Chandler Jones requested a trade

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
He made 16 mil last year for 1 sack (yeah I knew he was hurt) and will make about 20 mil this year on a contract he signed. He should play it out this year and show his worth for a new contract. He’s 31. Prove it time.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NFL players are not billionaires and contracts aren’t guaranteed in the NFL it’s by far the most cut throat when it comes to money for the athlete.

and the NFL didn’t lose money last year.
Did Chandler get paid for not even playing most of the season? :shrug:

I am sure he didn't lose any money either.

He's still under contract and will be paid well this season also.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No reason to trade him.

he has to show up and play well or he kills his future earning potential.

he has no real leverage.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did Chandler get paid for not even playing most of the season? :shrug:

I am sure he didn't lose any money either.

He's still under contract and will be paid well this season also.

this is what we’re doing now. Yeah he got paid to rehab the injury he sustained playing for the team.

I’ll never understand the average mans rush to side with management

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No reason to trade him.

he has to show up and play well or he kills his future earning potential.

he has no real leverage.

nope he has all the leverage. Now teams are going to low ball us knowing he wants out and if he goes crazy or even has a regular Chandler Jones year he damn sure ain’t resigning and we’re going to lose him for nothing or if he does resign it will be for more money than we could of gotten him for before the season.

SK screwed those up royally

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
nope he has all the leverage. Now teams are going to low ball us knowing he wants out and if he goes crazy or even has a regular Chandler Jones year he damn sure ain’t resigning and we’re going to lose him for nothing or if he does resign it will be for more money than we could of gotten him for before the season.

unlike you I don’t want him for more than 2 years anyway. He’s too old.

if he plays well we franchise him for a second year.

he has no leverage.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
unlike you I don’t want him for more than 2 years anyway. He’s too old.

if he plays well we franchise him for a second year.

he has no leverage.

when did I say I wanted to give him a long term extension?

yes if you franchise him your paying him top 5 for a pass rusher and that’s a huge raise...like I said could of had him cheaper

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
when did I say I wanted to give him a long term extension?

yes if you franchise him your paying him top 5 for a pass rusher and that’s a huge raise...like I said could of had him cheaper
Acceptable risk. I think he will be mediocre this season personally.

if I’m wrong you overpay him one season, no big deal. If not you let him go and aren’t trapped in some terrible 3 or 4 year contract.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is what we’re doing now. Yeah he got paid to rehab the injury he sustained playing for the team.

I always admired Junior Seau's perspective. When asked if he wanted the team to rip up his current deal and extend him he said "No. I signed a contract for an agreed amount. Once the deal is over we can talk about a new deal."

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I always admired Junior Seau's perspective. When asked if he wanted the team to rip up his current deal and extend him he said "No. I signed a contract for an agreed amount. Once the deal is over we can talk about a new deal."

and look what Junior Seau got for his troubles. Died broke and killed himself because the CTE literally drove him crazy.

the worst possible example to use he’s the example why these guys should go after ever dollar they can.

NFL teams no have no problem ripping up a contract when a player isn’t useful anymore they damn sure don’t honor those contracts lol

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope we can keep him but if he actually does want to be traded it IMO will be tough to get much value because nobody really knows yet how recovered he is.

Hopefully they can smooth this over the defense appears to be built on the assumption the pass rush will make it easier for the secondary, so losing one of our best pass rushers would be problematic.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score

And the team has him under contract and don’t need to accept low ball offers. I highly doubt he’ll sit out and lose game checks. If he goes out and has a big year and then leaves for more money, then so be it. Beats giving him a huge multi-year contract and hoping he will get back to form after missing most of last year.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Gee Finito, maybe the average man does not get million dollar paychecks and not allowed to tear up their own contracts :raccoon:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
and look what Junior Seau got for his troubles. Died broke and killed himself because the CTE literally drove him crazy.

the worst possible example to use he’s the example why these guys should go after ever dollar they can.

NFL teams no have no problem ripping up a contract when a player isn’t useful anymore they damn sure don’t honor those contracts lol
That’s why they have guaranteed money. Looking at anything else is stupid and I guarantee you good agents only focus on the guaranteed money. And you bet your **** that’s negotiated. In fact it’s likely the core element of the negotiations.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gee Finito, maybe the average man does not get million dollar paychecks and not allowed to tear up their own contracts :raccoon:

but NFL teams are also allowed to tear up those same contracts it’s the nature of the business. Right? Exactly.

I’ve never in my life said oh that guy has more money than me he should do business like this or like that. He’s not doing anything out of the ordinary for the business he’s in.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nothing to see here as far as I can tell.

Even the wording of the tweet makes it sound past tense, as if it was a none starter. Seems just the usual negotiating tactics.

It's a tough one for Keim. On the one hand you have a guy who has been a star in the previous 4 seasons. On the other you have a guy who is 31 coming off injury who looked really poor in his 4.5 games before that injury (1 sack, 1 TFL against some poor opponents).

From CJ's point of view the Cards ride him hard. Barely rest him at all in games. Which at 31 leaves him open to injury with no G money left. It's his last big deal.

I don't think there is any obvious side in the right and I wouldn't be surprised to find that Keim is offering CJ a fair deal in the circumstances but CJ just wants more than he is probably now worth.

Melvin Ingram is only 10 months older than CJ and was allowed to hit FA and sign a 1 year $4m deal. While Ingram was never the sack monster CJ is he has been a superstar D lineman for many years. JJ Watts is a year older and a bigger star in the NFL than CJ has ever been was cut and signed for $14m per.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
What could they trade Chandler for? I’d be shocked if they’d get a 2nd since the new team would also have to cut him a huge slice of the pie. If he has a contract year (which he is fully capable of doing) and bounces in FA, we will have an opportunity for a 3rd rd compensatory. I don’t like the cardinals history of not retaining/extending talent, but they have to make good business decisions at this point. We will be working a new contract for Kyler that is going to break the bank sooner than later. If CJ was 27 or 28, it would make all the sense in the world to extend him, but at 31 coming off a significant injury, it’s a move that could set the team back 2-3 years.

with all that said, I can see CJ playing until he is 35/36.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty much par for the course:

CJ has overdelivered.

The team paid big bucks for one sack,

This figures to be a loss-loss for both parties.

It will take a modicum of creativity and a degree of trust to turn this into a win-win (& I'm not optimistic).