OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I wanted to buy more doge but it takes forever to move money into my trading account and im missing that doge action. Still holding those shares I bought at about .07 though

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$coin seems like a ship that should sink year over year as they have to adjust their fees to match those of the big dogs when they start allowing coin trading. I dunno. I dont see the hype.

.46% fee on trades.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Holy hell Dogecoin is taking off. I'm up over 250% in my cryptos.

I dropped $500 of ETH in July 2018 and it's at $2500 now.

I bought $1000 of Dogecoin in March and it's up over $3K now.

Jack in the Box is up by almost a factor of 7 since its low just over a year ago (16.81 on 3/18/20, 116.35 now). It happens.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mentioned this before it's another reason bitcoin scares me, and I admit it's largely I just don't understand it

https://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-owners-without-wallet-password-watch-prices-rise-2021-1

"Around 20% of the existing 18.5 million Bitcoin — worth a total of $140 billion – are in stranded wallets, according to the cryptocurrency data firm Chainalysis, The New York Times reported on Tuesday. "

I think one guy had 220 million and no password, I believe his is worth close to 700 million now.

If you read the article or the NY Times one(paywall) it explains that you get 10 guesses and then are locked out for good. So there are apparently quite a few people who have used most of their 10 guesses and are in limbo, they have millions of dollars in value locked in there they can't get out without the password, and no central entity to contact and get help. A nephew of mine has a co worker who has something like 400K locked up and he works in IT, swears on a stack of bibles he has the right password, and the wallet won't accept it. he said the guy used some high tech password maintenance app and he's had high level conversations with them and they 100% assure him that what the app says is the password is what he entered into it, so if the wallet isn't taking it you either changed it or something is wrong. The nephew has it too I have no idea how much his is worth, he has his password still and he told me he now uses it more than once a week just to make sure after his co worker got locked out.

It's the digital equivalent of losing a winning lottery ticket

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mentioned this before it's another reason bitcoin scares me, and I admit it's largely I just don't understand it

https://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-owners-without-wallet-password-watch-prices-rise-2021-1

"Around 20% of the existing 18.5 million Bitcoin — worth a total of $140 billion – are in stranded wallets, according to the cryptocurrency data firm Chainalysis, The New York Times reported on Tuesday. "

I think one guy had 220 million and no password, I believe his is worth close to 700 million now.

If you read the article or the NY Times one(paywall) it explains that you get 10 guesses and then are locked out for good. So there are apparently quite a few people who have used most of their 10 guesses and are in limbo, they have millions of dollars in value locked in there they can't get out without the password, and no central entity to contact and get help. A nephew of mine has a co worker who has something like 400K locked up and he works in IT, swears on a stack of bibles he has the right password, and the wallet won't accept it. he said the guy used some high tech password maintenance app and he's had high level conversations with them and they 100% assure him that what the app says is the password is what he entered into it, so if the wallet isn't taking it you either changed it or something is wrong. The nephew has it too I have no idea how much his is worth, he has his password still and he told me he now uses it more than once a week just to make sure after his co worker got locked out.

I think his is worth about 440 million now and his problem is he used an ironkey external hard drive, basically an encrypted USB stick to hold his digital wallet. He's used 8 guesses, if he gets to 10, the thing digitally self destructs. in March he was contemplating some new high tech recover by force method that would run millions of possible passwords through it and they "hoped" the device would not detect it so it didn't count the first 2 as attempts and lock him out. I can't actually find if he tried it or not but apparently he's still locked out near as I can tell.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

people losing their keys is good for the currency. makes it more rare. Dude likely made a mistake. if you own a good amount of BTC, you should have the password in several locations and triple check it when copying it for accuracy. Especially knowing about these items.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I paperhanded half my dogecoin at $.28 because it didnt seem sustainable. oops.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
people losing their keys is good for the currency. makes it more rare. Dude likely made a mistake. if you own a good amount of BTC, you should have the password in several locations and triple check it when copying it for accuracy. Especially knowing about these items.

Oh I know that I think one of the articles I linked actually says one of the oddities of Bitcoin is people losing keys to it actually makes it more valuable.

In this case the programmer is convinced he has the password and his device just won't take it. there's been mention of him even considering suing them but he went to them for help cracking it and their conclusion was near as they can tell their device is working correctly, if it's not taking his password it's because the password is incorrect.

We had a mini version of this at a prior employer we had a fancy digital safe that's required for storing government documents. They changed the policy so that you had to change the password frequently, I think it was every 6 months. My boss did it one time and the next time he went to use it, he couldn't open it. Either he'd written the password down incorrectly or he'd entered it incorrectly we didn't know. In the end he guessed passwords close to it and lucked out I think 3rd guess worked. After he got in we had to send the device to the manufacturer to be serviced just in case it was a malfunction of the safe not him entering the wrong code. This was documentation vital to the company inside but not 440 million worth. We realized then the downside to such a secure device, if you can't get in you're screwed.

I realize it's not the fault of Bitcoin but the reason people go to the lengths he went to in trying to secure their bitcoin is they're afraid of someone hacking and stealing it. But it's created a side business there are apparently multiple companies who try and hack your password for you if you forget it and are unable to get to your bitcoin.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is where my bitcoins will go into a hard wallet flash drive hidden for safe keeping, not in a digital drive.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty big news with China banning all crypto transactions. I'm surprised Bitcoin did not fall much further.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A concern of mine about crypto is governments like China buying a **** ton and controlling the currency. I like this news.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A concern of mine about crypto is governments like China buying a **** ton and controlling the currency. I like this news.
Unless they announced this to get the price to drop across the board then buy enough to control.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless they announced this to get the price to drop across the board then buy enough to control.
I mean, they could choose to do that at whatever price. It did not do much to the price TBH

I bet you the US already has a significant holding in BTC.

You must be registered for see images attach

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure. China has been cracking down on extreme wealth/profit and they fear that the decentralized nature of Bitcoin will lead to greater wealth disparity, hiding of wealth, and loss of control of their monetary policy. I always thought crypto would have problems once it became a threat to centralized banks and its no surprise that the most authoritarian world power sees crypto as a threat to their total power.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We still have ZERO idea of how this reacts in a risk off environment... So this is a precarious time to be in the ole digital coinage. But this next eventual downturn will be able to help decipher it's true value.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We still have ZERO idea of how this reacts in a risk off environment... So this is a precarious time to be in the ole digital coinage. But this next eventual downturn will be able to help decipher it's true value.

Whatever happens you can be assured crypto bulls will claim it's good for crypto.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Whatever happens you can be assured crypto bulls will claim it's good for crypto.
Hopefully it's good for crypto. I just got on Thursday a recruitment email from one of the crypto apps to go work on it. I'm going to talk to them this week about it because the company sounded interesting. :)

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its nice when you become a long term investor and these red wedding days are irrelevant.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know a lot of institutional investors were moving into crypto last year and wealth management advisors were starting to develop ways to get their clients exposure. Two massive crashes in the last 6 months or so has got to be cooling institutional money and corporate adoption. Do institutions buy low or do they scrap their plans.

It's not a currency, inflation hedge, market hedge, or store of value. What is it?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose