Suns free agency recap and going forward

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the radio today they said we can use a couple two way contracts. Our Summer League team is stacked with euro talent that could be two way contract type guys. Jaleen Smith just won euro mvp in the German basketball league. Might be interesting at the guard spot.

Yeah, Jaleen Smith might be just such a candidate.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little disappointed we are bringing Frank back. I would have liked Baynes instead. Baynes can block the lane and make anyone who drives on him feel it. He will also retaliate. Frank has not shown a willingness to do that. We could use Baynes' toughness.
I think you're being unduly influenced by the way Baynes played the first half of his season with us. He was a pleasant suprise for us but since then he's been almost unplayable. Frank is a better player today than Aron is and it really isn't that close.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the way the Suns roster looks right now:

PG: Chris Paul, Cam Payne
SG: Devin Booker, Landry Shamet
SF: Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Abdel Nader
PF: Jae Crowder, , Jalen Smith, Dario Saric (out)
C: Deandre Ayton, JaVale McGee, Frank Kaminsky

I'm still counting Dario Saric at least until the Suns get a DPE for him. That's 13 players by my count.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dario wasn't the difference. In fact, Dario struggles against the type of athleticism the Bucks had in spades. He wouldn't have been able to keep anybody in front of him. Don't get me wrong he could have helped but he was not the difference is losing 4 entire
Here is the way the Suns roster looks right now:

PG: Chris Paul, Cam Payne
SG: Devin Booker, Landry Shamet
SF: Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Abdel Nader
PF: Jae Crowder, , Jalen Smith, Dario Saric (out)
C: Deandre Ayton, JaVale McGee, Frank Kaminsky

I'm still counting Dario Saric at least until the Suns get a DPE for him. That's 13 players by my count.

its a shame Dario tore his ACL. That rosters would have been pretty damn stacked 1-10 with legit NBA players and adaptability.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its a shame Dario tore his ACL. That rosters would have been pretty damn stacked 1-10 with legit NBA players and adaptability.

Totally agree but I would still be pushing for a more athletic 4 even with Saric.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree but I would still be pushing for a more athletic 4 even with Saric.
I'd be fine with bubble Saric but yeah, the Dario we saw before and after the bubble was a little more limited than we'd like. It would be nice to have a version of him that was too good to come off the bench.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It does complete the roster. Whether he's finished or not, we have no idea but we basically have our rotation in place. He might have another player he's trying to get and that would be nice but unless it's a trade, most of our playing time is accounted for.

We were never going to have a huge makeover, we had no real way to make that happen. And honestly I can't think of a player that we might have been able to get that would have made me think a return to the finals was a foregone conclusion.

Assuming decent health, we're in the running, just like we were this past season and just like that season, we're looking at having to get past a few teams that have more talent than we do. Does adding Noel or someone like him take us from can't do it to can't miss? I just don't see it.

I sincerely hope you are wrong about that being the roster. If so, that's a disappointing offseason. We all saw that a lack of size, toughness, and depth at the post cost us dearly in the finals... and nearly got us knocked out against an overmatched, half-strength Clippers team.

If there is any franchise that should be well aware that finesse basketball isn't going to win out in the NBA post-season, it's the Suns, who have about three dozen data points that have proved it to them first hand.

If Jones insists on going down that same road with his "philosophy," it's going to end up the same way as it has for D'Antoni, Jerry C., Westphal, MacLeod, and everyone else in Suns history who thought the same thing... close but no cigar.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be fine with bubble Saric but yeah, the Dario we saw before and after the bubble was a little more limited than we'd like. It would be nice to have a version of him that was too good to come off the bench.

It's hard to know what was going on with Saric as he was inconsistent much of the season. As yet I can't bring myself to count on Stix so I think a power forward, perhaps someone like Torrey Craig, would be a nice addition. I do think an adequate power forward would get playing time.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sincerely hope you are wrong about that being the roster. If so, that's a disappointing offseason. We all saw that a lack of size, toughness, and depth at the post cost us dearly in the finals... and nearly got us knocked out against an overmatched, half-strength Clippers team.

If there is any franchise that should be well aware that finesse basketball isn't going to win out in the NBA post-season, it's the Suns, who have about three dozen data points that have proved it to them first hand.

If Jones insists on going down that same road with his "philosophy," it's going to end up the same way as it has for D'Antoni, Jerry C., Westphal, MacLeod, and everyone else in Suns history who thought the same thing... close but no cigar.
I don't think we're a finesse team by any means. Yes, we came up short but it wasn't because we were soft. Obviously no team dominates at all 5 positions. Injuries took us away from our strengths and made our weakest area look even more problematic. The only avenue I see of really improving our weak area involves weakening other areas by trading Bridges and probably Johnson.

I'm not against getting more talent at the 4 and 5 spot but how do you do that when you've started from such a deep hole? We jettisoned multiple high picks for little or no value and when we started turning it around we didn't have the value of those draft slots for Bender, Jackson, Chriss and even Warren so we took on a huge contract to try and leap forward.

So now, with no extra draft capitol and very little cap room, we're mostly limited to end of the bench improvements which aren't likely to move the needle much. And I believe continuity and growth from within will likely improve us far more than any mediocre acquisition would have.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree adding a power forward that can play behind Crowder is a must.

If Jalen Smith develops, the power forward position becomes a plus.

Lack of size was the Suns Achilles heel last season. I'm fine with the Suns starters but they need size to be able match-up off the bench with bigger opponents.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently we are bringing back Elfrid Payton?

The only thing I have heard is a mention from John Gambadoro. As a player, he would be excellent as a third point guard. Payne and Payton would be capable of giving Chris Paul some rest. Both can get to the basket.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only thing I have heard is a mention from John Gambadoro. As a player, he would be excellent as a third point guard.

I disagree. He is an asset to the opposition. He can't shoot, he can't create and he doesn't defend, he also likes to dominate the ball when he is in.

The Knicks were waaaaaay worse when he was on the court.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Payton has solid playmaking abilities as he averaged over 6 assists every season sans last year so I'm assuming he played off the ball more for the first time. He's an awful 3 point shooter though.

I'd be pleased with him as our 3rd string PG. He and Payne can cover PG duties for a stretch of games if CP3 misses some time. He's definitely a better pure option at PG than Moore who Monty played out of position.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. He is an asset to the opposition. He can't shoot, he can't create and he doesn't defend, he also likes to dominate the ball when he is in.

The Knicks were waaaaaay worse when he was on the court.

Finding a third point guard that is better than Elfrid Payton will be hard to find.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Payton has solid playmaking abilities as he averaged over 6 assists every season sans last year so I'm assuming he played off the ball more for the first time. He's an awful 3 point shooter though.

I'd be pleased with him as our 3rd string PG. He and Payne can cover PG duties for a stretch of games if CP3 misses some time. He's definitely a better pure option at PG than Moore who Monty played out of position.

At least Payton should see the court whereas that couldn't be said for Carter, Moore and Galloway.

If the Suns can't get stronger at power forward, strengthen another position.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like finding someone worse than him would be the real challenge.

I'd rather have Galloway, Ish Smith... I mean... the list of guys I would put above Payton is basically limitless.

Ish went elsewhere. Galloway is not a point guard. I really liked Payton as a player but I thought there were other issues going on when he was a Sun. If those are resolved I like him as a third point guard.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ish went elsewhere. Galloway is not a point guard.

I still see Ish as a free agent.

Regardless, I don't think Payton belongs in the league.

If we actually signed him I will hope for the best but I also expect that by late November I will be praying for his release.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still see Ish as a free agent.

Regardless, I don't think Payton belongs in the league.

If we actually signed him I will hope for the best but I also expect that by late November I will be praying for his release.

Ish signed a two year deal with Charlotte. I liked him as well. However, for a late signing, Payton is a good addition.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At least Payton should see the court whereas that couldn't be said for Carter, Moore and Galloway.

If the Suns can't get stronger at power forward, strengthen another position.

Agreed. None of the bench guards that you mentioned could run an offense. Moore and especially Galloway were better off the ball while Carter was a defensive pest who could hit the spot up three at times. It's important that we have ballhandlers that can run the offense with an aging CP3.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. None of the bench guards that you mentioned could run an offense. Moore and especially Galloway were better off the ball while Carter was a defensive pest who could hit the spot up three at times. It's important that we have ballhandlers that can run the offense with an aging CP3.

We are in agreement if it happens. The language in the tweets are a bit ambiguous IMO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave