WK 7-Houston Texans @ Arizona Cardinals Pre Game Thread Oct 18-Oct 24, 2021

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Vance Joseph on Cardinals’ COVID issues: I think everyone is nervous

The Cardinals didn’t have head coach Kliff Kingsbury or quarterbacks coach Cam Turner. They didn’t have edge rusher Chandler Jones or defensive tackle Zach Allen. They lost Corey Peters to a positive COVID-19 test Sunday morning. Even General Manager Steve Keim stayed home while recovering from the virus.

The Cardinals, though, didn’t let COVID-19 or the Browns stand in their way Sunday.

Defensive coordinator Vance Joseph, who shared head-coaching responsibilities with assistant head coach and special teams coordinator Jeff Rodgers in Kingsbury’s absence, admitted it was a “rough week.”

The Cardinals were prepared when Peters’ test came back positive the day of the game. Kenny Bell, the assistant to the head coach, suggested the team travel with an extra defensive lineman in case Allen’s positive test led to other defensive linemen testing positive. Practice squad defensive lineman Jonathan Ledbetter made the trip and was elevated to the active roster as a COVID-19 replacement.

Joseph said he was unsure how Peters would get back to Arizona but said Peters was “in good spirits and he is happy for the team.”

The Cardinals have had 20 players placed on the COVID-19 reserve list this year, along with four coaches and three staff members. They remain concerned that, even with enhanced protocols in place, the spread of COVID-19 might not be curtailed.

“I think everyone is nervous about the COVID issues,” Joseph said, via Josh Weinfuss of ESPN. “It is a moving target. Obviously, if you have one positive, there can be two or three more. I’m surprised there weren’t more. Right now it’s a moving target. We’ll see what the league gives us this week as far as protocols.

“It speaks to our young guys and our reserve players who can step up and play for us. Everyone is dealing with this. We had our bad stint right now, but it’s not going away.”

Cardinals owner Michael Bidwill called Kingsbury on FaceTime after the win, and Weinfuss reports Kingsbury is asymptomatic.

“He is fine,” Joseph said. “He is happy obviously and he is at home recovering.”

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I have a feeling D-Hop will be chirping in Kylers ear all week "I'll be open, even if I'm not.... I'll be open!" Lol I can also see Watt getting a few sacks

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

While Im glad his attempts are down his production is pretty bad (for him). So there's still another level this team can go if we get better blocking on some of these Kyler runs and he doesnt run hesitant (some of the sacks could have been avoided as well)

Dont confuse what Im saying. I hope he runs less, but once his few runs become more effective it could get scary.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

While Im glad his attempts are down his production is pretty bad (for him). So there's still another level this team can go if we get better blocking on some of these Kyler runs and he doesnt run hesitant (some of the sacks could have been avoided as well)

Dont confuse what Im saying. I hope he runs less, but once his few runs become more effective it could get scary.

This is great news.

One, I want him protected as much as possible when he is throwing like this. And two, if we can win like this without his legs we still have another tool in the drawer to use if we need it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does anyone think JJ Watt/DHop is gonna let this team have a letdown against the Texans? That team of all Teams bad or not?

We win for sure.

I just don;t think with the Thursday night game (and possible covid issues) that it's a stomping. Say, 24-10.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just have a feeling that Chase Edmonds is playing hurt. I know he has missed practices, but not games. And he has had the ball punched out (I know other non-Cardinals) have as well. But coming into this season, I never saw that with CE. If that is the case, I hope we play Ward this week. If I'm wrong, just forget it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Combination of how they defend him and IMO the long runs Kyler has popped in the past he's throwing the ball instead, or just sliding down. He had a play yesterday where he stepped up started to run then stopped and winged it to Kirk for a first down over the middle. First 2 years he runs that for sure. So the YPC is way down but I think it's largely because he's throwing instead of running on plays he used to get 10 yards running.

Also remember he lost a rushing TD yesterday to a hold, he actually slowed up too fast and had to accelerate to get in but he's still a great runner IMO he just doesn't need to run as much this year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just have a feeling that Chase Edmonds is playing hurt. I know he has missed practices, but not games. And he has had the ball punched out (I know other non-Cardinals) have as well. But coming into this season, I never saw that with CE. If that is the case, I hope we play Ward this week. If I'm wrong, just forget it.

Also that's 2 long runs now where he not just got caught but caught much faster than I thought he would. I think the shoulder is bothering him and it probably impacts him when he runs.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
dangerous game, i hope they dont come out flat because its "only the texans". Luckily JJ and D Hop will remind everyone the importance this game means to them and to keep pushing.

In a perfect world, you crush them early and often, and can rest starters for the short week after

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose