Suns open Las Vegas Summer League August 8th, 2021

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Let's see if he can hold his own in the G League first before counting on him to contribute in the NBA to a team with championship aspirations.
Championship aspirations? That was last season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Championship aspirations? That was last season.

You don't believe there are championship aspirations this season? I don't see any reason there shouldn't be.

I think Stix will be fine. He had a year to practice with a professional team and will be the featured piece of our Summer League team. He may not be ready to play big minutes this year but he'll be more prepared when or if he's called upon.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
You don't believe there are championship aspirations this season? I don't see any reason there shouldn't be.

I think Stix will be fine. He had a year to practice with a professional team and will be the featured piece of our Summer League team. He may not be ready to play big minutes this year but he'll be more prepared when or if he's called upon.
I am just hoping he can take the Kaminsky minutes and at least match, if not exceed the production. I think he can be a decent player, and that is the stepping stone I would like to see out of him this upcoming year.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just hoping he can take the Kaminsky minutes and at least match, if not exceed the production. I think he can be a decent player, and that is the stepping stone I would like to see out of him this upcoming year.
That would be nice but it would be quite a leap for a player that didn't have much of a preseason and lost a good portion of the shortened season to Covid and injury. As a result he finished the season looking as raw as he did when he entered the league. And now, with a shortened offseason, I don't know what to expect. I guess I'd be happy if he just looked like a real prospect in Summer League.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That would be nice but it would be quite a leap for a player that didn't have much of a preseason and lost a good portion of the shortened season to Covid and injury. As a result he finished the season looking as raw as he did when he entered the league. And now, with a shortened offseason, I don't know what to expect. I guess I'd be happy if he just looked like a real prospect in Summer League.

This. But don't get your hopes up. I think he is still a year away from even that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. But don't get your hopes up. I think he is still a year away from even that.

Yeah I think he is too but hoping is free. As long as the Front Office isn't making decisions based on hope we shouldn't see much of him this season except for summer games and maybe some garbage minutes when the games count.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah I think he is too but hoping is free. As long as the Front Office isn't making decisions based on hope we shouldn't see much of him this season except for summer games and maybe some garbage minutes when the games count.

My fear is that the decision last season not to add another big was based on hope that Stix could contribute.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My fear is that the decision last season not to add another big was based on hope that Stix could contribute.
Maybe to a small extent. But I think they mostly expected bubble Saric and Damian Jones to provide the help we needed at the power spots.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Maybe to a small extent. But I think they mostly expected bubble Saric and Damian Jones to provide the help we needed at the power spots.

But what about when Damian Jones didn't, and they let him go without replacing him?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Drafting Stix early went away from the James Jones philosophy of acquiring players ready to contribute now and it hurt.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But what about when Damian Jones didn't, and they let him go without replacing him?
Well, we did bring Frank back. And we'll never know what happened behind the scenes.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a reminder the Suns open the Las Vegas Summer League on Sunday at 7:30 p.m. and it will be televised on ESPN 2.

Aug. 8: Lakers vs. Suns – 7:30 p.m. (ESPN2) Thomas & Mack Center

Aug. 9: Suns vs. Jazz – 7 p.m. (NBA TV) Thomas & Mack Center

Aug. 12: Suns vs. Nuggets – 7 p.m. (NBA TV) Thomas & Mack Center

Aug. 14: Trail Blazers vs. Suns – 6 p.m. (NBA TV) COX Pavilion

All the games will be televised on ESPN or NBA TV. It can be streamed on the ESPN app.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns announce summer league roster.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian Randle will coach the summer league Suns.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Nuggets figure to put up a lot of points in summer league with this roster.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tyrique Jones a C/F prospect will be an intriguing summer league player to keep an eye on.

Although undrafted in 2020 he is certainly not short on athletic talent.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tyrique Jones a C/F prospect will be an intriguing summer league player to keep an eye on.

Although undrafted in 2020 he is certainly not short on athletic talent.

6-6 center? Nah. I will keep an eye, but he is undersized for pf.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6-6 center? Nah. I will keep an eye, but he is undersized for pf.

Tyrique Jones is listed as C/F prospect on Suns summer league roster. He is 6'9" and weighs 239 pounds. I think he has a chance to play some defensive power forward. He is a tremendous leaper.

Maybe a two-way contract prospect if he shows something.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tyrique Jones is listed as C/F prospect on Suns summer league roster. He is 6'9" and weighs 239 pounds. I think he has a chance to play some defensive power forward. He is a tremendous leaper.

Maybe a two-way contract prospect if he shows something.
The video you posted said he was 2.05 m tall. I went off that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The video you posted said he was 2.05 m tall. I went off that.

I didn't even bother to convert the metrics. Mostly I was going off the numbers from college and scouting sites.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Barkley was 6'6 in shoes on his very best day. If we had Chuck today it would be over.
I don't care how tall the player is, if he can hold down that PF spot and add offense i'm in. I don't even care if he has feet.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA