2021 NBA Free Agency and Trades

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is where the Suns roster is at the moment. That's 12 counting Saric and Nader.

The Suns need to add at least two more players to get to 14 with an open roster spot.

PG: Chris Paul, Cam Payne
SG: Devin Booker, Landry Shamet
SF: Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Abdel Nader
PF: Jae Crowder, , Jalen Smith, Dario Saric (out)
C: Deandre Ayton, JaVale McGee

Saric is out for the season. IF they apply for the Disabled Player Exception, he doesn't count as a roster spot.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was really hoping we could get a couple effective ring chasers with minimum deals, or at least draw some more interest with the MLE, etc.

Apparently players still see other opportunities as more attractive then coming to Phx at this point.

Or else the Suns aren't pursuing anyone.

One or the other.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Serious question: Who would you prefer to get the 20 or so minutes at the back-up 4 (assuming you are content with Crowder starting)? That is the one spot where I still see regular major minutes still available on this roster, rather than spot minutes, situational minutes or insurance in the event of injury or foul trouble.
Good post 1Sun. We are looking for a third PF. Cam Johnson is the back up. But yes, we need a third guy and someone with a different physical make-up for when the match up demands it.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They also overpaid to keep his contract at one year.

Why would the Suns WANT to keep his contract at one year? This need isn't going away next season, the Suns don't have a draft pick, and the window with Chris Paul is supposed to be at least two years.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oladipo agrees to return to Heat.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good post 1Sun. We are looking for a third PF. Cam Johnson is the back up. But yes, we need a third guy and someone with a different physical make-up for when the match up demands it.

Follow-up serious question: How can Cam Johnson be effective playing 20 minutes as a back-up 4, and how can the team remain competitive on the boards and defending against points in the paint in that playing time, with Cam having only 210 pounds on a 6'8" frame and not having Shawn Marionesque jump out of the building athleticism?

In my opinion, that is begging to be outmanned and overmatched strength-wise and athletically up front.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Looking at the deals agreed upon by Paul, Payne and Nader, James Jones doesn't leave much meat on the bone. JaVale McGee went about market price... maybe a little more.

Kind of begs the question as to why that is, if this team is supposed to be all in on a championship run.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Better chance of that when the veterans hit the streets after the midseason trade deadline.

And what do we do for quality depth in the meantime, without running our top 7 or 8 players into the ground?

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I was really hoping we could get a couple effective ring chasers with minimum deals, or at least draw some more interest with the MLE, etc.

Apparently players still see other opportunities as more attractive then coming to Phx at this point.
I think the biggest problem is that we don’t have a lot of minutes to offer. Anyone else we sign is probably looking at less than 10 minutes per game at best.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think the biggest problem is that we don’t have a lot of minutes to offer. Anyone else we sign is probably looking at >10 per game at best.
Yeah, I'm not sure I subscribe to that theory either. My hope is that they are very careful with CP3, and load manage/rest him as much as possible. He's another year older and nicked up, coming off a gauntlet of a postseason.

That's where a 3rd guard who could create would be useful and likely average more than 10M minutes per game.

I don't know what you mean about 10 minutes per game in the front court. Ayton and McGee will take the lions share at C, but we definitely have minutes for a more traditional 4. Nader is ok, but he's not a perfect replacement for Torrey Craig.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I wonder why Josh Hart is still available. He can shoot and is a surprisingly good rebounder at 6'5". Hart averaged 8 rebounds per game this past season.

I like Raul Neto and Jeff Teague at point guard.
I’ve always wondered why hart never became a better player. He doesn’t seem to have any big deficiencies in his game, has some elements at which he excels, and seems to always pay hard.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oh boy. With him and Frank we have the modern version of Klein/Schayes in the mid 90's. At least they wouldn't be the starting and backup centers like Klein/Schayes. LOL

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I don't know what you mean about 10 minutes per game in the front court. Ayton and McGee will take the lions share at C, but we definitely have minutes for a more traditional 4. Nader is ok, but he's not a perfect replacement for Torrey Craig.

Crowder averaged 28 minutes a game and we like to go small for about 10 minutes per game. I do agree though that there are more available minutes at the 4 than at any other position, I’m just not sure there have been many free agents that we could afford that would be worth giving significant minutes at the 4.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh boy. With him and Frank we have the modern version of Klein/Schayes in the mid 90's. At least they wouldn't be the starting and backup centers like Klein/Schayes. LOL

He would've drawn so many charges on Giannis. A couple charges in those close games could've made the difference. He fit in well with Monty's system and was a nice change of pace to Ayton at the 5. Assuming he's not hurt, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

We need to try to grab him ASAP. He is just what the doctor ordered. AND he is already familiar with half of our core plus our coach and his system.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Crowder averaged 28 minutes a game and we like to go small for about 10 minutes per game. I do agree though that there are more available minutes at the 4 than at any other position, I’m just not sure there have been many free agents that we could afford that would be worth giving significant minutes at the 4.

The question, though, is why do we like to go small for about 10 minutes per game, when we pretty routinely struggle, particularly defensively and on the boards, when we do.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Follow-up serious question: How can Cam Johnson be effective playing 20 minutes as a back-up 4, and how can the team remain competitive on the boards and defending against points in the paint in that playing time, with Cam having only 210 pounds on a 6'8" frame and not having Shawn Marionesque jump out of the building athleticism?

In my opinion, that is begging to be outmanned and overmatched strength-wise and athletically up front.
I've jumped from two other threads, and I'm starting to think you are obsessed with this topic.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Come home big fella!

I was advocating this all through the Bucks series. He would have been an ideal match up for Lopez, at the very least. And he had a very good year for us last season. I really hope the Suns are looking at him as a third big... he's a better option than Kaminsky.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is something I would have liked. Clearly a salary dump by Golden State.