in an isolated area...really bad things can happen!!!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It was okay. Some really cool moments, some really awfully-written scenes, and, Jesus, can we do anything but
Vampires
these days.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
It’s been a while since I got REALLY hypnotized by a show like this. Last one was probably Queen’s Gambit. Totally different obviously, but completely sucked in from the start on both.
Started this one recently. I get exactly what you're saying with your comparison to Queen's Gambit. Completely different show of course, but the pacing and mood is similar. Hypnotized is a great way to put it.

Also, it's great to see Zach Gilford again. Haven't seen him since Friday Night Lights. Loved him in that.

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We finished this last night. Extremely well done, but probably one of the most disturbing shows I have watched in a long time. Had a couple of moments where my wife and I literally jumped in our seats and yelled. Lots of fun!

This also helped me develop a new fear of communities on small islands. I am sure there are other examples in film and real life, but having a group of people living off by themselves in an isolated area...really bad things can happen!!!
The one with Jude Law on the island is creepy too. Islands small community on are creepy.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Finished episode 4
Messed up but I like it.

The priest’s housekeeper scares the **** out of me. Reminds me of he priest’s housekeeper in my grandmother village and she was kinda creepy crazy too.

Ya, she is horrible. If you think its messed up now, hang in there, it could get worse.

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That church scene ! Where is Buffy when you need her ?

Those long monologues are a little annoying but the snow is great !

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That church scene ! Where is Buffy when you need her ?

Those long monologues are a little annoying but the snow is great !
Those long monologues were abysmal. There was stuff to like, there was stuff to dislike. It grew boring in parts. Such a very cliched "bad guy" but at least with a good spin. I think it's one-time viewing for me.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those long monologues were abysmal. There was stuff to like, there was stuff to dislike. It grew boring in parts. Such a very cliched "bad guy" but at least with a good spin. I think it's one-time viewing for me.
I thought it was perfect, but then again I was raised Catholic. You just described every mass, IMHO.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching this and I thought it was terrific. Even my wife, who usually refuses to watch any type of horror, really liked it too. Some GREAT acting I thought. Especially Riley and Pruitt.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Binged it over 3 days. What a ride. If this doesn’t warn you if the dangers of organized religion I don’t know what does.

Best villain since Nurse Ratched. Very Lady MacBeth and terrifying.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose