Question about the first time outs.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Just rewatching the game tonight and I didnt understand why the refs didnt allow Murray to start the play but still allowed the clock to stick down? I know they stand in front of the QB or center to let the other team sub in but it doesnt make sense to me how they can do that and the play clock runs out?

That's the reason KK had to call the first 2 time outs, as the ref stood in front of Murray and the play clock was down to like 2 seconds each time. I don't understand why they do that or can do that. Anyone know what's up with that?

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
It’s because they keep making offensive substitutions as the play clock is winding and rules state they have to allow defense to sub in, if they choose to. I don’t believe there are any rules dictating how long the defensive sub has to reach his side of the field. It’s mismanagement by Kliff and it happened several times last season.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe @LoyaltyisaCurse is correct.

My understanding is that it was because the Cards bench made late offensive substitutions and the defense are allowed "reasonable time" to make corresponding changes.

Reasonable time is vague but I'm guessing 12-15 seconds is allowed and the ref will stand over the ball until that's up.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone in another thread mentioned Vrabel's shrewdness in game rule understanding. Undoubtedly, he slowed down the substitution as long as he could to force the delay of game and/or timeout called.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I believe @LoyaltyisaCurse is correct.

My understanding is that it was because the Cards bench made late offensive substitutions and the defense are allowed "reasonable time" to make corresponding changes.

Reasonable time is vague but I'm guessing 12-15 seconds is allowed and the ref will stand over the ball until that's up.

If I recall, however, there was one sequence where the CARDS didn't make a substitution, and they still delayed allowing the TITANS to make a change, and that's when KK lost it.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Someone in another thread mentioned Vrabel's shrewdness in game rule understanding. Undoubtedly, he slowed down the substitution as long as he could to force the delay of game and/or timeout called.
no question and he picked it up from the Pats last year

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Last year, I believe Vrabel purposely had too many people on the field to stop the clock. I recall the player acted as he was hurt. were out of timeouts so he took the penalty. Then you see the same player laughing on the sidelines. Remember Vrabel comes from the Belichick coaching tree.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kliff should consider employing a Substitution Coordinator on the sidelines and/or require offensive players to be in a certain spot when the offense is on the field. I don't know why all fast paced offenses don't do this.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kliff should consider employing a Substitution Coordinator on the sidelines and/or require offensive players to be in a certain spot when the offense is on the field. I don't know why all fast paced offenses don't do this.

That's a responsibility handled by the coordinators in conjunction with position coaches.