Landry Shamet traded to suns for Javon Carter and 29th pick

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Well, it's not terrible. But I feel like he is barely playable in the playoffs.

I kind of feel like I might of just used the pick and hope I get lucky.
Lucky? C'mon man... a #29 pick would not be in the reg season rotation, let alone see any post-season minutes!
Shamet will get serious reg season mins and meaningful playoff mins as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not thrilled with the trade looking at stats. If Shamet could play point guard I would feel better about it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a good trade. Carter wasn't playing and the 29th pick wouldn't have helped you this year. This is not just a swap IMO. Shamet can contribute now. He is a better shooter than Carter and he can handle the ball. He has played backup PG some which means he can switch between both guard positions with his primary role backing up Booker.

The Suns are going after a big man now if anything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Proximo

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
gave Brooklyn 17 minutes a game in the playoffs this year

I am talking about for the Suns - I don't think he is better than Payne. Of course I assuming we resign him.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am talking about for the Suns - I don't think he is better than Payne. Of course I assuming we resign him.
He doesn't need to be better than Payne. This also means you can spell Booker/Paul more often at the same time. Shamet plays both guard positions. This gives the Suns more flexibility in the lineup. He isn't going to put the Suns over the top by any stretch but I have faith Jones is working on another move after doing the smart thing and trading #29 for a player who can contribute more than Carter now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
As I posted on another thread the Suns essentially swapped Jevon Carter and the 29th pick for Landry Shamet.

Shamet is owed $3,768,342 the coming season and is a RFA afterwards.
I love the way you word things. "Essentially"? LOL They DID swap Jevon and the 29th pick for Landry Shamet. :)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
LOVE this trade.
Same. One of the things I said I thought was wrong with the Suns pre-James Jones was they didn't have enough "good players". What I meant by that was that the Suns only had a handful of NBA players on their roster, or players that could play regularly in the NBA.

Carter is a marginal NBA player. The 29th pick rarely becomes more than a marginal NBA player. Shamet is a regular rotation player who brings plus 3 point shooting. One of the holes that the Suns have had that is rarely talked about is having a true backup SG. If they bring back Paul and Payne, they now can rest Booker and Paul at the same time and Payne and Shamet can hold down the fort at bit.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

well, I hope he's not our substitution for Payne. If he's our backup SG, I think it's a really good move. that would change if the plans are him to replace Payne.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nets don't agree, and I don't either.

Shamet really is not that great.

The Suns can walk away from Shamet's salary next year if they desire where Carter was guaranteed $3,925,000 next season.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, I hope he's not our substitution for Payne. If he's our backup SG, I think it's a really good move. that would change if the plans are him to replace Payne.
I agree but he has played a bunch of minutes at PG and can handle the ball. That gives us a ton of flexibility at the guard spots especially if we keep Payne.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree but he has played a bunch of minutes at PG and can handle the ball. That gives us a ton of flexibility at the guard spots especially if we keep Payne.

Shamet averages 1.6 assists for his career, the same as last season.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shamet averages 1.6 assists for his career, the same as last season.
And? He is not coming in there to be Chris Paul. I am saying he adds flexibility at the guard position to help maintain leads when he is in there. Nobody is expecting him to dish out like CP3. By being able to play either position means you can sit Paul/Booker more often together and if Payne is completely off you have another option. That's what I mean by flexibility. He can give you a solid 15 to 20 MPG playing both positions unlike Carter. He could be a good utility backup guard.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've talked about attaching #29 to move Carter so it shouldn't surprise me.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nets don't agree, and I don't either.

Shamet really is not that great.

he’s a role player i don’t think anyone here is saying he’s a star or difference maker but yes he’s better than Reddick.

OP
OP
Proximo

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Payne backs-up Paul... Shamet, I believe, would back-up Book.

I get that, and that's fine for the regular season.

I'm saying he is not good enough to give minutes to in the playoffs. We would play more minutes for our other 3 guards over letting him get time.

Only average and above players should see playoff minutes unless you have no other choice.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And? He is not coming in there to be Chris Paul. I am saying he adds flexibility at the guard position to help maintain leads when he is in there. Nobody is expecting him to dish out like CP3. By being able to play either that means you can sit Paul/Booker more often together and if Payne is completely off you have another option. That's what I mean by flexibility. He can give you a solid 15 to 20 MPG unlike Carter.

Shamet is a shooting guard so I'm glad you are not expecting him to replace Chris Paul.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shamet is a shooting guard so I'm glad you are not expecting him to replace Chris Paul.
You brought up his assists as if that was going to be his primary role. He is a shooting guard who also has played backup PG for stretches. In college he played a "point" position in his offense. Much like Booker you wouldn't want him spending too much time there but it's an option you don't have with Carter. He gives you flexibility. I wasn't suggesting his primary role was a backup PG.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose