Landry Shamet traded to suns for Javon Carter and 29th pick

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who signed Carter to a three year contract?
What is your point? Teams sign players all the time thinking they will evolve or contribute. It doesn't always work out. That's not a newsflash.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He also has traded away all of our 2nd rounders, and next years, and this years firsts.

He drafted Cam Johnson because he was 24.

He has also repeatedly said he does not think young players help you win.

The suns fired all their scouts. Don't know what they have now. They sold their G league team.

The evidence is clear for anyone who wants to see it - James Jones hates rookies and developmental projects.
Yeah because the old way was clearly working, amiright?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's because of how much he hates the draft.

He wants it over with, he thinks of it as a burden instead of a way to improve the team.

I actually think he is so concerned about making bad draft picks, he doesn't want to make any. He feels like he can acurately guage veterans, and generally I think he just fears the unknown.

That's my opinion.
This makes no sense at all. You don't think he thought picking Cam was a way to improve the team? I think the ONLY reason he picked Cam is because he thought he would improve the team. And guess what? It worked. Can't believe we're still whining about the Cam Johnson pick. Oh yeah, who just happens to be the most consistent playoff performer on the team this year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns save money on this trade.

1. A slight savings this season compared to paying Carter.

2. The Suns can let Shamet walk the following season if they desire. Carter's salary was guaranteed for 2022-23 season.

3. They don't have to pay the the 29th draft pick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No but there is a balance. Going all veterans is no better than all rookies in the long run.

There is no reason a team can't do both, invest in veterans and youth at the same time on a 15 man roster and 2 two-way contracts.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns save money on this trade.

1. A slight savings this season compared to paying Carter.

2. The Suns can let Shamet walk the following season if they desire. Carter's salary was guaranteed for 2022-23 season.

3. They don't have to pay the the 29th draft pick.
4. They also get a player that potentially could contribute this season
5. Potentially gives you more value from a roster and salary perspective (contributes)
6. Gives you more options at the guard spot, especially if Payne is struggling
7. Potentially gives you more opportunity to rest Booker.
8. Gives you a player who would rank #3 in terms of threes made comparing your current roster.

I am with you though on the money thing. It likely is also about money flexibility in the future.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
aWe are running out of salaries to match in a trade for a big without giving up a core playe no longer have a draft pick to potentially get one there, which means that we have cornered ourselves into needing to sign one rotation big man with the MLE and another one for the minimum. (And yes, we need at least two bigs, given that Ayton is the only big on the roster.)

We can use Dario's disabled player exception to acquire a player in a trade so long as they only have 1 year left on their contract. That will be approximately $4.3 million.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's because of how much he hates the draft.

He wants it over with, he thinks of it as a burden instead of a way to improve the team.

I actually think he is so concerned about making bad draft picks, he doesn't want to make any. He feels like he can acurately guage veterans, and generally I think he just fears the unknown.

That's my opinion.

The way you reach to bash James Jones is astonishing. You give him zero credit for building a team that was the worst in the league when he took over and made it to the NBA finals in 2 seasons.

You hate James Jones as much as you believe he hates the draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can use Dario's disabled player exception to acquire a player in a trade so long as they only have 1 year left on their contract. That will be approximately $4.3 million.

Suns also have bi-annual exception worth about $4 million. I'm not sure if it can be used in trade though.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns also have bi-annual exception worth about $4 million.

Yeah but they can't use that in a trade. 1Sun was complaining about not having any medium-small salaries to use in a trade for a big but that DPE gives them another Carter/Stix type of contract and it won't cost us a player either.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5. Potentially gives you more value from a roster and salary perspective (contributes)
8. Gives you a player who would rank #3 in terms of threes made comparing your current roster.

I am with you though on the money thing. It likely is also about money flexibility in the future.

In regard to #6.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It's an okay deal, but really only fills a low priority need at the moment. I'll get excited when they make a move for some legitimate frontline help for Ayton.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I don’t see how we don’t consider this anything but a W for the Suns. Is it some grandiose move that puts us over the top? Nope. But James Jones continues to add players who can contribute now where the window of opportunity is small with CP, assuming he returns. He netted Craig for nothing, and now turned Carter and a pick that isn’t valued much into a rotational player with experience who serves a need. I liked Carter, but he wasn’t playing with the emergence of Cam. So why not turn that player into someone who fills a role in lieu of keeping a player who is mostly out of the rotation and a pick that is mostly likely the next Alando Tucker?

Franchises like ours cannot afford not to go all in when the opportunity is there. That time is now for us. Yeah, it’s probably gonna hurt for a while when it’s over unless you’re able to reload after CP is gone but the Suns need to do what they can now to build for this run. I absolutely think Shamet fits well here. I trust in Monty’s instincts about players he’s coached after watching Cam last year.

I don’t see anything negative about this especially if we could get a guy like Noel to help shore up the bench. You have to feel as though Cam Johnson and Mikal will keep developing and we all saw Ayton take big strides in the playoffs.

Gotta strike while the iron is hot my friends.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's an okay deal, but really only fills a low priority need at the moment. I'll get excited when they make a move for some legitimate frontline help for Ayton.

I'm mostly looking at the trade as a one-year rental and a money move.

Shamet should help the Suns while he is here but it's hard to get excited about a player they may not keep.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In regard to #6.

I don't think anybody thinks being a primary back up to PG is his role. However, he has played the position, is confident he can play the position and ran a point offense in college where most possessions came through him. It will be up to Monty to assess if he thinks he is good enough to play any minutes at back up PG. Either way, if Payne is struggling? You let Payne bring the ball down and then look for Shamet.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This guy might ride the bench all season long. That is a distinct possibility but I can see why Monty wanted him. His style of play meshes with our team.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Please don't go there. I still have PTSD from the Suns selling away their picks in the Nash era in the name of "money flexibility in the future". It was a primary reason for the awful futility in the first half of the 2010s.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I didn't know we could trade it at all. Still, only being able to use it on a rental player is more limiting than using Carter's contract would have been.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose