PFT on Kliff

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Is Kliff Kingsbury on the hot seat in Arizona? - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

hardly a surprise here, given half the board wanted him gone after 2 seasons

but... the fun fact that amazes me: the Cards in the last 100 years haven't kept a coach longer than 6 seasons.

that's hard to do. It also speaks to why they haven't been good on a consistent basis.

I think changing head coaches is more likely to set a franchise back for a year or two before it moves it forward --

the scheme changes, so the roster turns over as players that fit the prior scheme get jettisoned for players that fit the new.

players have to learn a new scheme

the scouting department has to start looking for different types of players, and doesn't get much experience in looking at college players that should fit the scheme and then seeing how they actually fit the scheme.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Is Kliff Kingsbury on the hot seat in Arizona? - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

but... the fun fact that amazes me: the Cards in the last 100 years haven't kept a coach longer than 6 seasons.

that's hard to do. It also speaks to why they haven't been good on a consistent basis.

I think changing head coaches is more likely to set a franchise back for a year or two before it moves it forward --

the scheme changes, so the roster turns over as players that fit the prior scheme get jettisoned for players that fit the new.

the scouting department has to start looking for different types of players, and doesn't get much experience in looking at college players that should fit the scheme and then seeing how they actually fit the scheme.
Changes coaches may set a franchise back but if KK doesn’t become the guy to take them forward there is no option.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don’t like how the media seems to put KK on the forefront before Keim.

same. Makes no sense to me. It’s like the way people kept on defending McD with the Suns who ended up disaster after disaster year after year, Coach after coach, draft pick after draft pick.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I have no faith in Kliff. It was a joke of a hire when it was announced, and I think it will continue to be such. Its really a shame, because we have a roster that can make the playoffs. I hope he proves me wrong, but I think we wasted a rookie contract.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
KK's seat should be warm, not hot. Steady improvement since the 3-13 year with Wilkes cools off KKs seat a bit.

Im not sure Kliff is the answer but at least he's not Wilkes with the "run it up the A gap x100"

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The negativity on this board before training camp has even started is remarkable.
It is unbelievable. We went 8-8 two years removed from being the worst team in the NFL. Definitely the worst Cardinal team I have seen & I’ve been watching this franchise since 1964. And we still have so many on this board either whining about our HC, but even more wanting our GM’s scalp. Whatever.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I really don’t like how the media seems to put KK on the forefront before Keim.

same. Makes no sense to me. It’s like the way people kept on defending McD with the Suns who ended up disaster after disaster year after year, Coach after coach, draft pick after draft pick.
Keim is far more media savvy. Keim is "cool" with the media. Kliff is just the cool guy to them.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim is far more media savvy. Keim is "cool" with the media. Kliff is just the cool guy to them.

Keim is a blowhard who spent time in Jail a couple years ago for being a complete and utter piece of crap, reckless *******. He deserves no cover for that alone, no less the 5 straight seasons out of the playoffs.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Better that the players have to learn another scheme than to languish under a coach in so far over his head he'd have to dig a 1,000 feet upwards just to drown in the ocean. Besides, if you have the talent, and you hire the right coach, it's not going to take forever to turn it around.

Edit: And hire a competent GM.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The negativity on this board before training camp has even started is remarkable.
No hard and fast rules:

In most cases, poorly run franchises pull the trigger too rapidly.

But there are cases (& KK isn't one of them) when tactically and culturally, the team is up against a brick wall and a change should be made (Perfect example: Wilkes).

We're still watching KK grow as a coach. - gotta give him an honest shot.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Who hired him?

Who was responsible for all the failed draft picks before KK got hired?
I think it is a package deal. I’m certainly one of Keim’s biggest detractors on this board.

The point of my post is the sport media built Kingsbury up as a revolutionary offensive genius is proving them wrong. They are not going to treat him well in future articles if he continues to fail or underachieve.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I ain’t a Kliff fan.

but we knew when he was hired that he was gonna be learning on the job. We knew he was only hired to be HC because we were afraid another team would steal him if he knocked it out of the park as an OC
We knew it was going to take a few years for him to adjust to coaching nfl instead of college.

imo the best way to put KK on the hot seat is to fire Steve Keim... remove kliff safety net and make him sink or swim on his own...

I thought it was a five year plan with kingsbury anyway so if this season doesn’t go as planned fire keim and have a sit down with kliff discussing his future....

if he really just ain’t getting it then maybe bring in an experienced HC and make kliff OC/Asst HC for a few years

I really think they hired kliff to be a twenty year solution and I think he can be that if he’s willing to learn, adapt, and grow as a coach

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
We are in a division which will always be tough. And so many teams are getting better and harder to beat each year. As long as we stay at .500 or above there is hope that we can have a breakout year in the near future. KK should and will keep learning how to win in the NFL, so unless we just totally tank one year where we stay healthy but only win 2-5 games, I can't see us needing a change at HC. Remember, the top tear coaches never want to come here to coach, so going from one poor to mediocre coach to another is a waste of energy, time, and morale. But what do I know?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
im more concerned about his capability to learn instead of his willingness. He’s made a lot of really dumb calls over the past couple years that even modest armchair coaches know better.
I agree... I chalk that up to being too focused on the moment.... the game is the big picture.... normally on third and four at midfield you would call play A or B.... but there is 2 minutes left in the half and we’re down by three so we should call play C since their starting corner just went down....
But kliff is focused too much on the drive to see the game situation and he calls play A

hopefully exposure and experience will get him to the point where he can see the drive and the game at the same time.... much like a young player needing the game to slow down for them

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He's not revolutionary, but he's still a capable NFL playcaller. We finished the year 6th in yards per game. That is the top of our division, after being dead last in the league with Wilks. That type of improvement doesnt just happen by accident and I don't think that sort of accomplishment should just be handwaved away or taken for granted. However despite being 6th in yards per game, we were only 14th in points per game, which speaks to penalties and missed field goals. Stuff that can be cleaned up.

I'm also a little skeptical of the horrible playcalls being all on Kliff. Its so hard to know what went wrong without studying film. A good playcall can look like the worst thing in the world if even one of your players messes up. That and its on the QB to audible into different calls to adjust for the defense. We know Kyler has some occasional boneheaded mistakes in that department at times, such as checking into a bubble screen on 3rd and long.

My point is that while Kliff will always take full responsibility in press conferences, I don't think its all on him.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It is unbelievable. We went 8-8 two years removed from being the worst team in the NFL. Definitely the worst Cardinal team I have seen & I’ve been watching this franchise since 1964. And we still have so many on this board either whining about our HC, but even more wanting our GM’s scalp. Whatever.
We went 8-8 with an epic collapse down the stretch. We haven't made the playoffs in half a decade. It's pretty unanimously thought we'll be fighting for 3rd in the division with 4th as a reality. Our coach has had two winning seasons at any level of the sport in what has been close to a decade. Our GM has the least success in the draft of any over the past 5 years, and that's not hyperbole, there's metrics to show it.

To claim everything is okay because this franchise's ineptitude has beaten you into the ground so much that an outside shot at the last wild card spot is acceptable, is unbelievable. Or remarkable. Whatever.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose