Suns @ Bucks Wednesday Finals game thread 7-14-2021 - Game 4

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Well, I'm not buying that.

The only way the broken nose might be affecting him is by making him less likely to drive into the paint for fear of being hit in the nose again.

The problem is his shot selection. He took bad Booker shots in game 3.

They are taking away his favorite shots, but he needs to work for them instead of settle for 3's, because he is a bad 3 point shooter.

You also weren't buying the possibility of Craig being ok, so...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The issue, or potential issue, extends beyond Booker... both CP3 and Ayton are also logging historic post-season minutes. This article captures this topic quite well. Gary Payton and Jason Kidd are the only other point guards to play more than 500 post-season mins in or after their 16th season! Good news I guess is that both Paytons' and Kidds' teams won the championship!
As for Ayton, he's now hit the 40-minute mark in 5 of the 19 post-season games this year, after only hitting that level of play just once in the regular season. The only other time he hit the 42 minute mark in his career, as he did in Game 2, he missed the next 2 games due to ankle soreness.

Here's the article:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have played 9 games over the past 30 days. Milwaukee’ has been playing without much rest since the first rd. I think Booker not playing had more to do with it being blowout and preventing any technicals.
My point is there is a valid argument in game for playing too many minutes. Three out of those 4 guys have been really inconsistent through 3 games. It might not be a factor at all. I would still still prefer Monty to keep him around 36 to 38 depending on the flow of the game. This series might be a complete grind. The regular season and playoffs already have been.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one new on the Suns injury report.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think most people are talking in game management. Not how he feels after a 2 or 3 day break. It doesn't matter how old you are you have limits. It's called reality.

if you want to “be legendary” you find a way to push through limits. We are EARLY in this series after a WEEK of rest. If fatigue is a factor for our young guys, then they aren’t prepared to win a title.

I’m not buying fatigue for anyone but CP3 at this point.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think most people are talking in game management. Not how he feels after a 2 or 3 day break. It doesn't matter how old you are you have limits. It's called reality.

the reality is he had 2 days before the game and we’re entering a stretch where we have 2 games in 8 days. Stop making excuse for him. He played bad and that’s it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the reality is he had 2 days before the game and we’re entering a stretch where we have 2 games in 8 days. Stop making excuse for him. He played bad and that’s it.
OK. 3 out of the last 4 guys that played almost 40 minutes have not played consistently in the playoffs. I am sure that a coincidence. Look, he is young. His recovery time post game isn't in question. He is only 24. I digress. I guess you know more than every NBA coach who manages player minutes regardless of age. I said in another comment it might not be a factor at all but I get the argument it might.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hadn't seen it mentioned and I'm a little surprised. I didnt think of it until today either. Booker's broken nose has to mess with his breathing. That could be why he's not effective as usual when playing big minutes. Even as it heals and he's able to breathe more with his nose, its going to take a little time until he's accustomed to doing so again.

BTW I hate Patrick Beverley.

Reaction score
I would keep Crowder on G.

Some of our problems have been present throughout the playoffs (which is saying a lot!) namely, still missing a lot of layups; roller-coaster games from Bridges and Crowder. Need more consistency there. Give G his points, shut down the others.

Drive, drive, drive. We shoot FTs better than anyone in the league; the Bucks suck at FTs. We can't lose that battle (G had more than our whole team).

Finally, a little more offensive glass-crashing is needed. Too often Ayton is under there alone. Yeah, you risk some G breaks, but more offensive rebounding will keep the Bucks home.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would keep Crowder on G.

Some of our problems have been present throughout the playoffs (which is saying a lot!) namely, still missing a lot of layups; roller-coaster games from Bridges and Crowder. Need more consistency there. Give G his points, shut down the others.

Drive, drive, drive. We shoot FTs better than anyone in the league; the Bucks suck at FTs. We can't lose that battle (G had more than our whole team).

Finally, a little more offensive glass-crashing is needed. Too often Ayton is under there alone. Yeah, you risk some G breaks, but more offensive rebounding will keep the Bucks home.
Easier said than done. The Suns tried to do that last game and the Bucks kept forcing a switch. I agree with the next part. The Suns have fallen in love with the three a little too much. Live by the 3 die by the 3. Get to the free throw line. The Suns have to get to the line. Also, agree with the last part. I was so sick of seeing Ayton under the hoop with 3 guys from the other team while guys like Bridges were nowhere near the boards.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hadn't seen it mentioned and I'm a little surprised. I didnt think of it until today either. Booker's broken nose has to mess with his breathing. That could be why he's not effective as usual when playing big minutes. Even as it heals and he's able to breathe more with his nose, its going to take a little time until he's accustomed to doing so again.

BTW I hate Patrick Beverley.

It does. I'm not sure how relevant it is to his shooting problems that seem to be even worse at the start of the game but it's quite possible it played a factor in Monty resting him like he did in game 3.

And yes, I'm sure that even Patrick Beverley hates Patrick Beverley.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It does. I'm not sure how relevant it is to his shooting problems that seem to be even worse at the start of the game but it's quite possible it played a factor in Monty resting him like he did in game 3.

And yes, I'm sure that even Patrick Beverley hates Patrick Beverley.

Booker seems to be a player who needs to get into a rhythm to be effective and not being able to breathe normally could be effecting his ability to establish a rhythm. Maybe? I think breathing abnormally can cause issues beyond fatigue.

I hope he's better and more the Booker from the regular season and first round. Its been a while now since his face was busted so while he may not be heeled, I'd hope he's more comfortable at this point.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What’s up y’all. I’m a Suns fan in Austin, TX. I appreciate this group and love reading this message board. I heard Skip say that Book is dealing with a tight hammy, which makes sense because he was settling for jumpshots. I love this team (like everyone on this board). When we play Phoenix Suns basketball, we’re a better team than Milwaukee. Tonight’s gonna be a war. More to do, More to come. Let’s go Suns!!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s up y’all. I’m a Suns fan in Austin, TX. I appreciate this group and love reading this message board. I heard Skip say that Book is dealing with a tight hammy, which makes sense because he was settling for jumpshots. I love this team (like everyone on this board). When we play Phoenix Suns basketball, we’re a better team than Milwaukee. Tonight’s gonna be a war. More to do, More to come. Let’s go Suns!!
Well that explains a lot. Welcome and thanks for the information.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
IIRC, I think Book ran into the tight hammy problem earlier in the regular season...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easier said than done. The Suns tried to do that last game and the Bucks kept forcing a switch. I agree with the next part. The Suns have fallen in love with the three a little too much. Live by the 3 die by the 3. Get to the free throw line. The Suns have to get to the line. Also, agree with the last part. I was so sick of seeing Ayton under the hoop with 3 guys from the other team while guys like Bridges were nowhere near the boards.

yup. This team is most successful when they are gang rebounding. That’s needed more than ever against a team with a huge height advantage against us.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn